UFC shot itself in the foot.

The Fertittas were getting ready to sell the ufc years ago before the deal.

USADA came to help the sale and make it seem some legit company which will be clean for the future and help it, though it did backfire but they were not really fussed as they were leaving, and their top draws at that time were never going to get busted (Ronda/Conor)

Zuffa > Pride, in terms of corruptions

And all these interim belts/underserved title shots were happening when Zuffa were in charge, which is way I laughed when retards argued with me saying zuffa were not selling up anytime soon when it was pretty obvious they were,

WME are just clueless and carrying on where Zuffa left except they will make it more of a mess and soon add more divisions and have watered down cards thinking 3 belt cards mean something.

I agree. Reebok is also part of Fertittas plan to sell the UFC. I am sure Fertittas know that fighters, cutmen and coaches earn a lot of money through sponsors but in order to attract gullible investors like WME-IMG they needed to get the Reebok deal.

I don't think the public would mind at all. MMA has been "painted in a horrible light" from the very start. It's now quite respectable. Other than facing gov sanctions or bans of some sort, I don't see how some HBO special could really hurt the UFC.

It's now quite respectable because of changes like USADA. They introduced rounds, rules, better reffing. All in a bid to make it more legitimate.

Introducing actual drug testing is just another stepping stone on the road to legitimacy. It hasn't become 'quite respectable' randomly.

In summary:
-> Sport with PEDs = freak show ala WWE. Good entertainment IF you want to buy it but no real emotional investment or attachment to the sport itself.
-> Sport without PEDs = legitimate sport, parents want to get their kids into it, talent pool expands, people watch because they love the sport and are invested in it/dream of being a fighter, rather than just watching it for the "shallow" aspect of a spectacle.

I guess the summary probably catches most of the argument but in my view the UFC has to be seen as legitimate sport that mums and dads WANT to get their kids into. Yes, it's always going to be a violent sport, but I would argue that american football is equally violent given the ferocity of some of the collisions. Some parents are comfortable with their kids getting hurt and some are not. If the UFC can legitimize itself and if it can get a groundswell of support as a legitimate sport that then increases the talent pool which in itself will increase the entertainment value. Ensuring the sport is properly regulated is just one step on this journey.

Thing though is that who wants to get their kids into a sport with low pay and brain damage? Longevity in this sport is maybe 10 years now without steroids. Hard to be rich in this sport, many safer alternatives

I think this is a niche fighting game and will be, it'll never be mainstream no matter how they wrap this. Fertitta genius to sell for 5 billion. Just look at wmma, honestly garbage.

Wht abiut fan favorites like Clay Gilda? No promotion or respect by UFC. Left fielders in baseball get more respect.

It's now quite respectable because of changes like USADA. They introduced rounds, rules, better reffing. All in a bid to make it more legitimate.

Introducing actual drug testing is just another stepping stone on the road to legitimacy. It hasn't become 'quite respectable' randomly.
You've got a point. I'd like to see them battle the weight-cutting issues in the future - by weighing fighters on the day of the fight for example.

The reason for USDA wasn't solely to clean the sport up, it was to cover their asses when people started to sue.

You've got a point. I'd like to see them battle the weight-cutting issues in the future - by weighing fighters on the day of the fight for example.
Ye I think weight cutting will be the next thing they tackle, or at least I hope so.

Every major sporting league has a set of rules in regards to PED's. While some are more credible then others, and others are more interested in $$$$ rather then losing stars to suspensions.

[QU
OTE="ChefC, post: 133893195, member: 371983"]Ye I think weight cutting will be the next thing they tackle, or at least I hope so.[/QUOTE]

I hope so my friend. Not sure if we have enough time to educate before we lose a name we all know. Then maybe, just maybe, they might be FORCED to do something. While I am not condemning guys for cuttn weight. The UFC is to blame for their fighters. They COULD change their weigh inns to the same day as the fight, if they would not lose money somehow. Its an extra public appearance for all to gloat.

Appreciate the responses. While you guys make good points about USADA as a step to legitimize the sport to make it mainstream , the fact is its not legitimate in every other sense. In a real sport the top contenders get the championship fight/game/match. WME are pushing for money fights which is whatever but dont call it legitimate.

Appreciate the responses. While you guys make good points about USADA as a step to legitimize the sport to make it mainstream , the fact is its not legitimate in every other sense. In a real sport the top contenders get the championship fight/game/match. WME are pushing for money fights which is whatever but dont call it legitimate.
There's more legitimate title fights than there are weird super fights and line jumping.

People around here just focus on the bad because they don't like the fighters who get to jump the line (read: Connor).

2h4ykhj.gif

There's more legitimate title fights than there are weird super fights and line jumping.

People around here just focus on the bad because they don't like the fighters who get to jump the line (read: Connor).

So there are exceptions to legitimacy? Ok so we'll give the most popular guy the shot at the olympic gold medal instead of the guy that worked his way through the ranks.

My point is if you're using olympic level drug testing, then might as well be legitimate every other way no exceptions

It's not that the UFC is dying, its that it's in the worse state it's been in since it was first bought and brought back to life.

Shit has not been good lately and you know it.
I love it when people decide what other people know.

The Drug testing is so over the top its been a terrible thing for the sport.

Doesn't anyone really think if an athlete breaks a limb and the doctor prescribes them steroids like the rest of us would get they shouldn't take them.. be forced to spend longer healing, wasting the few short years they can make money in their profession because "out of competition" testing would bust them.

Also the suspensions handed out are so inconsistent it makes the whole thing look a joke. Machida busted for some over the counter substance... public hanging. Nick Diaz for weed for life in jail without parole but Brock lesnar got a pass on taking half of the 1st worlds supply of steroids.

Scrap testing, its been a shit thing for the fans who see fighters sidelined for injuries longer, missing events because they aren't feeling up to it... at the end of the day testing has gone overboard in an attempt to shot how legit and mainstream two men elbowing each other in the face in a cage is? Fuck that, it doesn't need more strict testing than boxing.

Back