UFC PPV sales 2017 *updated for UFC 214*

You got a source on those numbers ? could swear 211 would do better.

These are Meltzers numbers:
UFC 208 PPV buys: 200,000
UFC 209 PPV buys: 300,000
UFC 210 PPV buys: 300,000

211 is too early but the few providers that reported (so far) are similar to 209/210

@wilKO was pretty close ITT

I agree. They both helped each other. But it's easy to see why Dana and co want this Mayweather fight. It's not just for Conor.

Of course it's great business and publicity for all parties involved.

Only way this is getting stopped it's by to much greed from one side.. that's it.

Considering Floyd screwed it up and laid an egg in that big PPV that they waited so much to book it and when they finally did it sucked .. people are kinda turned away by him then we add in the big "40" that means the death of athleticism, I guess you can combat it to an extent do to modern medicine but any casual will know the real score.

I think they will underestimate this event if they drag it out to long it's a fun freak fight but it's a freak fight and people slowly but surely will lose interest and realize this is one big ass circus of a cash grab.

Lol the entire year profit for 2017 ppvs isn't even going to cover close of their yearly interest they have ever to pay on their fat debt. Wme is literally going to run ufc into the ground and I hope they do and the fertittas buy it back for much much less.

Thank you.
Very nice to ready my man
Glad it pleases you. You are one of the most interesting guys here, and also are almost always a pleasant guy to deal with.

I am in business, though a very different one to the entertainment industry, so I enjoy the facts and insight you provide as well as the manner in which you provide it. The way in which the WME conglomerate will cover the cost of purchasing the UFC and make money into the future from the sport we love should be of great interest to MMA fans, even those who are anti-UFC.

Lol the entire year profit for 2017 ppvs isn't even going to cover close of their yearly interest they have ever to pay on their fat debt. Wme is literally going to run ufc into the ground and I hope they do and the fertittas buy it back for much much less.
I think WME won't make the majority of their profit from PPVs sold to the North American market in the future. They are an entertainment group. I'm sure their plan is based on a mid-term (5 year) projection.

Glad it pleases you. You are one of the most interesting guys here, and also are almost always a pleasant guy to deal with.

I am in business, though a very different one to the entertainment industry, so I enjoy the facts and insight you provide as well as the manner in which you provide it. The way in which the WME conglomerate will cover the cost of purchasing the UFC and make money into the future from the sport we love should be of great interest to MMA fans, even those who are anti-UFC.

Again I appreciate it.
Most people who are in business & have MBA's etc, have said some very nice things about the research I do.
But its SD & a few nitwits will get involved in most threads.

What type of biz are you in & what is your assessment on things I discuss (even if its opposite)

PPV isn't their only source of income man. You got tv deals all around the world, fight pass, merchandise, gate $$, etc. but yes, overall ppv this years have been a disappointment.

UFC 211 having 2 title fights and a stacked card and getting at most 350k buys isn't a great sign. They obviously made money, but still 350k seems low.

PPV isn't their only source of income man. You got tv deals all around the world, fight pass, merchandise, gate $$, etc. but yes, overall ppv this years have been a disappointment.

UFC 211 having 2 title fights and a stacked card and getting at most 350k buys isn't a great sign. They obviously made money, but still 350k seems low.

You are correct, but to be fair @Ol'Ironhead point is valid.
2017 could be a break-even year for WME's investment in UFC (not UFC itself).

Why? Most HW title fights with Cain, Werdum, JDS and Stipe were in 200-300k range and Joanna is also not a draw.
Stipe-Reem was 450k only because it had CM Punk.

You got it
But to your point, 211 if it lands at 300k is bad.
Some numbers (TV) had a lot of interest so I hope final numbers are higher, but anything 350k & under is bad sadly.
Yeah TBH I was expecting in the low 400's would be great to hear 500 but IMO thats over shooting it a bit.

