UFC statement on Glibert Burns

I don't understand why they don't just contact the other camp and recommend a catchweight.

I really like Mr. Burns but this is not excellent

Is there precedent for that??

Unfortunately, yes.
Especially recently.

I don't have time to search for an interview or article right now, but you can surely find some yourself.
I'll quote you again sometime later and post a few links or something if you want.

It happens mostly with more unknown fighters, more well-known fighters usually get their show money. But if you're a unknown fighter you're shit out of luck.
At most you'll get half of the show money if you actually make weight, but if you can't even make it to the weigh-ins because your opponent drops out early you're usually not getting paid at all. Or at least that's how I understood it, looking at recent precedents.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, yes.
Especially recently.

I don't have time to search for an interview or article right now, but you can surely find some yourself.

I'll quote you again sometime later and post a few links or something if you want.
Dodson didn't get paid after refusing to fight when Munhoz came in overweight. Menga missed vs. Elliott and the fight was cancelled, Elliott only got his show money. Michel Prazeres missed, and then came in over another limit set by the commission. Desmond Green got 40% (rather than the usual 20) of Prazeres's purse for accepting the fight, but still lost. Vitor didn't get paid vs. Hall.

Most of the guys that miss are fighting opponents who are making well over the minimum though, so...

Thing is, a lot of guys are being pressured to accept fights that aren't what they originally agreed to/trained for. If I accepted a fight at 136 like Dodson, and the other guy decided he didn't want a brutal cut and came in at 140... fuck that guy, pay me. If I trained for months to fight a guy I know is a striker, and suddenly you scrap that and replace him with a wrestler or whatever... again, fuck that. That's how you get bizarre results like Charlie Brenneman beating Rick Story.

I recall a lot of talk last year about how they were looking to implement certain guidelines for the amount of weight you show up at early on fight week... also monitoring it again a time or 2 as fight night gets closer, with medical exams as needed etc.... Since different weights can allow for more or less mass... I recall the guidelines being discussed at a percentage... not just like 10 lbs over no matter what you weigh. For example... 10 lbs. over to a heavyweight isn't that big of a percentage of his mass... but 10 lbs over for a flyweight is much more significant.

I haven't heard what came of all that, but there was a serious discussion about it with the possibility of implementing such practices.

Have you heard anything more on this @Pacemaker Joe ?

What happens to the opponent? Has to make weight? Do they get paid?

They spent a lot preparing for this fight.
Typically the UFC is only obligated to pay upon weighing in. They will probably give OAM something though.

186 for a LW fight is disgusting. Good on them for nixing the bout.

I recall a lot of talk last year about how they were looking to implement certain guidelines for the amount of weight you show up at early on fight week... also monitoring it again a time or 2 as fight night gets closer, with medical exams as needed etc.... Since different weights can allow for more or less mass... I recall the guidelines being discussed at a percentage... not just like 10 lbs over no matter what you weigh. For example... 10 lbs. over to a heavyweight isn't that big of a percentage of his mass... but 10 lbs over for a flyweight is much more significant.

I haven't heard what came of all that, but there was a serious discussion about it with the possibility of implementing such practices.

Have you heard anything more on this @Pacemaker Joe ?
AFAIK, only CSAC, CABMMA, and Mohegan Sun have implemented it at the commission level, and CABMMA and MS have only done a partial implementation.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/2/...ommission-pass-new-weight-cutting-regulations

CSAC has told Moraes, Alcantara and I think one other fighter to move up in weight in the last few months.

Here's CSAC's plan (it's buried at page 50 or so of the PDF, so screenshots):
http://www.dca.ca.gov/csac/meetings/materials/20170516.pdf
upload_2018-2-21_15-13-52.png
upload_2018-2-21_15-14-11.png

"According to sources, Burns arrived in Orlando weighing 186 pounds. The UFC is currently hoping to reschedule him on the April 14 UFC on FOX 29 card. Aubin-Mercier is expected to fight sooner."
Haha 30 lbs over. #professionalism #FatGilbert

giphy.gif

This is good to see UFC intervening on extreme weight cutting. 33 pounds is fucking absurd.

You're too fat, move away from the buffet and up a weight class.
1516765372517.jpg

AFAIK, only CSAC, CABMMA, and Mohegan Sun have implemented it at the commission level, and CABMMA and MS have only done a partial implementation.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/2/...ommission-pass-new-weight-cutting-regulations

CSAC has told Moraes, Alcantara and I think one other fighter to move up in weight in the last few months.

Here's CSAC's plan (it's buried at page 50 or so of the PDF, so screenshots):
http://www.dca.ca.gov/csac/meetings/materials/20170516.pdf
View attachment 344255
View attachment 344257
Yes bro... that's exactly what I was remembering. Wow... so this thing is live now. EEK! :eek:

Is this what happened to our man Gilbert... or was it something else?

Yes bro... that's exactly what I was remembering. Wow... so this thing is live now. EEK! :eek:

Is this what happened to our man Gilbert... or was it something else?
It was in FL, so I don't think it was the commission. Looks like the UFC decided this is better press than having someone look like skeletor, or miss weight badly, and used the CSAC regs as a guide. I have no problem with that.

let's just get rid of weight cutting so that these fighters can focus on fighting?
people don't get how much better the fights would be if fighters spent the entire camp focused on fighting instead of six weeks or more of starving themselves. weight cuts are serious affecting the quality of fights and the fighters ability to take a hit.

186 three days out? Jesus, dude, did you even try?

Burns should just use the No hot water in the hotel defense

Back