"UFC focuses too much on the Rankings" - Rory MacDonald

neil_totally

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
A few weeks ago MacDonald was on a podcast in the UK, and he talked about how Bellator is more fun because of the freak show fights etc and the UFC focuses too much on the rankings...... umm, whit?

Even the host points out that's not quite the case, with GSP, Bisping and McGregor doing their things right now.

What do you think he meant? Did he mean maybe that the UFC focuses more on building younger/newer fighters up and into the rankings and doesn't make time for old timers/legends to fight?

here's the link, it's a great interview, less than an hour. I think the comment/talk about this is about 25 minutes in, will edit post when I get the chance to listen again and find exactly where it is.

https://player.fm/series/distractio...raction-pieces-podcast-with-scroobius-pip-142

Rory, change your Nick to Canadian Psycho and become GOAT already.

He meant the opposite, the UFC does a shit job promoting anyone who they don't like. Rebok deal is shit. New owners are shit, and UFC is dead.

I wish they did. Right now they give #12 Hendo title shots.

No idea what he may have meant. As it seems pretty much the opposite. And I'm not listening to any fighter interview, for an hour.

That's why Cub Swanson is fighting Artem Lobov. Cuz UFC cares bout rankings.

when-in-rome-do-as-the-romans-do-1.png

Rory never struck me as the sharpest knife in the drawer.

He is exactly right. The UFC creates ridiculous rankings, and then uses that to justify their horrible matchmaking. If you had a monkey randomly pulling names out of a hat, it would do a better job at making good fights than the UFC matchmakers have ever done.

I mean they did put top 5 artem against top 20 cub, they don't care for rankings

He's right. As much as you'd never know it from these boards, the overwhelming majority of the UFC's fights are somehow rooted in rankings and recent performance. The UFC does occasional freak show fights, but with 40 events in 2016 and 12 fights per card, you can count the number of freak show fights in any given year on one hand.

Bellator will throw Kimbo vs some guy in the middle of having a heart attack and Royce Gracie vs the shambling remains of Ken Shamrock on the same card FFS.

I think he's confusing "rankings" with the word "money"

BloodMoney.jpg

Back