Just goes to show you how popular Mcgregor really is. Stipe is a savage tho

You are correct, but to be fair @Ol'Ironhead point is valid.
2017 could be a break-even year for WME's investment in UFC (not UFC itself).
Yea that two billion that they have to pay interest on is gonna definitely hurt. Wasn't it around 150 million in interest per year? Like I said they obviously made money on the event, but still, getting 200k, 200k, 300k, etc. is definitely a disappointment for them and the fact that a stacked card doesn't do great with multiple title fights is very worrisome imo.

Why? Most HW title fights with Cain, Werdum, JDS and Stipe were in 200-300k range and Joanna is also not a draw.
Stipe-Reem was 450k only because it had CM Punk.

Why? Because i could just pull random numbers out my ass too .. thats why i asked for a source ... I dont see why Stipe couldn't realistically pull in the 400's . . . with the whole city of cleveland behind him lol

Yea that two billion that they have to pay interest on is gonna definitely hurt. Wasn't it around 150 million in interest per year? Like I said they obviously made money on the event, but still, getting 200k, 200k, 300k, etc. is definitely a disappointment for them and the fact that a stacked card doesn't do great with multiple title fights is very worrisome imo.

I seen different numbers from $90-125m a year (maybe $150m).
I'll be honest that is out of anything I am good at knowing.

For those that do not read other threads where this gets discussed:
WME knew everything until 01/19 would be largely under a business model that they want to change. This was known & discussed after the sale.
Nobody is happy making less money, but they worked with UFC & knew all the risk of the investment.

The truth is we will have an idea by 2020 if WME's plan is working & what they need to tweak.
They are still under past contracts that they cannot change as far as content distribution & even the dreaded Reebok deal.

Again I appreciate it.
Most people who are in business & have MBA's etc, have said some very nice things about the research I do.
But its SD & a few nitwits will get involved in most threads.

What type of biz are you in & what is your assessment on things I discuss (even if its opposite)
My business is completely different. I deal with personal hygiene essentials. My primary focus is business development based on market analytics.

I was once asked what I do for a living. I romanticised the answer, responding that I convinced businessmen to take a risk and do what they never realised they always wanted to do while helping the women of the world.

But a more succinct way to put things would be: I sell toilet paper and menstrual pads/tampons to retailers. I sell a lot - millions worth - and am very successful convincing people to do things they'd never imagined they'd do with Feminine Hygiene. Not glamorous, but reasonably lucrative for my company, my clients and myself.

Entertainment is a bit of an enigma to me, only because Australia has a completely different approach to televised content to North America. I'm not familiar with potential revenue streams in the domestic market there. But I realise that the UFC, be they Zuffa or WME controlled, must know that they need to plumb international markets to maximise their revenue potential. And for WME to spend $4.2bn to buy the UFC suggests they have some strategies which go beyond the standard US PPV model - they are NOT dumb guys and would not buy the UFC unless they believed there was money to be made.

I like your posts because they provide information about the market quickly - I don't need to do research, you do it for me/us. Often you also provide some top line analysis which saves me thinking about things. And I can post crap at the same time and wind up Conor haters. Very near a perfect world.

My business is completely different. I deal with personal hygiene essentials. My primary focus is business development based on market analytics.

I was once asked what I do for a living. I romanticised the answer, responding that I convinced businessmen to take a risk and do what they never realised they always wanted to do while helping the women of the world.

But a more succinct way to put things would be: I sell toilet paper and menstrual pads/tampons to retailers. I sell a lot - millions worth - and am very successful convincing people to do things they'd never imagined they'd do with Feminine Hygiene. Not glamorous, but reasonably lucrative for my company, my clients and myself.

Entertainment is a bit of an enigma to me, only because Australia has a completely different approach to televised content to North America. I'm not familiar with potential revenue streams in the domestic market there. But I realise that the UFC, be they Zuffa or WME controlled, must know that they need to plumb international markets to maximise their revenue potential. And for WME to spend $4.2bn to buy the UFC suggests they have some strategies which go beyond the standard US PPV model - they are NOT dumb guys and would not buy the UFC unless they believed there was money to be made.

Congrats on your success in business. Excellent to read!

Last edited:
Back