UFC Fight Night 137

I gathered my balls and decided to fade Randa Markos (I know about her win-loss streak :) )
hqdefault.jpg

Randa is short and probably worse striker than Marina. I think Marina fucks her up from range and in the clinch. Randa should be better on the ground but she is yet to submit anybody inside the Octagon. Plus this fight is in Brazil.

has anybody heard if Anders has any previous athletic experience before he began training MMA? I haven't heard anything at all.

has anybody heard if Anders has any previous athletic experience before he began training MMA? I haven't heard anything at all.
He played College Football for Alabama. Won a Bowl MVP in his last year, but didn't seem to get any real traction as a NFL prospect/bumming around CFL/Arena

Yeah. I think Barao subs him in 1. Kelleher's a legit top 20 guy who's an awkward, pressure-striking matchup for Barao. Sterling's a top 5 BW and still had a ton of trouble with Barao prior to the gas-out. IMO Ewell gets tapped quick as hell by Barao.

Have we seen Anders take a punch yet? Especially one from a guy like Santos? I don't get this assumption that Anders must be durable since we haven't seen him be KO'd

I don’t know about Sterling having a ton of trouble with Barao. The first round was close enough where one judge actually gave it to Sterling (I thought Barao won the round fwiw). But Barao pretty much laid in Sterling’s guard for the majority of that round and proceeded to get totally dominated for the rest of the fight, including a 10-8 round 2. Still, I may bet him here after I take a closer look at his opponent.

As far as Santos goes, IMO it’s a mistake to play him as a favorite here. Especially with all of the different circumstances surrounding the fight. Both guys moving up, short notice, etc. Doesn’t seem like a good spot to pay juice on a guy like him.

He played College Football for Alabama. Won a Bowl MVP in his last year, but didn't seem to get any real traction as a NFL prospect/bumming around CFL/Arena
oh wow that's weird. I'd have thought the UFC would have mentioned that in literally every promo or anytime a commentator brings up his name.

oh wow that's weird. I'd have thought the UFC would have mentioned that in literally every promo or anytime a commentator brings up his name.
LOL. Bit like Kennedy being in the military; they barely mention it.

Anders is trash imo and his last two fights showed that. He nuked old Natal and since then basically showed nothing. He barely beat Tim Williams. I think Santos fucks him up badly. Plus this is short notice and Santos will be bigger as well.

Nog comin off a suspension at 42 is a recipe for disaster. Wouldn't trust him at anything below +400.

Would love to see Barao come back with a nice win but I really don't think he has much finishing ability at all anymore. Last finish was a sub over Mitch Gagnon in 2014 and even that took him 14 minutes. I think Barao will win this fight but you fellas predicting a Barao first round finish need to remember that "killer instinct Barao" was murdered at the hands of TJ Dillashaw a long time ago.

Nog comin off a suspension at 42 is a recipe for disaster. Wouldn't trust him at anything below +400.

Would love to see Barao come back with a nice win but I really don't think he has much finishing ability at all anymore. Last finish was a sub over Mitch Gagnon in 2014 and even that took him 14 minutes. I think Barao will win this fight but you fellas predicting a Barao first round finish need to remember that "killer instinct Barao" was murdered at the hands of TJ Dillashaw a long time ago.
You make fair points but I think Barao gets the job done this time. His skill level is still very high and only TJ fucking Dillashaw has been able to put him away. I doubt Ewell finds a way to finish him. Perhaps Ewell dec if anything at all.

Ewell was regularly being put into bad grappling spots by randoms on the regional scene. Barao hasn't really been against a shit grappler in a while.

Barao ML is my biggest play on the card by far.

Ewell was regularly being put into bad grappling spots by randoms on the regional scene. Barao hasn't really been against a shit grappler in a while.
do you trust his mental ability to execute a gameplan? because I don't, and I really like Rao Rao Renan Barao. He trains at ATT now, who knows how much specialized attention he gets there. That camp is stacked with legit UFC fighters. Doubt his english is any good, I bet he can't gameplan with Mike Brown or any other American coach.

Assuming he'd implement a grappling heavy gameplan, you'd rely on Barao himself, or a Brazilian coach living in south florida to have taped Ewell and noticed his grappling inexperience... unlikely. However, I believe Barao is such a lifetime martial artist that even if he has no prior knowledge of his opponent, he will still fair well against an opponent like Ewell.

do you trust his mental ability to execute a gameplan? because I don't, and I really like Rao Rao Renan Barao. He trains at ATT now, who knows how much specialized attention he gets there. That camp is stacked with legit UFC fighters. Doubt his english is any good, I bet he can't gameplan with Mike Brown or any other American coach.

Assuming he'd implement a grappling heavy gameplan, you'd rely on Barao himself, or a Brazilian coach living in south florida to have taped Ewell and noticed his grappling inexperience... unlikely. However, I believe Barao is such a lifetime martial artist that even if he has no prior knowledge of his opponent, he will still fair well against an opponent like Ewell.

I think it’s a bit of a reach to assume that Barao will come into a fight at this point in his career without looking at some footage of his opponent. The guy was on top of the sport for years. He knows what he’s doing and knows how bad he needs a win here. He’ll be well prepared with a smart game plan I’m sure.

Or he could just take Ewell down out of happenstance and notice that his bottom game is terrible. It's not exactly rocket science.

Can anyone give me a breakdown on Augusto Sakai? I cant watch his bellator fights outside of that awful Kongo one, he looks like a slow patient kickboxer who is happy to keep the slowest pace in the world. How does he win a fight against someone who doesnt gas out?

anybody find any film on mayra bueno? I've always liked robertson s
Just watched DWTNCS footage of the fighters on this card.

Mayra Bueno remains untested. Her fight was too quick to gauge anything.
Augusto Sakai obviously has tons of footage from Bellator. Basically Bigfoot 2.0.
Marina Rodriguez looked FANTASTIC in her fight. Made her opponent verbally submit to strikes.

Haven't seen all three full episodes yet, but some highlights: Nascimento vs Paiva was a FOTY contender. Sarah Frota is as scary as Cyborg, and I'm not exaggerating. Gisele Moreira's striking was laugh out loud bad. We're talking Dandois bad.
frota just looked scary to me ( and honestly like she's been a man a one point in her life) , I don't think she's really one to watch, at least from that fight.

Can anyone give me a breakdown on Augusto Sakai? I cant watch his bellator fights outside of that awful Kongo one, he looks like a slow patient kickboxer who is happy to keep the slowest pace in the world. How does he win a fight against someone who doesnt gas out?
Yep. Sherman's just about my play of the card at +221. Sakai's glacially slooooooow and doesn't seem to have that much pop based on his lack of KO1s in Bellator/TNC competition. Even the TNC stoppage was more due to his MW opponent gassing from trying to throw him around.

anyone got any links to Luigi Vendramini fights? i cant find any

I like Leites over Lombard, Leites rarely gets KO'd and that's all that Lombard has left. At dog odds it's worth a small play to me.

Thinking that Alvey/Lil Nog GTD at @ $2.40 might be a good play. Risky because who knows what kind of Nog is going to show up, but Alvey is tough and tends to fight slow.

I can see the value on Barao but am hesitant to bet on someone so past prime. It's a rule of mine to try to find once great past prime fighters and fade them, but don't trust this guy he's going against at all.

Back