UFC Has not reached 1 million PPVs since 2010

What you're failing to see is that this is part of the UFC's very gradual move away from the PPV model. It's part of the UFC's desire to be seen as a more legitimate sports organization. The UFC wants to be the NFL of MMA, and they can't do that if they rely on a PPV model, so they're moving to be more like the NFL or the MLB. They're slowly moving towards having all the biggest fights on Network TV, with smaller, but still significant fights on a basic cable channel like FX, and finally, the smaller fights on a less accessible channel like FUEL. This is similar to how basketball, football, and baseball work, the biggest events happen either on network or cable TV, and the people who are super enthusiastic about the sport can order extra channels to watch the smaller games.

TS is right. The UFC is all but dead. Might as well stop watching now and tune into golf and spelling bees from here on out.

Thats what happens when theres too much money on the line. Fighters fight to not lose. And when you have guys like Bendo, and GSP as champs, that never finish, people get bored with it. Jon fitch didnt and still hasnt finished a fight in 6 years.

ANd all these lower weight classes arent helping. Most people dont care to pay $50 to wastch 130lb no name men fight.

source up front: http://mmapayout.com/blue-book/pay-per-view/

UFC or Dana White, however you want to view it, has failed to grow UFC or mma in years. I think the UFC loss of big stars like Liddell, BJ Penn, Matt Hughes, Lesnar, even Kimbo Slice, has hurt the hype of mma (UFC). Dana White has tried a few new things such as adding new weight classes and female division but it hasn't really helped much. I think something total new has to be done to help it grow. Either something totally new and innovative or find more big stars.

I've been saying this for well over a year now, but getting someone like Tim Tebow would be Dana White's best option. Tebow is only making $650,000/yr in the NFL now, being a 3rd string qb. He is known to show interest in the mma world http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tim-tebow-trains-mixed-martial-arts-ufc-heavyweight-160200687--nfl.html. I'm not saying it has to be Tebow but that is an example of what the UFC needs to grow. At least 2-3 big name stars....new Coutures, Liddells, Lesnars, Slices, Hughes, Royce Gracies, etc...

Either way you can't argue the facts that the UFC has been on a decline or non-growing path for the last 3 years or so.

mma needs rising talent.

they can't continue to rely on, "okay" fighters like chael sonnen to run their mouths for publicity. they need to bump the pay for fighters IMMENSELY. without young athletes wanting to become mma fighters, they will never excel in the mainstream environment. they need the guys who enter football, basketball, and baseball to want to enter mma.

no one is going to choose mma as a first option if the compensation to get punched in the face isn't there. dana and the fertittas are taking too much of the portion of the pie. mma isn't attractive enough at this point.

UFC is stale. 2008 and 2009 were the UFC golden years.. now its stale

MMA is not what it was a few years ago when Brock and Chuck were still around.

Well its pretty obvious that UFC is on the decline. It isn't as popular as it once was. PPV buys are down.

Pretty much. Its funny that theres people on here that just refuse to beleive this.

I was just reading that article on mmajunkie where Couture talks about there being 7 Xtreme Couture gyms at one point when mma was at its peak. Now theres only 2.

how accurate are these #'s?

I think a lot of casual fans are happy with the free shows and might pay for the biggest ppv's....a lot of people go to bars/pitch in with friends/etc so that decreases the # of buys when one person buys it and 5-6 of their friends come over..or one bar purchases the ppv and has 50+ people in their.

That's why i think the UFC is trying to go on television for the most part like the NBA,NFL,etc..and just do like 4-5 HUGE ppv's a year.

Long their network deals remain lucrative.

It's obvious that MMA has reached it's peak here in the USA...so that's why zuffa is going EVERYWHERE possible to increase their profit margin. Their really focusing on Brazil for obvious reasons and growing Canada as well.

Once they start getting international PPV buys from china + india + rest of europe + brazil + mexico + anywhere else ...they will hopefully be doing over 1 million buys each ppv but who knows lol

Last edited:
One reason: No Brock Lesnar. Say what you want, you know its true.

UFC or Dana White, however you want to view it, has failed to grow UFC or mma in years. I think the UFC loss of big stars like Liddell, BJ Penn, Matt Hughes, Lesnar, even Kimbo Slice, has hurt the hype of mma (UFC)

funny how you mention Kimbo Slice, but dont even bring up Tito's name, still one of the biggest names/draws in UFC history period

Personally, the watering down of cards has made me lose interest. We have so many cards now its hard to follow. Plus the cards aren't stacked anymore. Now there is one, maybe two, interesting fights than a bunch of fights that would have been prelims a few years ago. Why would someone who is new to the sport pay $50 to watch one fight?

Without Brock we never woulda got back there anyways, anyone expecting a million buys ever again is pretty much out of luck. Could it happen? Of course. But odds are that the UFC will be off PPV before 1mil buys will be the new 400k.

Last edited:
2009-2010 was the peak, and the numbers show it. It's definitely leveled off since then despite the BS that Dana spews out of his mouth.

UFC or Dana White, however you want to view it, has failed to grow UFC or mma in years. I think the UFC loss of big stars like Liddell, BJ Penn, Matt Hughes, Lesnar, even Kimbo Slice, has hurt the hype of mma (UFC). Dana White has tried a few new things such as adding new weight classes and female division but it hasn't really helped much. I think something total new has to be done to help it grow. Either something totally new and innovative or find more big stars.

I've been saying this for well over a year now, but getting someone like Tim Tebow would be Dana White's best option. Tebow is only making $650,000/yr in the NFL now, being a 3rd string qb. He is known to show interest in the mma world http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tim-tebow-trains-mixed-martial-arts-ufc-heavyweight-160200687--nfl.html. I'm not saying it has to be Tebow but that is an example of what the UFC needs to grow. At least 2-3 big name stars....new Coutures, Liddells, Lesnars, Slices, Hughes, Royce Gracies, etc...

Either way you can't argue the facts that the UFC has been on a decline or non-growing path for the last 3 years or so.

You are ignoring the fact that they are in Brazil now, Mexico soon, etc.

Also you are ignoring the Fox deal.

The UFC is in a better place than its ever been.

Back