ufc gets $70MM from reebok over 6 yrs... my thoughts on this fiasco...

Do you rly think I started this phukking thread to support the BILLIONAIRES?

GTFO.
i'm giving you another perspective, you dingbat. it is very defensible if you are selling a business.

if you are incapable of understanding issues from various perspective, you'll always just be a reactionary. be smarter than that.

i think it fucking sucks that they stole money from their fighters. and i was probably compaining about Zuffa stealing money from fighters back when you called this sport "cage fighting". but it's not 'indefensible', and saying so is trivializing it.

cuz like i said before, it worked. Zuffa had a goal when they made the deal, and the goal was achieved. and they didn't give a fuck who (the fighters) got hurt in the process.

you should strive for a well rounded understanding of issues, not trivialize them into binary "this good", "no, this bad" platitudes.

Last edited:
So how does the Monster deal work? Does Reebok get a cut of that?
i have no idea. you're the one who said Reebok should have let them put other sponsors on their kits, and when i asked why, you said "money". so i assume you meant Reebok would make money if fighters put other sponsors on their kits.

so Rebook paid 70 000 000 000 000 ? not a bad deal

If the deal continues to sour fighter opinion of the UFC and increases the likelihood of fragmentation of the elite talent pool due to fighters jumping ship to other promotions, then it's an issue that concerns the fans.

lol @ Reebok being the determining factor that would cause this. Hyperbole is a mainstay on Sherdog.

Well, Reebok got a good deal. The UFC and especially the fighters... not so much.

Well, Reebok got a good deal. The UFC and especially the fighters... not so much.

i would say it was a good deal for Zuffa, and not so much for the new UFC owners, Reebok and fighters.

hopefully the fighters see it for what it was; a blatant money grab. they used to allow fighters to earn extra, and chose to take that away, to earn money off the fighters for themselves. it was ugly and blatant.

but hell, if they didn't attempt to collectively bargain after signing away their likeness rights for video game deals, i have no idea what it will take.

they're contractors, and UFC uses them while they can for as much profit as they can. the sooner the fighters figure this out, the better off they will be.

i have no idea. you're the one who said Reebok should have let them put other sponsors on their kits, and when i asked why, you said "money". so i assume you meant Reebok would make money if fighters put other sponsors on their kits.

All I have to go on is assumptions. So I'm assuming Reebok gets paid when the Monster logo gets put on their shorts. Which leads me to ask if Monster can do it wouldn't it be beneficial and profitable, to all parties, to open this up to additional sponsors?

i would say it was a good deal for Zuffa, and not so much for the new UFC owners, Reebok and fighters.

hopefully the fighters see it for what it was; a blatant money grab. they used to allow fighters to earn extra, and chose to take that away, to earn money off the fighters for themselves. it was ugly and blatant.

but hell, if they didn't attempt to collectively bargain after signing away their likeness rights for video game deals, i have no idea what it will take.

they're contractors, and UFC uses them while they can for as much profit as they can. the sooner the fighters figure this out, the better off they will be.

Most people know the UFC story now, DW convincing the Fertitta's to take a chance and bought the UFC for $2m. Yes, they did extremely well building the brand and cornering the market, but there comes a point where it's time to let the real businessmen take over. This is not necessarily an insult to DW or the UFC, it just is what it is. The UFC will do anything in their power to extract every single nickel they possibly from the fighters, because of the leverage they have over them. The UFC saw an opportunity to line their pockets at their fighters' expense, it was business as usual for them.

Both the UFC and the fighters got fucked, but the fighters ended up taking it raw with no vaseline. The Reebok deal might have been secured in order to make the brand seem more professional and as a selling point, but I suspect had the deal been brokered by real business sharks the UFC could've landed a much better agreement with a big name sponsor. Reebok saw a fish and they hooked it pretty easily, and did very well on their side, but the I think the UFC dropped the ball on their end. If you look at the endorsement deals the other major leagues have with sports apparel manufacturers, Reebok just walked all over the UFC.

70.000.000 $ per year or whole 6 years contract?

if it is money for 6 years then:
{<jordan}
They are shitty CEOs or ufc is hiding Reebok's money in own pocket

Last edited:
Only thing I will get on Reebok about is that the deal has been very low effort from their end. They barely tried with the uniforms. I actually thing some of the active wear type stuff looks good. I thought the Anderson Also shirt, while absolutely hilarious, was a nice design.

