UFC HW weight limit?

The Moloko man

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So obviously theres a 265lb cap set as the heavyweight weight limit. Now i dont mean to sound ignorant or uninformed(as somebody in this thread might point out that i might not have heard that DFW has already adressed the subject) but why is there a HW limit? Pro Boxing doesnt have weight limits in HW, while other MMA orgs have superheavyweight or openweight(rizin, kotc, m1)
This weight cap is actually pigeonholing some potential mma athletes as well. Guys who are heavily muscled and/or extremely tall are forced to comply with weight restrictions that make no sense

Last edited:
Has anyone got an example of a person who was top 10 ufc but couldnt make 265. Can't think of one.

The Great hope fans want Ngannou to juice to 320 & beat the true HW prince of the cage Stipe/Werdum/Rothwell/Mitrione/JDS.

caption_256379.jpg

A mature (30+) Semmy Schilt with some weightlifting. (easily 140 kg +)
I don't get the 265 pounds restriction. If these guys don't fair well, they won't get a shot in the UFC anyway.

Should be 285. Ridiculous that college and even HS wrestling heavyweight is 285 but then these guys have to cut 20 pounds to compete professionally as full adults

HW should be open. end of story. at the moment the title isnt legit as genuine big guys cant make the weight. cain would probably smoke them but that aint certain.
some argue the div would be riddled with fat guys who gas in the first round. what a bunch of bullshit. if they were that bad they would not even be in the ufc.

It's kinda a sham cause Bigfoot is naturally gigantic so they took away all his natural gigantism strengths and made him an anorexic midget giant

I imagine the justification of the limit was that unlike boxing, MMA involves grappling, and that they were trying to avoid instances of fighters just getting as big as possible and holding guys down.

Now we know that was never really a problem. There's never been any competitive 300+ fatties.

The only benefit it has is that it prevents current fighters near the limit from getting too out of shape. Mark Hunt and any others who cut weight would balloon up were the limit removed.

The downside is that those fighter have to cut weight. And weight cutting is terrible

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back