UFC is about to blow UP because of ESPN

ugh I hate the new fans, but I guess it's worth it in the long run. Or is it? Not like I'm getting paid for any of this :oops:

I hate most of the old fans too but not all of them.

On top of that, unless the UFC disassociates itself from many of its racist fans, and some of its racist fighters, ESPN will not take kindly to their product.

Dana White's complicity with Trump complicates that dynamic, and I can see some reckoning coming down the pipe soon.

Good points. I can just imagine that idiot Colby spewing his stupid bs and rustling a lot of casual jimmies. It’s okay on PPV but on an overly sensitive network cable channel like ESPN that’s been more conservative and PC than ever before? Bad mix.

Anywho... at the end of of the day UFC is cage fighting. There’s the diehards that make up a small niche group relative to the casuals that will probably always remain casuals and then the largest group of them all... the people who know what the UFC is and don’t give a fuck about it or MMA in general and ESPN isn’t going to magically change their minds. Let’s be real... just because WE love it doesn’t mean everyone else does or will and that’s okay. It’s not for everybody.

Good points. I can just imagine that idiot Colby spewing his stupid bs and rustling a lot of casual jimmies. It’s okay on PPV but on an overly sensitive network cable channel like ESPN that’s been more conservative and PC than ever before? Bad mix.

Anywho... at the end of of the day UFC is cage fighting. There’s the diehards that make up a small niche group relative to the casuals that will probably always remain casuals and then the largest group of them all... the people who know what the UFC is and don’t give a fuck about it or MMA in general and ESPN isn’t going to magically change their minds. Let’s be real... just because WE love it doesn’t mean everyone else does or will and that’s okay. It’s not for everybody.
True.

I've been watching since its inception. This is just another transition. I used to get all defensive with new fans , now I welcome it. Sorts evolve, is normal

ESPN's not even blowing up because of ESPN...That's why they have to lay people off.

MMA ganna MMA, the platform doesn't matter.

Some people just don't like watching something as violent as 2 people beating each other up.

UFC caters to all lifestyles and personalities, for those people who don't want to watch violence they have WMMA.

Some people just don't like watching something as violent as 2 people beating each other up. That's why no matter how well the sport is promoted, it will never be on the same level as Football, Soccer, Hockey etc..

But the ESPN thing will surely give the sport even more exposure and bring in some new fans.
You are right that MMA will probably never be as popular as the NHL or NFL because the level violence when looked at compared to these sprots is higher.

But in reality football and hockey are probably worse for your health and even more dangerous than fighting.

Talks about how people don’t like seeing 2 dudes beat each other up the. Mentions hockey.....

Nice one
Hockey isn't based on 2 guys beating each other up, smartass.

Fights happen in hockey but that's maybe once every several games.

The goal in MMA is literally to finish your opponent/beat him unconcious using punches, elbows, knees to the head with nothing else but a small pair of gloves.

When a fight happens in hockey it's basically 2 guys pulling each others shirts trying to hit each other with a shit ton of equipment on. And most of the times the refs stops it before it even happens.

You're a dumbass for making that comparison.

If they feature the champs, bigger personalities and hotter girls on their programming a bunch, do lots of puff pieces and stories getting into the more interesting backgrounds that some fighters have on top of really promoting the fight cards I think it's a decent possibility of bringing in more of the mainstream sports audience.

Ok, Debbie Downer.
cain-bigfoot-bloodbath.jpg

Not everyone is gonna come back for another show once they have witnessed this

Can you imagine if this was that first fight on FOX?

The death knell boys... The death knell...

All I'm hearing here is non-stop conservative outrage.

I hope ESPN discusses social justice issues before every broadcast just so I can imagine the steam coming out of your, and others ears.

Besides, MMA needs to come to terms with the racist wing of its fan-base, and ESPN is just the station to bring these issues to attention.

Stay tuned. It's going to be good.
If only I could just enjoy my favorite sport, excluding your types and any racists.

i dunno i think mma hit its hey day 10 years ago, id like to see it become more mainstream but just dont see it happening

It'll have boom periods again (possibly soon due to Conor/Khabib and Brock/DC) but I think the ceiling has already been established by now. MMA is no longer some "underground" new thing that the mainstream doesnt know about. 09/10 and 15/16 are about as big as its ever likely to get.

Not happening. Never going to be fully accepted into the mainstream anywhere close to NFL, basketball, baseball etc.

Its a brutal, niche sport that will never transition beyond that no matter how exciting we as fans find it because superficially it looks so much more violent than everything else. All the studies about how boxing is more dangerous due to padded gloves, more rounds to recover & 10-counts won't change that public perception.

Obviously ESPN are going to try & promote their new acquisition which might bring a few new eyes to the sport which in the past has certainly helped several sports become established. But we are living in a very different era, with the internet & social media particularly most people are already aware of mma even if just from seeing a few ko clips & they have chosen not to watch.

Some people just don't like watching something as violent as 2 people beating each other up. That's why no matter how well the sport is promoted, it will never be on the same level as Football, Soccer, Hockey etc..

But the ESPN thing will surely give the sport even more exposure and bring in some new fans.

Clearly you don't watch hockey...

Outside of the playoffs there are plenty of fights

MMA won’t be mainstream until everyone that grew up with boxing dies. Most people think mma is too violent and it’s like more honorable just to punch each other with big gloves or something. I asked this old guy I work with if he likes mma and his response was, hell no I don’t want to watch a guy kick someone after he’s already down, that’s not even fair. Lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back