UFC fan and baseball superstar Shohei Ohtani has agreed to sign with Angels

Reports are his throwing arm is hurt

Non-issue.

All interested teams knew about this when trying to sign him. At worst it's a little inflammation, and most of the work they'll do is precautionary.

Media doing what they do best, blowing shit out of proportion.

Too bad the American doesn't let pitchers bat. Otani could be the best hit % out of all pitchers

Too bad the American doesn't let pitchers bat. Otani could be the best hit % out of all pitchers
Who says they can't let him hit for himself when he pitches and DH for other pitchers?

Who says they can't let him hit for himself when he pitches and DH for other pitchers?
Apologize for the confusion. To clarify, I meant to say in the American League ballpark a pitcher can't bat in the same game if he is also pitching during the game. Instead, a DH is assigned to bat for the pitcher. It sucks because he's probably better than the DH and I know Otani mentioned he wanted to be able to do both. Not sure why he didn't join the NL instead. Also, if he's DH in a game he can't pitch during that game.

Apologize for the confusion. To clarify, I meant to say in the American League ballpark a pitcher can't bat in the same game if he is also pitching during the game. Instead, a DH is assigned to bat for the pitcher. It sucks because he's probably better than the DH and I know Otani mentioned he wanted to be able to do both. Not sure why he didn't join the NL instead. Also, if he's DH in a game he can't pitch during that game.
I assumed AL doesn't have pitchers hit for themselves because most choose not to. I am not aware of a rule that forbids AL pitchers from hitting in games they pitch in.

They already said he's going to do both. He's going to DH on his off days for pitching.

The MLB.com definition of DH rule seems to imply that if a AL pitcher hits for himself, the team cannot use a DH that game so maybe if Shohei doesn't pitch a complete game and hits for himself, the reliever will have to bat unless they pinch hit for him and swap the pitcher afterwards until pitcher has to hit again.

EDIT: I saw name & number Ohtani #17 red Angels t-shirts are now available.

Last edited:
Back