UFC may be showing 47 shows per year with new deal

dertdent

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
ESPN has 30 shows. The UFC is not cutting back on ppvs(12-13 events) and now Meltzer reports that there also may be 5 fight pass shows. That's 47-48 shows, up from 39 in 2017(22 FOX, 12 ppvs and 5 fightpass). It's going to be a ratings bonanza.

One of the other aspects of the UFC-ESPN arrangement is that there won’t be a reduction in annual pay-per-view cards. The UFC has run 12-13 PPVs regularly over the past several years, and that remains unchanged under the new contract. As if that wasn’t enough, Meltzer also wrote that it’s believed that there will also be “about five events on Fight Pass.” That means we could return to what transpired in 2014, when the UFC ran a staggering 46 shows, including two in one day on multiple occasions.

That isn’t to say that the UFC hadn’t entertained cutting down on PPV shows. However, according to Meltzer, that was “back when the expectation was getting $200 million for television rights,” as opposed to the $150 million they wound up with.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/5/...eal-ufc-played-chicken-with-fox-lost-mma-news

I wish they'd have 2 cards a week. Watching people compete in MMA is fun.

ESPN has 30 shows. The UFC is not cutting back on ppvs(12-13 events) and now Meltzer reports that there also may be 5 fight pass shows. That's 47-48 shows, up from 39 in 2017(22 FOX, 12 ppvs and 5 fightpass). It's going to be a ratings bonanza.

One of the other aspects of the UFC-ESPN arrangement is that there won’t be a reduction in annual pay-per-view cards. The UFC has run 12-13 PPVs regularly over the past several years, and that remains unchanged under the new contract. As if that wasn’t enough, Meltzer also wrote that it’s believed that there will also be “about five events on Fight Pass.” That means we could return to what transpired in 2014, when the UFC ran a staggering 46 shows, including two in one day on multiple occasions.

That isn’t to say that the UFC hadn’t entertained cutting down on PPV shows. However, according to Meltzer, that was “back when the expectation was getting $200 million for television rights,” as opposed to the $150 million they wound up with.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/5/...eal-ufc-played-chicken-with-fox-lost-mma-news
and that kills the ufc off outside the us

if i don't watch it live
i don't bother at all

2 events the first 2 weeks of the month & 1 PPV the last weekend of the month. Wish it was this way.

I'd say I'll be skipping about half of 'em if that's the case.

47 shows of varying quality throughout the year is way too much.

A card every week basically.

I wish they'd have 2 cards a week. Watching people compete in MMA is fun.
Watching random guy 1 fight random guy 2, really adds to the excitement. Far less predictable then watching fighters we've seen before.

I wouldnt mind if they had same number of fighters but just have them fight more than once or twice a year...

AHAHAHAHAHA

they're fucked. Welcome to complete jank 2018.

Watching random guy 1 fight random guy 2, really adds to the excitement. Far less predictable then watching fighters we've seen before.
Everyone except Brock Leaner was random guy at one point in their career. Watching great fighters fight is great, but there is also a lot of fun in watching young fighters grow.

Get ready for a shit ton of WMMA...

giphy.gif

Last edited:

So how did you ever become a fan of fighters you didn't know if you only like watching fighters you know?

I want to see the UFC go straight WWE. Backyard Brawls, ladder matches, no holds barred, casket matches, weapons allowed, no disqualifications, etc, etc....

Back