Can't fauot them for making a deal though. 70mil to sponsor an entire sports league for 6 years is crazy. Steal isn't even the word

whole contract
I really think contract is higher but 50%+ takes ufc. Athletes get leftovers from UFC table like dogs.

Show almost every weekend 2 million+ vievers on FOX + rest of the world, 1.2 million FS1 UFC 211 prelims + 350 thousand PPV buys (extremly valuable viever for company).

I remember someone doing the math about those numbers, the end result is that the UFC is pocketting at least half of the 70 millions for themselves

If you're a sponsor that doesn't compete with reebok, why the phuck won't ufc allow that for new and mid-career fighters? Why is there exclusivity?

reebok can be the exclusive gear company but why no other logos or sponsorships to augment the shitty salaries?

reebok is not the problem...good for them to get into the ufc as the official gear but it's the ufc who sets the payout structure and denies fighters from hustling and getting their own local or national sponsors.

It is indefensible by the ufc to have done that deal. Also, if it was not exclusive and with a cooler brand like under armor for example, maybe the fans would not boycott it. It's probably the worst sponsorship deal in the history of mma or combat sports.

This argument is best served when you hear it from a potential sponsor who can't support a local fighter...and that's beyond tragic, it's authoritarian/dictatorship/slavery.

""""""""""""""

So, you wanna be a ufc fighter huh?
Get ready to bend over to take one for the team, disguised as building your brand.
Why should you get free advertising for your company using the UFC's owned content using their distribution channels? No one gets free advertising on TV. NO ONE

Most people know the UFC story now, DW convincing the Fertitta's to take a chance and bought the UFC for $2m. Yes, they did extremely well building the brand and cornering the market, but there comes a point where it's time to let the real businessmen take over. This is not necessarily an insult to DW or the UFC, it just is what it is. The UFC will do anything in their power to extract every single nickel they possibly from the fighters, because of the leverage they have over them. The UFC saw an opportunity to line their pockets at their fighters' expense, it was business as usual for them.

Both the UFC and the fighters got fucked, but the fighters ended up taking it raw with no vaseline. The Reebok deal might have been secured in order to make the brand seem more professional and as a selling point, but I suspect had the deal been brokered by real business sharks the UFC could've landed a much better agreement with a big name sponsor. Reebok saw a fish and they hooked it pretty easily, and did very well on their side, but the I think the UFC dropped the ball on their end. If you look at the endorsement deals the other major leagues have with sports apparel manufacturers, Reebok just walked all over the UFC.

You're not seeing the immediately intangible benefit that uniforms provide: looks better to networks when it comes time to negotiate a new tv deal.

i'm giving you another perspective, you dingbat. it is very defensible if you are selling a business.

if you are incapable of understanding issues from various perspective, you'll always just be a reactionary. be smarter than that.

i think it fucking sucks that they stole money from their fighters. and i was probably compaining about Zuffa stealing money from fighters back when you called this sport "cage fighting". but it's not 'indefensible', and saying so is trivializing it.

cuz like i said before, it worked. Zuffa had a goal when they made the deal, and the goal was achieved. and they didn't give a fuck who (the fighters) got hurt in the process.

you should strive for a well rounded understanding of issues, not trivialize them into binary "this good", "no, this bad" platitudes.
They never stole money. The fighters were never entitled to that money in the first place. The UFC was kind enough to ALLOW them to profit from their content and distribution for a while. They then said no more, which they have every right to. Stealing implies something illegal happened they simply stop allowing them free advertising.

You're not seeing the immediately intangible benefit that uniforms provide: looks better to networks when it comes time to negotiate a new tv deal.

Some of the UFC fighters don't even have their own apparel. It was a few events back I'm pretty sure I remember someone wearing someone else's shorts.

I think the UFC is going to have a hard time when it comes to renegotiating the TV deal, and I don't think they get anywhere near the $450m per year asking price. You'd even hard pressed to call a pair of shorts or spandex a uniform, because 98% of the time the fighters are on the air that's all they're wearing, and it certainly isn't going to have an impact on the TV deals.

lol @ Reebok being the determining factor that would cause this. Hyperbole is a mainstay on Sherdog.

It's not a determining factor, but one of many contributing ones.

...and how the fuck is it "hyperbole" to reference a complaint that has been explicitly registered by fighters who've either left the promotion or expressed the desire to leave recently?

Last edited:
Back