UFC must implement Championship rules to prevent McGregor & GSP debacles

The Highlight

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Here me out.... I'm a huge fan of UFC, but it bothers me how entire divisions are disrespected when Champions hold the belt hostage. Let alone the top contenders who are just sitting around waiting for their shot while the "champion" is playing games and using the belt as nothing more than a symbol of self-worth rather than a respected accomplishment.

To make things fair for ALL the fighters there should be two rules set in place to establish title legitimacy:

1. You must defend the belt within one year of obtaining the belt otherwise you must forfeit it (the only exception being injury).
  2. A belt must be defended at least once before competing for a belt in another division (this would've prevented McG & GSP's division screw-over). Of course, I'm assuming GSP will want to fight for the title in a different division next because I seriously doubt he'll take a non-title fight. The idea here is you have to EARN your shot.

Last edited:
What was the GSP debacle? He won the belt then vacated it.

Money will override everything. This is the WME era. It sucks but what can you do.

GSP defended his WW title 9 times before competing for the MW belt...

How are you putting GSP in the same category as McGregor in all this?

He is not holding up any division. He won the MW belt after a massive consecutive defense streak at WW, vacated immediately after realizing he won't be defending it. Conor clogged up two divisions back to back because of his ego.

You can't force someone to fight

If someone wants to vacate a title they are powerless to stop it.

TS google search how the WBO and WBA titles work. They give each fighter a year to defend vs. a Top Contender according to their rankings. A lot of times fighters just drop the belt for greener pastures. Money fights are the future unfortunately. I will say it was great to see Ortega and Ngannou bring some fresh air to the title picture

If that was the case they wouldn't of brought in USADA. Lot's of $$$$$$$$ lost on the absence of Jon Jones

There was a post on here regarding USDA-UFC loop hold. Basically the UFC is a paying customer and they can waive certain requirements for fighters. ie..we don't know if Conor or Ronda were being tested as previously being reported.

There was a post on here regarding USDA-UFC loop hold. Basically the UFC is a paying customer and they can waive certain requirements for fighters. ie..we don't know if Conor or Ronda were being tested as previously being reported.
i could be wrong, or it could have been staged, but didn't conor have video of a usada rep showing up to his house absurdly early in the morning?

Back