UFC FN 128 - Barboza vs Lee - Atlantic City

Once?

Yeah I'd agree at least once. But jeez if that's the threshold...

Barboza actually stuffed some of Khabib's TD's and got back to his feet quickly another 1-2 times. If you really think 1-2 TD's means a sub is so likely for Lee...IDK man. I disagree. And again, that's with me being in agreement about how good he is on the mat.
OK I guarantee he gets mount or the back

And 1 or 2 tds is all Lee has needed in almost all of his fights

Barb is just as chinny as Lee. Don't forget he got legit badly rocked and knocked down by a jab. Lee dropped Ferg with his hands, I wouldn't be surprised if he does the same to Barb especially considering Barb is terrified of forward pressure

Barboza hasn't shown any power in his hands though lol I def stand by that. But were talking about him against a guy who got sparked by Leo Santos and Edson just survived three rounds vs Khabib. No play yet on that NSC but I am def considering it.

Idk how I feel about Barb dec. on its own with questions of Lee's cardio and chin, but I am contemplating the over.
Since when is surviving a fight with Khabib an impressive feat? Everyone has done it except quitter MJ, horcher and "ko'd 8 times" chinny tavares. Khabib is not a finisher. Never has been and still isn't.

Its a five round fight. And theres just no good evidence to make an opinion on his cardio in a fight that long, especially if Barb is making him work hard for those TDs
Yea I had a brain fart and thought it was 3 rounds, which is why i was a little surprised you brought cardio issues into it. Makes sense

I think Lee will take Barboza down and win by submission. I think he can take him down at ease, just a little bit worried about him getting kneed in the face while doing so but I take my chances.
For now just 3 units on his ML at -122 but will at more on Lee ITD as well.

Barb is just as chinny as Lee. Don't forget he got legit badly rocked and knocked down by a jab. Lee dropped Ferg with his hands, I wouldn't be surprised if he does the same to Barb especially considering Barb is terrified of forward pressure

That was a balance shot on Ferg, you know that. Ferg wasn't even the tiniest bit hurt. In fact he then dropped Lee shortly after that with a similar balance shot.

Given the punishment Barboza took vs Khabib I'd still trust his chin over Lee's (but you are right Cerrone did drop him with a jab so you never know).

I honestly think the ITD line is the play on Barboza/Lee. I'd be very surprised to see Lee win any way besides a sub. If Lee is forced to stand for the bulk of 5 with Barboza, that's not going to be easy to survive.

dunham doesnt count it was a ko in the first couple min lol and castillo got him down and it was a super close fight. we'll forget about washed up gil who hasn't taken anyone down in half a decade. any time barboza fights someone who runs forward he absolutely crumbles besides that fraud benny who gave him an obvious read to get a flying knee but that's extreme low % shit. barboza simply cant move fighting backwards.

i guarantee lee gets him down at least once.
Barboza evolved since Castillo

Barb/Lee FDNGD is only -180. Good value. I think there's a high likelihood of a finish.

I honestly think the ITD line is the play on Barboza/Lee. I'd be very surprised to see Lee win any way besides a sub. If Lee is forced to stand for the bulk of 5 with Barboza, that's not going to be easy to survive.
Only realistic way it goes to dec is if both Barb and Lee slow. Lee would have to fail on tds and subs while Barb would have to be worn out by trying to get up. Then it'd probably just be Lee hugging and exchanges with nothing on them. Seems unlikely

With that being said I don't really trust Barb to finish, he always goes to dec besides low % shit like flying knees and wheel kicks

Lee sub +135
Lee KO +975 (and I missed +1050)

Of course sub is more likely but come on. This difference is silly. If Lee gets Barboza's back and flattens him out he could finish with strikes. Or from mount. Plus...It's MMA and maybe he drops him standing and finishes with strikes.

I like Barboza in this fight but this Lee KO line is crazy. Had to hit it.

Barb rd 4/5 +2000+/+2800 worth stabs IMO. If he makes it that far there is a good chance he has had some success keeping the fight on the feet or at least made Lee work. Lee cuts a shit ton of weight and his cardio has failed him before. I like Barb as a dog in this fight fwiw as well as FDNGD.

Anyone else on LaFlare at these odds? I get he got sparked by BC, but Garcia's striking and overall game is basic and relies solely on his athleticism whereas BC is dangerous as fuck and awkward. Laflare is thebetter striker and grappler here imo. Has to avoid getting hit with a telegraphed overhand and its his fight to lose.

Anyone else on LaFlare at these odds? I get he got sparked by BC, but Garcia's striking and overall game is basic and relies solely on his athleticism whereas BC is dangerous as fuck and awkward. Laflare is thebetter striker and grappler here imo. Has to avoid getting hit with a telegraphed overhand and its his fight to lose.

Yeah. I think Laflare can steal rds late with TD's too.

