UFC:Top 10 Submission Artists

Area809

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Was just watching UFC top 10 submission artists on FS1. They had Damian Maia at #8, so I had to turn off the tv at that point.

Let me know who you’re putting ahead of Maia, past and present in the UFC.

They are so fucking biased they might put Conor McGregor at #1. lol.

Seriously though, Maia at #8? I'm even curious to see who are the first 7. I think it's just plain impossible to name seven people ahead of Demian Maia.

They are so fucking biased they might put Conor McGregor at #1. lol.

Seriously though, Maia at #8? I'm even curious to see who are the first 7. I think it's just plain impossible to name seven people ahead of Demian Maia.

My thoughts exactly. He might not be #1, but there can’t be 7 people better than him.

Royce is obviously #1.

I'd put Mir above Maia, not as good a grappler but no one had subs in the UFC like Mir. Snapped Nog's arm, snapped Timmeh's arm, knee barred Brock etc.

But I'd probably have Maia at 3

8 is fucking insane lol

Was just watching UFC top 10 submission artists on FS1. They had Damian Maia at #8, so I had to turn off the tv at that point.

Let me know who you’re putting ahead of Maia, past and present in the UFC.
Good call turning it off.

Royce is obviously #1.

I'd put Mir above Maia, not as good a grappler but no one had subs in the UFC like Mir. Snapped Nog's arm, snapped Timmeh's arm, knee barred Brock etc.

8 is fucking insane lol
Why is he no 1? Dude was playing with a full deck and got owned in bjj compeitions.

Off the top of my head. Jacare, Werdum, Mir, Maia, Nog, Gonzaga, Penn. Can’t think of enough to even put 7 above Maia.

Royce is obviously #1.

8 is fucking insane lol
I'm in the same boat as this guy, mma submissions aren't the same as BJJ competitions.

9 submission wins in 28 fights. Half of which were were 10 years ago.
Think most of his submission wins have been by rear naked choke... maybe a couple triangles/mounted triangles

No doubt he's one of the top grapplers in all of MMA but when you're consistently fighting top 10 guys, its hard to get submission wins, which is why he had so many when he first joined the organization.

So i guess it would come down on how you score someone on being a "submission artist"

# of submission wins?
Submission variety?
Submissions against ranked competition?

Last edited:
I would maybe have him at 4/5. Maia is an excellent grappler, but he is not a guy to hunt submissions from all positions and in transitions. He takes his time for control and usually makes his opponents do mistakes. Someone like Ortega, Jacare and probably Werdum are more active in seeking submissions.

Da Bronx, Maia, Oly, Jacare, Werdum, Mir (ex UFC now, but still), Ortega...fuck am I forgetting. I didn't watch that shit, probably done by the same idiot who does their rankings.

Gunnar Nelson has 12 of his 16 wins by submission. That's pretty impressive.

Off the top of my head. Jacare, Werdum, Mir, Maia, Nog, Gonzaga, Penn. Can’t think of enough to even put 7 above Maia.
I think they may have put Nate over him by sheer number of subs. Crazy to me but meh

Back