UFC needs a meaningful tournament

gnarlynasty

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Imagine a tournament where a male or female weight division gets chosen at random and the top 16 fighters of that weight class(including champion)gets a chance to fight for the biggest money they’ll ever make in their MMA career(at least 20 million)and a special one-off title to commemorate the tournament and their achievement.

The weight division gets chosen months in advanced so everyone can prepare,anyone who gets injured will just be replaced. The tournament starts at the beginning of the year.Champ vs 15,1 vs 14,2 vs 13,3 vs 12 and 4 vs 11 on the main card with the rest of tournament fights on the prelims.

Set dates will be applied to each event,like I said,anyone who’s injured is simply replaced. I would imagine the final fight would take place around August.

I know Dana said he would never do tournaments to protect the fighters but I think for a life changing prize,the fighters will be willing to take the risk. And can you imagine the tension and drama the finale fight would create,it would be similar to the fucking Super Bowl imo.

I think it’s a spectacle that casuals and hardcores could appreciate cause it would basically give a pinnacle to the sport of MMA. It would create stories and drama people could follow.

I there would be some more stuff to get straight then what I explained but I truly think this should be the next evolution the UFC takes. It won’t be in the McGregor/Dana era tho but maybe one day.

prolly not gonna happen but id love this to become reality one day

Not to believe Dana but I think he’s serious( no tournaments)and Full of shit about fighter health ; I think it’s money and it fuks up ppvs and matchmaking before and after the tournament.

Not to believe Dana but I think he’s serious( no tournaments)and Full of shit about fighter health ; I think it’s money and it fuks up ppvs and matchmaking before and after the tournament.
Yeah,this is pretty much why it’ll never happen in the Dana era. Any business knows that they gotta take loses before they see huge gains tho.

If Max beats Frankie, and defends against Emmett (Frankie beats Ortega and Emmett beats Jeremy), then moves up to 155 to rematch Conor, fight Tony, etc.. then 145 would be perfect for a tournament styled event.

Left side bracket .. Right side bracket
Emmett vs Edgar .. Fili vs Ortega
Stephens vs Johnson .. Yair vs Jury
Elkins vs Cub .. Choi vs Cruz
Bektic vs TJ .. Mendes vs Bermudez
Lamas and Kattar as left side bracket replacements, Jung and Moicano as right side bracket replacements
Winner is Champ

Or say TJ gets beat by DJ at 125 and injured in doing so, putting him out for over a year, a tournament at 135 could be perfect to determine next in line to fight for title, or strip TJ and give belt to winner of tournament, instead of an interim title.

Cody vs Linekar .. Sterling vs Cruz
Moraes vs Font .. Rivera vs Assuncao
Dodson vs Cejudo .. Wineland vs Tim
Johns vs Caraway .. Lopez vs Munhoz
Almaieda and O'Malley as right side bracket replacements, Stamman and Lopez as left side bracket replacements
Winner is either Champ or gets next title shot

Pretty much what Pride used to do. It was awesome. Created stars. Made me care about people I had never heard of a month or two before. It's simple marketing and I'd love to see it again

Back