UFC Tonight: Chael Sonnen will NOT be retiring, is seeking a fight with Wanderlei

markg171

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
UFC Tonight ‏@UFCTonight
"I’ll fight at 205. I’m not retiring. I’m 36 years old. I have a lot of goals and not going to reach them if I retire." - @Sonnench

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani
Chael on @UFCTonight: "I'm not going anywhere until me and Wanderlei straighten this thing out once and for all." Yes, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool. Like watching him fight. A bout with Wanderlei Silva is very likely.

He better drop back down to MW he can't hold down LHWs like he does at MW.

From UFC Tonight on FUEL interview w/Ken Flo

Sounded like maybe he wants to hang around in case Anderson loses the belt or retires.

Hmm, don't agree with that choice. He belongs in MW imo.

Edit: but a LHW bout with Wanderlei is very ideal. I figured he was testing the waters with Wanderlei at the post fight presser when he mentioned him.

Of course he isn't retiring. How would he get another undeserved title shot if he did? For those who can't see the future, let me clue you in. Sonnen is going to be put against two fighters he is likely to beat. By the time those two fights are over Jones will have cleared out the last few LHW contenders and Sonnen will be thrust back into another title shot.

Via Sonnen on UFC Tonight!

War Wand!

Just saw it..but he mentioned it at the press conference the other night.....he will smash wandy into a much needed retirement before he turns into gary goodridege..only wandy nuthuggers can think he will win.....:icon_lol:

No way Chael retires. Can you imagine being done with the thing you're best at in life when you're only 36 and still able-bodied? He's making good money. A Sonnen-Wandy grudge match sounds like fun. I think Wandy would rather fight strikers at this point though.

Sonnen vs Wanderlei would be sick. Chael is still a top 5 MW/LHW. He can fight for a bit longer as long as he stays healthy and injury free...and on TRT.

Wand is a gun ho fighter, he can really take Sonnen out. Sure he will get taken down more than likely. But Sonnen aint gonna sub him or even hurt him on the ground

Of course he isn't retiring. How would he get another undeserved title shot if he did? For those who can't see the future, let me clue you in. Sonnen is going to be put against two fighters he is likely to beat. By the time those two fights are over Jones will have cleared out the last few LHW contenders and Sonnen will be thrust back into another title shot.

Yawn.......yet another jealous Sonnen hater....:eek:

Just saw it..but he mentioned it at the press conference the other night.....he will smash wandy into a much needed retirement before he turns into gary goodridege..only wandy nuthuggers can think he will win.....:icon_lol:

Saw all this prior to the Stann fight :icon_chee

Wand hits hard as fuck and has the most ruthless killer instinct in the history of MMA, you can't count him outta any fight.

Great fight. Long time coming too. Glad Sonnen is not retiring. Although now I'm torn on who to cheer for. I hate it when this happens

This would be a sick retirement fight for both of them either at MW or LHW!!!

Wanderlei vs. Chael could very well be like Wanderlei vs. Tito Ortiz. I haven't really seen Wanderlei do any BJJ from his back or really get up from bottom. I could picture Chael taking him down and arm triangling him.

Chael easily via being a really slick wrestler. If he tries to stand at all though he risks Wand putting him to sleep.

Back