UFC Considering Romero vs. Gus for 230

Is he ducking?

Or did he hear rumours of a you know.. title fight? And thought hey.. I like money
You’re ruining my narrative

We know for a fact Romero was not ready to compete at this event vs Paulo. I guess a gift title shot at 205 was enough to risk his health.

You’re ruining my narrative

We know for a fact Romero was not ready to compete at this event vs Paulo. I guess a gift title shot at 205 was enough to risk his health.

Well.. yeah?
That's not ducking
It's paper chasing

And that's legal

I f*king love it! Gus needz to show he still got fight in him before sending "Dear Jon lets fight tweets" show skeptical fight fanz like me you still worthy.

All fair points. However I wouldn’t move Tony, not yet. Would be a tragedy if we never see him fight Khalabeeb or Conor.

Lee is available though I don’t think difficulty making weight at 155 and asking for 165 moves him ahead of Porier for consideration in a new division.

A new weight class with no fights at all at 165 to draw from, I am pretty lenient on who they select to get the shot. Would prefer a 4 man tournament. What would be the best is have Co-Mains with the winners to face off in December/January for the 165 belt. Dustin vs Nate, Lee vs RDA.
Four man tournament would be fine by me. I would rather that than "we need a main event so let's create another belt" which is what this feels like. (If it is actually happening)

I guess I mainly question the validity of Poirier and Nate as 165 champs. I would not consider either to be "the best 165 pound fighter."

I'd just rather see a WW than a FW vs a .500 LW.

RDA was a 155 champ and 170 title contender. Other championship level guys seem more qualified than Nate or Dustin, do you think both of them definitely beat Khabib? Woodley? (If he can make 165, but he has never missed 170 to my knowledge).

Once again the UFC is creating a belt and NOT giving the opportunity to the most ideal fighter. Remember when they had a 145 women's title fight without Cyborg? The last thing the UFC needs, from my long time hardcorish perspective, is more "paper champs".

Oh Sherdog, I can see it now

Before the fight-
"YOEL IS GOING TO KNOCK HIM OUT"

Gus beats Yoel - "SO WHAT? YOEL IS A MW! FAKE BELT! HE NEVER BEAT JONES OR DC. UNIMPRESSIVE WIN."

I don't know why anyone wants to see Romero fight at MW

He can't do it anymore. In his 40s that cut is just dangerous.

I think he can hang with all these guys at Lhw. He will likely be even more powerful and have better cardio with less weight cutting

Lhw is weak as fuck. Mw is stacked and yoel is unbeaten in my eyes with like 14 fights.

Gus is fucked. I think DC and Jones might be too if Yoel can be active before he gets too old. Whatever he's doing.. that moto is scary

Four man tournament would be fine by me. I would rather that than "we need a main event so let's create another belt" which is what this feels like. (If it is actually happening)

I guess I mainly question the validity of Poirier and Nate as 165 champs. I would not consider either to be "the best 165 pound fighter."

I'd just rather see a WW than a FW vs a .500 LW.

RDA was a 155 champ and 170 title contender. Other championship level guys seem more qualified than Nate or Dustin, do you think both of them definitely beat Khabib? Woodley? (If he can make 165, but he has never missed 170 to my knowledge).

Once again the UFC is creating a belt and NOT giving the opportunity to the most ideal fighter. Remember when they had a 145 women's title fight without Cyborg? The last thing the UFC needs, from my long time hardcorish perspective, is more "paper champs".

I think Porier has as strong a claim as anyone at 165, but don't disagree with your sentiment. Sounds like this is more like Porier and Diaz giving the UFC their own treatment (announcing something before its actually agreed on to force it) than the UFC considering it.

On that thought, maybe this is a leak to force DC's hand. Talk of an interim title. Whatever it is, UFC is becoming a joke without the Fertittas. Never gave them enough credit outside of stepping in as Good Cop to Dana's bad and writing checks.

I think Porier has as strong a claim as anyone at 165
I think if anyone has earned some sort of title shot at 155 (or 165 if that happens) then it's Dustin Poirier. (& also Tony Ferguson too).

Poirier keeps beating people, he shows up, he makes weight, he doesn't duck, he is up for fighting whoever, plus he is actually a really good ambassador for the sport, and he has no need to talk too much smack. A true fighter, he deserves a genuine shot at a belt.

ps. general recommendation : go watch 'Fightville' movie (2011). Poirier is in that documentary movie. He's been around, he's paid his dues.

He said his eye injury won't allow any contact to his face and that will keep him out of action 5 months or something along those lines

I read it was 4 months so Romero will have roughly a month before the fight to train for gus at 205. If he fought Costa, most of that time would be spent trying to make 185. Highly doubt he would make weight even if he tried.

If anything, he is ducking the diet required to make 185.

I think Porier has as strong a claim as anyone at 165, but don't disagree with your sentiment. Sounds like this is more like Porier and Diaz giving the UFC their own treatment (announcing something before its actually agreed on to force it) than the UFC considering it.

On that thought, maybe this is a leak to force DC's hand. Talk of an interim title. Whatever it is, UFC is becoming a joke without the Fertittas. Never gave them enough credit outside of stepping in as Good Cop to Dana's bad and writing checks.
If it is (and it seems like that might be the case) Dustin and Nate's idea to announce it was a title fight and then put the UFC in a position of possibly being guilted into making it into an actual title fight then hats off to them, that is fucking brilliant!

And I love Poirier, I've been a fan ever since I saw him in that documentary back when he was in the WEC. I think he has a legit claim to a title shot in the log jammed clusterfuck LW division, just not in a weight class he hasn't ever competed at. But I accept that the UFC is off the rails and titles are getting more meaningless by the day so ....it is what it is.

Even though Jones beat Gus and came the closest to finishing the fight?

Jones didn't even knock down Gus. Gus was closer to finish Jones (doctor stoppage) between rounds 4 and 5. Big John had to beg the ring side doctor to not stop the fight because of Jones' cut. Big John saved Jones ass on that night.

Romero vs Gus > Romero vs Costa
BUT
Jones vs Gus > Romero vs Gus and
Jones vs Gus + Romero vs Costa >>> Romero vs Gus + Jones and Costa sitting on a couch

Back