UFC PPV sales 2017 *updated for UFC 214*

Remember UFC PPVs in 2014? Pretty much the same as this year.

Good post, but the Fox deal is "longer" that it could be? Why do you say that?
I have guesses, but don't want to put words in your mouth ... I mean post ;)

The amount that a UFC deal would be worth now on the open market would be significantly greater than they currently receive from Fox. That revenue would be a huge boost to a struggling bottom line right now.

Meltzer but its behind a paywall

http://quotes.wsj.com/WWE/financials/annual/income-statement

Most interesting thing about WWE is how much they spend to make compared to UFC
In 2015 they made $658.8 million but only $24.1 million profit
2016 was $729.2 million & $33.8 million profit

& according to SD, WWE is much bigger than UFC & Vince could buy UFC (remember that?)

As huge as WWE is, UFC did 3x the profit in the "dying" year of 2014

WWE puts on a lot more shows that are not aired on TV. The costs of venue, talent and production of those shows must be a break even proposition at best.

WWE puts on a lot more shows that are not aired on TV. The costs of venue, talent and production of those shows must be a break even proposition at best.

Actually they do OK on the 'house shows'.
The attendance is about the same, but they raised ticket prices.
they also do more this year than last since they did the split brands.
But they spend well over $9 to make $10. It is a very strange industry.

Actually they do OK on the 'house shows'.
The attendance is about the same, but they raised ticket prices.
they also do more this year than last since they did the split brands.
But they spend well over $9 to make $10. It is a very strange industry.

What really is amazing is they have been in business forever with those margins too! Other smaller leagues always hemorrhage money.

What really is amazing is they have been in business forever with those margins too! Other smaller leagues always hemorrhage money.
Every year I still watch Wrestlemania and there's always the most ridiculous attendance upward of 100 thousand people. So i'm sure they still have lots of fans.

I mean when WWE came here to Toronto last year they did 3 shows back to back to back and all three were sold out. Meanwhile when the UFC came to same arena a month after with 206 it was only 75% sold. Not only that but the day before the UFC Toronto PPV they were also in Albany, New York with Derrick Lewis. I attended that too and arena was barely 50% sold despite lower level tickets selling for $37 and they came with a free drink and hot dog (no bulls**t). Students with ID were even being let in to prime seating for $20.

Last edited:
Repost by request for @ThePeoplesMMA

Tagged a few that I know like this info

I went looking for some info I was not 100% on & ...

UFC's current Fox deal averages about $110m a year for 7 years. Topping off at about $150m in 2018.
Like most TV deals it escalated yearly.
Also UFC carries ALL cost for production. That was something Lorenzo insisted on & Ari is not a fan of.
Expected US TV bidders are Fox (*huge favorite) Turner & NBC with others (ESPN most likely bidding but not $300m per)
As I said in many threads, UFC is open to a true partner as far as UFC goes or just a partial partner (content distribution related) **
& ... like I & many others have posted, the WME era begins with this deal *** - no matter how badly some think Ari lives & dies by every PPV & rating ;)

_

* Fox Sports is considered a front-runner to renew the deal because UFC programming is a big part of FS1’s schedule and generally draws the channel’s biggest ratings. FS1’s program schedule would have a big hole to fill if the UFC went to another network.

** The package the UFC will take to market will include the rights to four annual broadcast windows that Fox now holds, six annual cable events and weekly programming on Fox Sports 1, plus the UFC’s over-the-top Fight Pass service. It is not expected to include the UFC’s lucrative pay-per-view business, which will likely be retained by WME-IMG. But some media executives believe any winning bidder will have more of a say in what matches will be part of the UFC’s pay-per-view events. Whether a network will share in some of the PPV revenue is a deal point that will be negotiated, sources said.

*** The negotiations mark the first significant deal under the UFC’s new owners, WME-IMG, who paid $4 billion for the company in July. Much of the company’s aggressive bid was based on leveraging the UFC’s media rights around the world, especially domestically. This will test its bullish attitude about the marketplace.
The UFC’s timing is noteworthy. On the plus side, it comes when most major sports rights are tied up well into the next decade, making the UFC appealing to media companies looking to grow their audience with the UFC’s fans, who are coveted by all networks because of their youth and passion.

Above info from Meltzer, SBJ at various times since the deal

Last edited:
Put them on Fight Pass and sign me up.
PPV model is too fucken expensive these days with all the alternatives.
49.95 SD feed
59.95 HD feed
69.95 4K feed
Anyone with a computer and a pulse: Free

Yea the circus act sure did help boost the sells.

But don't make any mistake about it Conor was built up and supported 100% by the UFC he went on tours and was on event type cards.
*make no mistake about it

if you wanted to swagger jack conor's lingo

Canelo beat all the UFC 2017 PPV buys in 1 fight.

Nate diaz is a needle mover , what ufc "who is terrible at promoting fighters" should promote his return, pay him what he wants and give him a big fight

Back