UFC Structure Of Fighter Pay Is Corrupt

Some MMA fans don't get that
Dallas Cowboys & NY Yankees are the most profitable teams in their sports.
Neither were champs in this decade

Dallas didn't win one the last decade either!

That’s all very well and good but the popularity doesn’t translate to what’s important which is ppv buys. Nate never headlined a ppv before conor. Most of his fights were free fox cards and shit.
What numbers did Nick Diaz personally do without gsp?

Allow me:
Diaz vs Penn 280,000 buys
Diaz vs condit 400,000 buys
Diaz vs gsp 950,000 buys
Diaz vs silva 650,000 buys

As you can see aside from the proven draw of gsp nick did pretty low numbers in a time the average buy rate was decent.
Even against Anderson Silva those numbers were not fantastic
Not fantastic numbers not shit either
And thats gsps 3rd biggest ppv and probably condits (bar the gsp fight)
Bar the obvious squash match vs penn
Nate had always drawn attention when he fought and nows been on 2 of the biggest ppvs ever...conor or not that attention doesnt all go away

This isn't the NBA where the sport is bigger than the athletes, the superstardom of the athlete is what determines your pay, nothing more, nothing less.

It was more of a sport then. Fighter pay was based upon winning fights and being the champion. There was one champion and he had to be prepared to defend against anyone. Now it is a spectacle because fighter pay isn't based on being the best fighter in the UFC; it's based upon having the loudest mouth and the most attention getting stunts outside the Octagon, none of which have anything to do with athleticism and toughness.

If we did what your suggesting now people would be dead..and the sport would cease to exist as no1 below heavyweight would really try to be champion..regardless of how skilled they are ..you think MM or McGregor is gunna line up to fight stipe or any heavyweight for huge sums of money..no..because what's the point of having money if your not around to enjoy it..because your a vegetable or worse for fighting a guy that size..I get your point as far as the current antic's of fighters it's definitely going back to a spectacule entertainment based pay scale but that's the filthy casuals faults and the ferrititas selling it to WME..

Are you seriously comparing fighter pay from 15-20 years ago to today and that it's unfair? For real? Every champ make decent money nowadays and if you can sell fights you earn a lot of money. I don't understand how it can be so difficult to understand.

Where’s your proof the Diaz brothers are worth anything ? Nate was famously not a needle mover, he only drew big numbers fighting Conor. Nick Diaz was from fighting gsp.Nate Diaz was on practically nothing but free cards prior to fighting Conor so that itself shows his worth.

They are just two lucky idiots with overinflated egos that almost match their even more overinflated skills.
If we went by actually fighting success( which I think a lot of people say they want) then nick should be paid peanuts since he hasn’t won a fight in the ufc since bj Penn in 2011 which by the way is is sole if win. The guy is 1-3 in under the ufc banner. Any other fighter would be cut.

I wish I could 'like' this post more than once.

Erm no dana said he wasnt a needle mover which was wrong
The diaz brothers? Name a dull diaz fight? Shit every other word from their mouths gets reposted on every mma forum for days and that was all wayy before conor
If we go by fighting skills few have had an easy time with either..if we go by interest generated ,gate and ppv etc they seem to be some of the most popular fighters in mma

If the Diaz's were big names themselves, they wouldn't care who they fought because they could generate the buys on their own name. Even they know they don't move the needle. That's why they try to fight the biggest names out there and don't seem to care about the titles.

If the Diaz's were big names themselves, they wouldn't care who they fought because they could generate the buys on their own name. Even they know they don't move the needle. That's why they try to fight the biggest names out there and don't seem to care about the titles.
Well theyd be stupid to try and fight someone else for lesser pay no?
And again the non needle mover stuff was from dana aka lies

Ummm, Coleman, Severn and Kerr were the biggest guys.

They weren't the biggest guys to ever fight in The UFC. Remember Matua? He weighed around 400 pounds but 260 pound Tank Abbott was willing to get in The Octagon and fight him and guess what? Tank hit Matua so hard that Matua didn't just get knocked out; he went into convulsions. To do that Tank had to be willing to step into the cage with a guy who outweighed him by about the same amount Conor McGregor weighs. Tank was good and he was exciting and he drew a lot of viewers.

Tank in his prime went all the way to the finals of The Ultimate Ultimate 96 where he faced Don Frye in the main event. Both men had already fought twice that night. Frye was giving up at least 40 pounds to Abbott, maybe considerably more. Tank was beating the hell out of Frye but Frye persevered and choked out Abbott.

These are the types of courageous fighters who if they were in their primes today would be worth far more than a guy like McGregor who I make an example of just because he is paid so much even though he only has a fraction of the courage and toughness of Don Frye or Tank Abbott. Do you think Dana White could get McGregor to fight 3 times in the same night, facing guys who outweighed him by 40 or 50 pounds in some of those fights? Not a chance. The Ultimate Ultimate showed who the toughest man in The UFC at that time was. Not the toughest man at 155 or less but the toughest man in the UFC, period.

