UFC Gatekeepers

For me Gate = Podium, if you wanna pass the gate you have to beat the gatekeepers.

Can there be no agreement on sherdog?

Porier is the definition of a gatekeeper in my book and The Moose was a top contender!

Porier has ONE loss at LW. Before then he was on a roll and after that loss to MJ (HE'S a textbook gatekeeper), he was closing in on a win against an ex-champ in Eddie Alvarez.

I stand by my <36> ...and now add a <{cruzshake}>

EDIT: Totally forgot about his win over Jim Miller (another gatekeeper at LW)

Porier has ONE loss at LW. Before then he was on a roll and after that loss to MJ (HE'S a textbook gatekeeper), he was closing in on a win against an ex-champ in Eddie Alvarez.

I stand by my <36> ...and now add a <{cruzshake}>

EDIT: Totally forgot about his win over Jim Miller (another gatekeeper at LW)

There's no denying that Poirier is a great fighter but he's been in the UFC for how long and he's never got a title shot? And most of the men he has wins over haven't exactly gone on to reach the upper echelon of the sport. Gatekeeper!

There we go! Michael Johnson is the prototypical gatekeeper.

Lw - Joe Lauzon. But he's very underrated .

There's no denying that Poirier is a great fighter but he's been in the UFC for how long and he's never got a title shot? And most of the men he has wins over haven't exactly gone on to reach the upper echelon of the sport. Gatekeeper!

There we go! Michael Johnson is the prototypical gatekeeper.
Losing to MJ didn't help things...I'll give you that.

I think an ideal gatekeeper would be ranked 5 to 10. Above 5 could be considered a contender.

But gatekeepers are slowly becoming obsolete. Title shots these days are increasingly granted based on other factors, like how much money the fight will pull in. You could get a shot with a win over just one gatekeeper (e.g kevin lee) or have to go through several of them (tony, yoel)

Flw- benavidez
Bw- assuncao
Fw- swanson
Lw- barboza
Ww- Maia
Mw- Weidman
Lhw- Glover
Hw- Werdum

I picked the best fighters that probably will never smell gold again.

there should be belts for gatekeepers too, tbh. They'll never be champion of the division but they should have their own championships and the best of the gatekeepers could call himself "Greatkeeper of the belt" and kind of help the champ out by doing stuff like carrying his bags and feeding him and patting his back until he burps after eating.

gatekeeper (noun): a person or thing that controls access to something.

That something is a UFC title shot. Prior UFC champions are excluded per my criteria.

Here's my unofficial list of UFC gatekeepers for each division in the UFC except the women's feather and fly weight divisions because they aren't established yet. Any thoughts on the list or my definition of a gatekeeper?

Heavyweight
Mark Hunt

Light Heavyweight
Glover Teixeira

Middleweight
Jacare Souza

Welterweight
Donald Cerrone

Lightweight
Dustin Poirier

Featherweight
Jeremy Stephens

Bantamweight
Raphael Assuncao

Flyweight
Jussier Formiga

Women’s Bantamweight
Sara McMann

Women’s Strawweight
Felice Herrig
I dont think mark hunt qualifies as gatekeeper. To be honest he sucks he 13 - 11 record. The heavyweight gatekeeper is more like overeem LH would be gustafsson.

Back