Kevin lee

-showing her mum around the world now that he can
-training in vegas, changed his surroundings, got montreal williams, other seperate coaches one for
tape, striking, fitness all separate guys. Wants to be fully prepared this fight.
-says edson is the best striker in the division
-says not looking for money or easy fights so wants this, wants to show new things in this fight
-edson either goes into a shell or puts on a better face, win win situation for him regardless
-will be training with influx of guys, guys from top MT gym including pettis
-is 9 pounds lighter then he was during same time for tony camp, his coaches are testing him
daily to make sure.
-you will see a more smarter and different fighter in there

Corey Anderson

-sparring at gracies gym, plenty big guys for him and drilling game plans daily.
-lots of sparring sessions done this camp
-knows he is he is right up there at the top of the div still so he has the skill to win
was winning against osp till the head kick. Wants to get more disciplined, learned
to keep hands up, picked up his kickboxing and defense training from rofus sports.
-wants to master all his skills for corey anderson
-wanted patrick cummings since day 1
-worked with big heavy wrestlers this camp, worked with david branch, rex harris, beret jones? a div 2 wrestler
-weight cut will start last 2 weeks, but is working on it

Tony Martin

-worked @ ATT knew the coaches and training partners, so came back to them
-has so many top bodies to work with here (works with mike brown)
-moved to 170 weight class, needed 8-12 weeks to make weight was not good for 155
so was not performing as good as he could.
-said when he spars and fights in the gym @ 170 hes a beast and wins a lot
-works with colby covington and other 170 pounders so knows hes at that top level
-can eat, drink as normal so never hungry, has the energy now
-better then keita everywhere, but hes game no ones put him away and is a vett
, expects him to take shots and try to get on inside and land shots.
-wants to be crisp, clean and has the best camp, training partner and now 170
he can't see his opponent winning.
-always trying for a finish, not trying to outpoint, wants to introduce himself to 170 division
-grapples with colby covington, hes a different type of wrestler but he learns from it daily

Brett Johns

-very long camp, knew about this fight for a long time
-calf slicer sub against soto was his biggest win, knows these finishes gets him the bigger pay days
-wanted the ufc london card, but to fight sterling he had to take it
-not afraid to lose the zero on his record, wants to fight the best
-says sterling striking is ok, his grappling and wrestling is strong, will come strong in this fight since he will want a win.
-has trained as hard as he can so knows he can get the win
-worked with a welsh boxer (guy who worked with conor may fight) to improve his striking and many others, has improved new weapons.
-20 pound over, still 2 weeks but its all right for him but wakes up @ 155 alot
knows a good pattern to hit weight at the right time
-people not seen his power during striking yet... but his training partners have
-expects to land a right and have sterling shoot, expects him to wrestle heavy this fight
but wants the stoppage
-not too interested in the records, but knows its important but more important he wants
to fight the top 10 guys

Justin Willis

-just done his morning work out session to get the day started
(jokes) hates giving up his secrets, does 5 mile run in morning
and does ji jitsu training later on.
-takes sherman serious, he trains at jacksons while willis trains at aka
so was not aware sherman trains at jacksons.
-wants more pressure, break him down, working all year round so expect more cardio
and improvements in this fight a new willis.
-got different coaches, S&C, ji jitsu, boxing got so many good guys training him well
-got to spar with dc also, says he is so lucky to get that title fight and expects dc to win
-wants the best version of sherman, his coaches tell him every possible way so he is prepared
-dc, cain, frank, dwight, lots of guys he trained with, but this camp worked most on 'pressure' style
-uses 44 food people, to keep weight well says he is bit more healthy, says he still performs well
with cardio despite looking a rolo polo
-says sherman will be desperate for a win, will come out hard but realise there is nothing he can do
against him. Says will either punch him and take him down and give him non stop pressure.

ricky simon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxHijH0cA9w
-short notice against merab
-knew he would get into ufc with just a big win
threw his name out to sean shelby and got in
-recently doing 5 round training sessions
-already in fight shape for ufc debut, has 2
weeks to train for ufc fight and 1 week weight cut.
-feels confident being 12-1, fought some of the best
guys some who are from ufc and in it, ready to go.
Extras:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWwVCxC5kNg
-jumping right back into another fight
-still figuring out how best to do this short camp
-like the match up, good with strikers, knows merab
has some strong grappling also so he matches up well
since his strength is grappling also.
-was suppose to train with tyson nam, but now doing ufc fight
-has been keeping weight done, still doing 3 work outs daily
will make it down to 135.
-expects some striking, opponent will shoot for td but will
then get td and gnp victory.

Chase Sherman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIXS61j_j28
-discusses his lay off (but wanted to enjoy china, xmas, family time) especially after loss
-wanted to learn new things before embracing his next fight
-doesn't see it as a loss, since its a lesson learned from his last fight
-wants to apply fight iq and get the W
-does S&C at rich myers gym, wanted to build up more muscle and strength
-4 weeks short notice for this fight, was moving into a new home at the time
-worked at home with few guys, works 2-3 times per day, alan and rashad trainers/coaches
(not at jacksons)
-concentrated on striking fundamentals, worked with a hw wrestler and grappling also
since that was lacking. Adding new tools to toolbox
-willis is athletic despite his looks, is a well rounded fighter. Says he is arrogant and will use
that against him. Does not fear Willis and believe his fake respect.
-Says willis has the wrestling background but prefers to striker, but will have an answer for his 1-2 boxing combos and expects him to land his left, but he is prepared for his overhands and everything. Does not like Willis hype talk about himself.
-still wants to put on a show

Aside from Khabib (who uses chain wrestling against the cage unlike Lee who relies on shooting timed doubles from distance), who are these good grapplers who have "smashed" Barboza on the mat? Ferg sunk in a d'arce after Barboza was already battered by strikes. Otherwise...?

Lee is very good on the mat. But I think you are being WAY too presumptive in assuming he so easily gets it there. Barboza is tough as hell to take down by shooting doubles (or even singles) that are Lee's way of getting fights too the mat.
Jamie Varner

Back