UFC PPV sales 2017 *updated for UFC 214*

Canelo just did more than the ufc combined in 1 event, so much for boxing dying

This is something that is challenging. With so many of the younger generations using streaming sources for TV, it will be challenging to keep this model in its current format. The irony here is that, we have a large portion of our fan base calling for higher salaries for the fighters, yet the same people are streaming the fights and not paying for the content.

The Fox deal is a bit longer than it could have been. The revenue stream from networks is going to have to account for a higher percentage of their revenue.

The model will certainly change a bit once the inherited contracts expire. It will be interesting to see where things are in 5 years.
Leaving the PPV business was the best move Vince ever made IMO for long term sustained growth of WWE. Working on my MBA one of the things I really wanted to study and research was emerging trends in the IT world specifically centered around WEB 2.0 any how millennial driven it is. The basic gist is that millennial's have grown up in a completely different world then previous generations with the presence of the Internet and connected devices in their entire lives. This has resulted in dramatic shifts in traditional distribution models which. Web/distribution content was always static before, you got what you were given. In Web 2.0 content is user driven and more dynamic. This is why we have blogs, social media and user generated web content with open source aspects. This is all rolled into millennial attitudes and wants vs traditional ones. You can see why static content delivered at the producers whim and time is a dying model when millenial's were raised in a connected, digital world full of dynamic content. Streaming and user driven programming is the wave of the future IMO. There is a bunch more to it that delves into social-societal aspects and other factors but those are not quick discussions lol.

Leaving the PPV business was the best move Vince ever made IMO for long term sustained growth of WWE. Working on my MBA one of the things I really wanted to study and research was emerging trends in the IT world specifically centered around WEB 2.0 any how millennial driven it is. The basic gist is that millennial's have grown up in a completely different world then previous generations with the presence of the Internet and connected devices in their entire lives. This has resulted in dramatic shifts in traditional distribution models which. Web/distribution content was always static before, you got what you were given. In Web 2.0 content is user driven and more dynamic. This is why we have blogs, social media and user generated web content with open source aspects. This is all rolled into millennial attitudes and wants vs traditional ones. You can see why static content delivered at the producers whim and time is a dying model when millenial's were raised in a connected, digital world full of dynamic content. Streaming and user driven programming is the wave of the future IMO. There is a bunch more to it that delves into social-societal aspects and other factors but those are not quick discussions lol.

The mistake VKM made was including Mania in WWE-N
The plan was to never include it, because it was a steady 750-1.2m buy PPV internationally.
That is about a $25+m a year loss they never recoup.
Vince panicked a few weeks before the announcement bc early projections were VERY SOFT & included it & regretted it since.
WWE projected 3million by this time & they do about 1.5m paid during Mania month.
It was forward thinking, but they thought it would do a lot better.

The mistake VKM made was including Mania in WWE-N
The plan was to never include it, because it was a steady 750-1.2m buy PPV internationally.
That is about a $25+m a year loss they never recoup.
Vince panicked a few weeks before the announcement bc early projections were VERY SOFT & included it & regretted it since.
WWE projected 3million by this time & they do about 1.5m paid during Mania month.
It was forward thinking, but they thought it would do a lot better.
Yea leaving the big 3 or even just WM on PPV would have helped to keep those feeling "big" instead of another monthly event under the network. I do believe that is where the UFC is headed with more TV and digital content but leaving big fights for PPV. Like you keep on saying 2018/2019 is a big measuring stick to see where WME is moving the UFC to, content distribution wise.

No, I probably should as I was such a huge fan as a kid. Got any good links?

Meltzer but its behind a paywall

http://quotes.wsj.com/WWE/financials/annual/income-statement

Most interesting thing about WWE is how much they spend to make compared to UFC
In 2015 they made $658.8 million but only $24.1 million profit
2016 was $729.2 million & $33.8 million profit

& according to SD, WWE is much bigger than UFC & Vince could buy UFC (remember that?)

As huge as WWE is, UFC did 3x the profit in the "dying" year of 2014

Damn UFC 211 only sold 300k? It seems like 80% of people who buy Conor and Ronda's fights were total casuals

Nope.

I'm not a casual and I don't pay for UFC ppv's since the UFC's mistreatment of fighters and of Stitch.

But I go out of my way to pay for the Conor one's because he deserves it :D

Purely amazing

He pulls 70% out of his ASS
I give past figures as a barometer & .................

NEVER-MIND
In all the SD post today, that might be the one that takes the cake ... not in a good way

Purely amazing

He pulls 70% out of his ASS
I give past figures as a barometer & .................

NEVER-MIND
In all the SD post today, that might be the one that takes the cake ... not in a good way

Since 2012 55% of UFC revenue still comes from live PPV events (PPV, Live gate, and CC). The other 45% comes from merch, FOX, etc). PPV is still the lead profit center for the UFC..

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/10/...odys-and-standard-poors-tell-us-about-the-ufc

Last edited:
Damn. 211 was one of the best events in the last year or so. Casuals really just want to see colorful characters do battle like a god damned video game.

This is why the new owners are so desperate to get this Conor/Floyd fight going.

"The UFC claimed its EBITDA (earnings before interest, tax and depreciation) was $170 million from June 2015 to June 2016. But to get those bonuses, the new owners need to bump that figure to $275 million – an increase of approximately 61 percent – through June 2017 to earn a $175 million payout.

By the end of 2018, that figure needs to increase to $350 million to earn an additional $75 million."

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/10/ufc-do...-and-increase-earn-outs-by-shrinking-expenses

Damn. 211 was one of the best events in the last year or so. Casuals really just want to see colorful characters do battle like a god damned video game.

Part that & plus there are so many options these days that they want to KNOW who is fighting so they can care.
Just guys competing in MMA is not enough these days to get "PPV Chip-In Parties" going

Plus 20-somethings don't do PPV & they were the big audience 10 years ago

Ass kissing parade in this thread

More threads like this and sherdogs numbers will continue to drop just like the ufcs.

Curious who would be the next fighter(s) they know of?
Probably Nate Diaz. A lot of casuals want to see a third Nate-Conor match.

Among young people (I'm 22), I have friends who like Cody Garbrandt.

Back