UFC Has not reached 1 million PPVs since 2010

They are likely doing more yearly buys than before.
But per event is likely down.
This is because they are putting on so many more cards now, and consumers aren't buying every one.

But without actually looking at the numbers, that is just my speculation.

Two reporters, both Kevin Iole and Jeremy Botter, said it did 1.1 mil. One reporter, Dave Meltzer, said it did about 900K. Meltzer has the bigger reputation so most people go by his numbers. It's like UFC 157; Meltzer said it did about 400K but at least three other people (and Dana White by extension) said it did over 500,000. Again, people go with Meltzer because of his rep.

My point in all this is that depending where you sit in the room will depend what numbers you want to use. Chances are yer better off just splitting the difference.

I never trust Meltzer.

There's tonnes more free cards and cards in general that's why individual event buys are down.

I never trust Meltzer.

Some people do and some people don't. He's gotten some stuff wrong but also gotten some stuff spot on before. For someone who gets his numbers directly from providers (allegedly), he sure seems to do a lot of corrections. Still there's very few people who have the sources he does. Doesn't mean a source can't be dishonest with you from time to time both for good and bad reasons.

PPV numbers are something we'll never actually ever know so like I said, take all numbers with a grain of salt and split the difference.

Ok but you forgot the honorable mention of Silva vs Sonnen 2 with 925k.

Are you saying UFC needs a NFL player to fight for them?
Or am I misunderstanding?
Because I prefer UFC to sell 800.000 PPVs with real fighters than 1.5M with NFL players or freakshow

Here is the reality they have more consistent numbers in the 500K to 800K then ever before. Far more name recognition then ever before more people don't look at you like your crazy. People usual response to the UFC question is what's the UFC:"is that cage fighting?" not in a good sense. Adding woman and making the sport more fan friendly will expand the sport to a larger demo. I notice several things like Dana is not dropping f words nearly as often and the child at the weigh ins calling fighter weight. I am sure working to find a better glove also works to reduce cuts and eye damage will help the cringe factor. They don't want to take to much away from the sport but reducing the ugly injuries will help them reach more people.

I am sure old time UFC and MMA fans will not like the fan friendly turn but to grow this sport they need to expand the demo. TMA like it or not has around 3.5 million fans who participate in sport Karate. The way it looks like the UFC has around 1.5 million hard core fans growing to 2 million and 3 million will take pulling some traditional Martial Arts fans. Gaining new fans such as woman by adding woman fights and having a Ronda type helps gain fans. Its pretty good management by Zuffa to see where the places to grow their fans.

This is because they are putting on so many more cards now, and consumers aren't buying every one.

Hasn't there been pretty much equal amount of PPV events yearly since 2006?

They are over saturating the market resulting in watered down cards generating less interest. Save the regular cards for FX 1 & have the PPV cards like once a month loaded with title fights & top 10 contests. Also force feeding the WMMA generic opponents on PPV's is not a good look, build the division then expose it to the masses.

Summer will be over before you know it and Brocktober will be upon us. Do not lose faith.

No need, you are correct. PPV numbers are down per event, but that is because of saturation of the market. With only about a dozen events a year, people would buy even the cruddy cards. Now, with twice that amount, people are picking between them. But, even if only 60% of the people who used to buy every event still did so, the UFC still makes more money.

Plus, the UFC is more mainstream now. Bars and restaurants are more likely to show the events so buying it yourself was the only option before. Advertising rates are still up and they are expanding internationally pretty quickly... The UFC is doing better than ever.

People do realize that PPV is becoming like the CD / Digital music business.

The ability / volume of sites out there where a free stream can be found is significant. Furthermore, most people do have HDMI technology now with their computers and can easily stream content to watch on their televisions.

Has to be a large segment of the population that would utilize a free stream instead of buying a PPV.

Reason #2 is the large number of fight cards as compared to years ago. More PPVs = more spending. People's salaries haven't doubled like the amount of PPV / fight cards has, so it's unlikely people will increase their UFC expenditures by twice as much.

Third thing is that there are less American stars now. Higher growth areas are now overseas. The MMA world is not the United States only anymore.

Any source on this?

The deal was brokered by the UFC's agent Ari Emanuel. Though financial terms weren't disclosed, Sports Business Daily reported on Tuesday that UFC will receive around $90 million per year in rights fees.

All I could find regarding their fox deal from when it was first announced. That was for around 10 events a year and I think the terms may have changed since then.

unless UFC do at least million ppv buys each event and pay Roy Nelson mayweather money, then Dana is useless and a failure.

Mma is dead, bros.

A few years ago, lots of people had fighters they could relate too, fighters with personalities...it seems the UFC has lost most of those type of fighters.

agree 100% actually

looks like they are just back to pre lesnar levels.
and lol at non ufc ppv's,i knew they sucked bad but man.

The UFC and mma in general is bigger then it's ever been. Speak for yourself when you've lost interest because Bork isn't around anymore.

Back