UFC HW division is no longer 'weak'

Think about it:

• We've got a dominant HW champion in Stipe who just broke the record for defenses.
  • 3 young contenders in Ngannou, Blaydes and Volkov.
  • The return of DC to HW.
  • WSOF champ Blagoi Ivanov making his UFC debut against JDS
  • Also a rumored HW bout between Lesnar and Jones
The UFC HW division is looking stronger than ever.

• Stipe has defended three times. When your record is "less than five", you shouldn't brag too hard.
  • Ngannou and Blaydes both have some embarrassing losses, and Ngannou has already lost to the champ. I guess he's the next Bigfoot Sylvia here... beat every potential challenger then blow the title shot.
  • It sucks that Cain drove DC to LHW to hog HW to himself. I think DC's the better of the two.
  • I hope you aren't relying on Ivanov, Hardy, Blaydes, and Ngannou to be the future.
  • Jones has 4 years to serve. Brock hasn't entered USADA testing pool. Don't count the chickens before they hatch.
The UFC HW Division is pitiful and will remain so. It's dominated by a combination of over-the-hill climbers like Rothwell and Hunt who never hit the pinnacle, who will retire without gold - and relative newcomers who aren't supreme at anything they do. Blaydes is the best prospect and he was beat by Ngannou, who proved he isn't quite ready for Top 10 opponents yet. There's also Reem who's now defined by his glass jaw. Browne, who hasn't made any noise in a while, who's career was killed by Edmund. And it wasn't that long ago that Schuab, Mitrione, and Nelson were actually Top 10 there. So, I think it's pitiful and will remain so.

The way out, I believe, is finding a few top tier athletes who're supreme at something... either unmatchable strength, or a background that's solid, or athletic prowess on the Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan level. I am not sure that MMA compels the best athletes, as those who hate team sports and "bro culture" will make more money boxing than doing MMA anyway. That leaves MMA with a combination of less good athletes who couldn't cut other sports, and top athletes who're unable to cope with others (who don't usually make marketable champions because they say cringey things, see Brock Lesnar and Ronda Rousey).

I think MMA needs a "Pay Revolution", and that will be what attracts top athletes who're willing to sacrifice "some" money to participate in a solo sport where they can be more than "part of a unit".

talking directly from your asshole lmaoooo

volkov right now is a beast, better than struve has ever been by a long way.

OT: yeah, people talk about HW like its the weakest division when LHW has been weaker for years.

Streuve was never a beast anyway, just a 7 foot disappointment. LHW is weak, but it's got stiff competition all over the place and isn't dominated by 35+ year olds who're past their athletic primes. LHW will recover quicker and easier - lower weight divisions always do. HW is the slowest because there are fewer big size people than average size people and of that crowd, the athletic ones are more financially motivated to play sportsball unless they hate sportsball, in which they're more incentivized to be boxers. Being a mediocre boxer is easier and more profitable than being an elite MMA fighter.

His star power will forever be limited because he's a woman beater. Dana might forgive and some UFC fans will also forgive the Greg Hardys and Rumble Johnsons of the world, but many of us will abstain from any event that such a creep is performing at. Now, I am not saying that we're going to get him ousted - your views matter more than our "not views", and our "not views" aren't even counted. UFC won't know why we didn't watch, they will coo themselves somehow - "the poster was red instead of blue, the font size is too big, this/that fight wasn't compelling...". It will never track or trace "X number of fans who would've watched, instead tuned out over the issue of...".

Fans like me aren't the majority and won't shake up anything, but we're a sizable enough of the populace that it will show in the ratings and money spent, even if the reason why won't be counted. And it will matter just enough to keep them from reaching top star status. I honestly believe such opportunities to "be the one" shouldn't be given to woman beaters, incels, and other deplorables, and I speak with my wallet. Hopefully Hardy can sort out his future. As is, I cannot support him or buy any card he is on.

Don’t forget the most important piece of the puzzle.

The addition of the first legit A-level athlete who is still in his physical prime.
View attachment 397785
Greg Hardy, future title challenger before the end of 2019.

Don’t forget the most important piece of the puzzle.

The addition of the first legit A-level athlete who is still in his physical prime.
View attachment 397785
Greg Hardy, future title challenger before the end of 2019.
Jesus, just read the guy has only been doing MMA for under 2 years

I guess it took Jones two years to CRUSH Shogun so...

Lol at "stronger than ever".

Volkov, for example, is worse than prime Struve.

don't know if he's worse than Prime Struve but, do agree at LOL'ing really hard at "stronger than ever".

The HW division is fuckin trash. 1 trick ponies like Francis are the #1 ranked contenders, 40 year olds like Werdum, Overeem, Hunt are all top 10 guys. Hell, Arlovski is right outside of the top 10. Andrei fucking Arlovski man. I'm not saying these guys suck as fighters, but, when you have multiple 40+ year olds in the top 10, it means the division isn't very strong. There aren't many up and comers doing anything. Not that the UFC has signed.

Ivanov is a good addition, hopefully they can keep adding to it because they desperately need HW talent. That and LHW have fallen off so much its ridiculous. And the weight classes people shit on, 155 and lower, are the most stacked divisions they have.

Back