I've heard the argument that men the size of Conor McGregor wouldn't have a chance if they were to reinstate open weight tournaments of up to 3 fights a night and maybe he wouldn't although Royce Gracie did extremely well in those types of tournaments despite being roughly the size of today's welterweights, perhaps even slightly smaller. This is the fight business though whether you're talking about MMA, or my favorite - NHB. I don't believe that just any man is entitled to be able to make a living fighting in MMA or NHB no matter how small he is. We now have 135 pound guys getting into MMA and one of them even has a gold championship belt even though he's never beaten anyone in The UFC who outweighs him by even 15 pounds. He's protected against the multitudes of bigger fighters who could beat him, even though some are still only 145 or 155 pounds.

It makes about as much sense for a 135 man to get into pro fighting as it would for a 200 pound man to become a professional jockey. Not everyone is simply entitled to compete at the professional level of any sport he chooses. You don't see 5 foot 6 inch basketball players in The NBA. I suppose they could create a league for men who are 5 foot 10 or under so that everyone would have a chance but it would be about as meaningful as these "participation trophies" that kids are getting today for losing games, just because they showed up and played. I believe that whole mentality is damaging not only to sports but to society in the long run.

UFC rips of all the fighters, that's been known forever
But it's still: whoever brings in the most, gets the most

The more money you bring in, the more money you get paid.

That may or may not be correlated with being the *best* fighter inside the cage.

What is so hard to understand about that?

TS, if the UFC get 1.5 million PPV's based almost entirely from Conor's popularity, would it be unreasonable for him to be handsomely compensated?

They weren't the biggest guys to ever fight in The UFC. Remember Matua? He weighed around 400 pounds but 260 pound Tank Abbott was willing to get in The Octagon and fight him and guess what? Tank hit Matua so hard that Matua didn't just get knocked out; he went into convulsions. To do that Tank had to be willing to step into the cage with a guy who outweighed him by about the same amount Conor McGregor weighs. Tank was good and he was exciting and he drew a lot of viewers.

Tank in his prime went all the way to the finals of The Ultimate Ultimate 96 where he faced Don Frye in the main event. Both men had already fought twice that night. Frye was giving up at least 40 pounds to Abbott, maybe considerably more. Tank was beating the hell out of Frye but Frye persevered and choked out Abbott.

These are the types of courageous fighters who if they were in their primes today would be worth far more than a guy like McGregor who I make an example of just because he is paid so much even though he only has a fraction of the courage and toughness of Don Frye or Tank Abbott. Do you think Dana White could get McGregor to fight 3 times in the same night, facing guys who outweighed him by 40 or 50 pounds in some of those fights? Not a chance. The Ultimate Ultimate showed who the toughest man in The UFC at that time was. Not the toughest man at 155 or less but the toughest man in the UFC, period.

I've heard the argument that men the size of Conor McGregor wouldn't have a chance if they were to reinstate open weight tournaments of up to 3 fights a night and maybe he wouldn't although Royce Gracie did extremely well in those types of tournaments despite being roughly the size of today's welterweights, perhaps even slightly smaller. This is the fight business though whether you're talking about MMA, or my favorite - NHB. I don't believe that just any man is entitled to be able to make a living fighting in MMA or NHB no matter how small he is. We now have 135 pound guys getting into MMA and one of them even has a gold championship belt even though he's never beaten anyone in The UFC who outweighs him by even 15 pounds. He's protected against the multitudes of bigger fighters who could beat him, even though some are still only 145 or 155 pounds.

It makes about as much sense for a 135 man to get into pro fighting as it would for a 200 pound man to become a professional jockey. Not everyone is simply entitled to compete at the professional level of any sport he chooses. You don't see 5 foot 6 inch basketball players in The NBA. I suppose they could create a league for men who are 5 foot 10 or under so that everyone would have a chance but it would be about as meaningful as these "participation trophies" that kids are getting today for losing games, just because they showed up and played. I believe that whole mentality is damaging not only to sports but to society in the long run.

Matua was a fat ass. 6'2" and reportedly 400 pounds. That is NOT athletic. Severn, Frye and Kerr were the biggest ACTUAL fighters. Tank was just a brawler.

You like the heavyweights. I get that. I like them too. You dislike the manlets. I get that. I dislike them too. But there are not enough skilled heavyweights to keep our attention. There are not even enough heavyweights to keep the UFC heavyweight division interesting. Perhaps it is because they hit so friggin hard and the margin for error is smaller than in every other division. What is the record for UFC heavyweight title defenses? 2?

But weight classes exist for one simple reason - if two fighters are equally talented, the bigger one will win.

You can claim Conor isn't a real badass because he won't fight 200 pounders if you like. But don't try to justify it because Severn, Kerr and Frye fought fat ass bar room brawler cans.

To be fair to the UFC, Canelo base purse vs GGG was only $5 million. Conor last ufc based purse was $3 million. Not too far off.

Back