UFC Founder Art Davie involved in Bare Knuckle Boxing Promotion

Is he the guy who Dana White and the Fertitta brothers ripped off to take control of the UFC?
No, he's the founder, along with the Rorion Gracie. But they sold it to SEG (Bob Meyrowitz and others) in 1995 or so. THAT's who Dana and Lorenzo ripped off

I'm just amazed that one-armed boxing/arm wrestling thing didn't take off. Bare knuckle boxing just seems so ordinary by comparison.

What about fighting using midgets as weapons? Or MMA bouts with opponents blind folded? He's not even trying anymore.

Real pro wrestling is the answer

apparently it's sanctioned in several states; in Arizona and Florida at least.

EDIT: here's an interesting opinion:

http://nymag.com/betamale/2016/06/bare-knuckle-boxing-comeback.html

Counterintuitively, there is a growing body of evidence indicating that bare-knuckle boxing may actually be safer than the gloved variety. Whereas regular boxers can trade massive blows by the round, bare-knuckle boxing tends to favor a cerebral approach. Opponents are more careful to avoid blows to the head, where, as you might guess, getting hit really hurts. “Your face is getting split, and you feel the punches more without the gloves,” Ferrysays.

Defensive tactics, which have always been essential to what A.J. Liebling called “the sweet science,” become far more so when the gloves come off. “With a bare hand it’s totally different to gloved boxing,” Ferry says. “When you connect with no glove on — especially if you’re a heavyweight — you either knock them out or you stop them. You have to pick your shots and be wise enough when you’re throwing your punches to not get caught by your opponent.”
i've heard the same thing about American Football helmets (e.g. guys didn't tackle so hard when they had less helmet protecting them). in both instances, it comes down to money; good luck selling tickets with 'more cerebral, more defensive non-gloved boxing' or 'less hard hitting American Football'.

"That's an MMM throw! That's an MMM throw! That's an MMM."

Last edited:
Boxing is boring with and without gloves......Nice try though.

You're a funny little boy. UFC under Davies was getting canned all over by Senator John McCain's bill that they ended up, in desperation, having to setup events in Hicktown, Alabama....then came the PPV Blackouts to near, complete PPV ban.....yet you think they had any chance at being sanctioned by Nevada's Athletic Commission? Davies did it to himself by the "blood sport" marketing.
I'm guessing there are a few documentaries you've missed. Fertita basically admits he burned the shit out of Davies/Meyrowicz and intentionally sabotaged the UFC in order to grab it for next to nothing and turn it into a cash cow. He looks like he doesn't have a hint of remorse about that, either.

A fair amount of those points you highlight were tied to Fertitta's design of supposedly sinking the ship, and thus being able to purchase the company for as little as possible.

I'm guessing there are a few documentaries you've missed. Fertita basically admits he burned the shit out of Davies/Meyrowicz and intentionally sabotaged the UFC in order to grab it for next to nothing and turn it into a cash cow. He looks like he doesn't have a hint of remorse about that, either.

A fair amount of those points you highlight were tied to Fertitta's design of supposedly sinking the ship, and thus being able to purchase the company for as little as possible.

I only had one law class, but Fertita was racketeering like a mothafucka, from my perspective.

No, he's the founder, along with the Rorion Gracie. But they sold it to SEG (Bob Meyrowitz and others) in 1995 or so. THAT's who Dana and Lorenzo ripped off
Anyone know the price of that sell? Interesting, did not know that.

Ripped off my ass. He got $2,000,000 for a sinking ship that kept on sinking for at least another $10,000,000 of the Fertitta's cash.

But good luck to Art Davies though. This sounds interesting.

Dude they were on the boxing commission denying him a license for years.. Causing him to lose money. How convenient for them to buy it when he had no choice to buy it.

They then get rules approved by their boxing commission friends. You are really dumb if you don't believe that they screwed Art over.

Dude they were on the boxing commission denying him a license for years.. Causing him to lose money. How convenient for them to buy it when he had no choice to buy it.

They then get rules approved by their boxing commission friends. You are really dumb if you don't believe that they screwed Art over.

You're pretty dumb if you think that the Boxing Commission of Nevada would approve The UFC from the Art Davies days where head stomping, soccer kicks to the head, attacks to the spine, etc. were legal. Most of the technical operations of the UFC was run by one of the Gracies (probably Royler), who didn't want time limits.....and it took Davies a long time to get him to bend on accepting such rules as not striking to the back of the head/spine, not head stomping, etc.

If the Fertittas saw such huge profits in the UFC but then it kept sinking after buying it, why didn't they just abandon it? What kind of shrewd business people would put $10,000,000 MORE in cash, after their $2,000,000 investment was failing miserably in an already failing business? It was mostly by luck that the UFC worked out.

Like I said, dumbass, the Fertittas really loved the sport of BJJ, was the main reason. This is just logic.

Show me the link. I'll watch it.

Because it makes no sense for the Fertittas to put in $10 million more, on top of the $2 million....into a business that was failing horribly already (when they bought it)....and now at the point of no return. And it was their own cash, not investors' money.

Davies couldn't do shit, because it wasn't just Nevada's Athletic Commission that was angainst the UFC, it was also that asshole, Senator John McCain who had a hard-on against human cock-fighting.

You're pretty dumb if you think that the Boxing Commission of Nevada would approve The UFC from the Art Davies days where head stomping, soccer kicks to the head, attacks to the spine, etc. were legal. Most of the technical operations of the UFC was run by one of the Gracies (probably Royler), who didn't want time limits.....and it took Davies a long time to get him to bend on accepting such rules as not striking to the back of the head/spine, not head stomping, etc.

If the Fertittas saw such huge profits in the UFC but then it kept sinking after buying it, why didn't they just abandon it? What kind of shrewd business people would put $10,000,000 MORE in cash, after their $2,000,000 investment was failing miserably in an already failing business? It was mostly by luck that the UFC worked out.

Like I said, dumbass, the Fertittas really loved the sport of BJJ, was the main reason. This is just logic.

Art tried to change the rules bit they kept denying him.

Ufc is a private company, i don't believe they lost what Dana said. Please tell me you don't believe everything dana says.. you are dumb lol.

Art tried to change the rules bit they kept denying him.

Ufc is a private company, i don't believe they lost what Dana said. Please tell me you don't believe everything dana says.. you are dumb lol.

You're an idiot. If the UFC is a private company, then what stopped Davies from changing the rules of his own company, dumbass?

Please don't tell me you believe everything that Davies said, dumbass.

You're an idiot. If the UFC is a private company, then what stopped Davies from changing the rules of his own company, dumbass?

1. Davies wasnt the owner by the time Zuffa bought the ufc.

2 unified rules where allready in place before Zuffa bought the ufc.

You can have a private company under sanctions from the state still..

1. Davies wasnt the owner by the time Zuffa bought the ufc.

True, Davie stayed on as the promoter.

Regardless, I was responding to Kenetics, who's saying that The Fertittas screwed over Davie, which they didn't. It's been a while but I looked it up again, and it seems that Davie & Gracie sold The UFC to SEG, way before it was sold to Zuffa.

Back