UFC Boxing Edition Version 3

It's funny that Bisping's success seemingly started to come after the stricter drug testing. Bisping has attributed his losses to cheaters.

He has said that in the past, last night had nothing to do with that though imo. It is true that Vitor and Hendo were juiced when he lost to them however, Wand probably too.

Poirier's boxing looked incredible last night. Stuck behind his jab really well and hid that left hand bomb with it. Don't typically see good fundamentals from MMA fighters.

Porier has been sparring with pro boxers lately and their head boxing coach is Michael Moorer I believe at ATT. Pretty sure I was a pic of Dustin and Algieri sparring.

No, that's not really true, at all. He may be a bit chinny, but he's miles away from being a hype job. He's one of the better grapplers in the sport, right now, and he's likely one of the most well rounded fighters, as well. He was massively overconfident, though, and should be embarrassed for losing to someone he is miles better than.

Rockhold is one of the most well rounded guys in the sport like you said, there was no hype job. People do this every time someone loses, they were never any good, etc. Seems like a boxing thing that trickled heavily into mma. Reality is that Rockhold likely beats Bisping 9 times out of 10 if he fights his fight and isn't arrogant enough to think that he poses no threat. Can only blame himself here.

Porier has been sparring with pro boxers lately and their head boxing coach is Michael Moorer I believe at ATT. Pretty sure I was a pic of Dustin and Algieri sparring.
I remember seeing JDS training with Michael Moorer leading up to the Rothwell fight. I always liked Moorer. If that's his work that's brought Dustin to the level he's at, he could be one of the more sought after striking coaches in MMA

So is Brock only fighting one fight? I cant see them matching him up with someone too dangerous if thats the case. The WWE wouldnt want their "beast" to be splattered all over the cage, have it be watched by millions and then return to Summerslam.

So is Brock only fighting one fight? I cant see them matching him up with someone too dangerous if thats the case. The WWE wouldnt want their "beast" to be splattered all over the cage, have it be watched by millions and then return to Summerslam.

Hes too old and inactive I don't see him beating Hunt (if its Hunt) as he probably wont have gotten any better with a few years of inactivity and age (and USADA)

I just watched some of the highlights and caught up on the UFC card last night. That's why I do not gamble, at all, on anything. I can't stand losing money, and sports are all unpredictable regardless of how much you think you know. I actually saw people claiming Rockhold vs Bisping was the most lopsided championship matchup in UFC history. People really don't know what will happen, and that's fine. At least I can admit I don't know shit, and don't waste my money pretending that I do.

But I also don't buy the hold "with 4 ounce gloves anything can happen" excuse for super-hyped fighters losing so often. It's not the gloves, it's the fact that they are overhyped. That does not mean Rockhold isn't a really good fighter, he is, he just isn't all that much more talented than a guy like Bisping. Bisping can fight, and Rockhold can fight a little bit better. Not exactly a million miles between them.

The gloves didn't do it, he got punched clean on the chin. You can't let people punch you on the chin in any combat sport, regardless of the gloves. That's why guys like Mayweather stayed undefeated, he simply never walked face first into power shots like other guys. If you fought Mayweather in 4 ounce gloves, he'd still go undefeated.

I'm not sure, WWE keeps saying it's a one off but from my understanding he has it in his contract to fight mma when he wants. I can't imagine him coming back and getting a win and not wanting to keep fighting. Could get interesting. As for opponent, I have no clue. Carwin said he would take the fight, as did Todd Duffee and Stefan Struve. You know damn well Mark Hunt will take it.

I just watched some of the highlights and caught up on the UFC card last night. That's why I do not gamble, at all, on anything. I can't stand losing money, and sports are all unpredictable regardless of how much you think you know. I actually saw people claiming Rockhold vs Bisping was the most lopsided championship matchup in UFC history. People really don't know what will happen, and that's fine. At least I can admit I don't know shit, and don't waste my money pretending that I do.

But I also don't buy the hold "with 4 ounce gloves anything can happen" excuse for super-hyped fighters losing so often. It's not the gloves, it's the fact that they are overhyped. That does not mean Rockhold isn't a really good fighter, he is, he just isn't all that much more talented than a guy like Bisping. Bisping can fight, and Rockhold can fight a little bit better. Not exactly a million miles between them.

The gloves didn't do it, he got punched clean on the chin. You can't let people punch you on the chin in any combat sport, regardless of the gloves. That's why guys like Mayweather stayed undefeated, he simply never walked face first into power shots like other guys. If you fought Mayweather in 4 ounce gloves, he'd still go undefeated.

I don't gamble either, I don't like not being in control of something so that steers me away from it. I'd say as an overall fighter Rockhold is quite a bit better than Bisping but that doesn't mean on one night that Bisping can't catch him and win. The gloves do make a huge difference in not only defense but offense as well imo. Most guys who have trained attest to that. There are some things that the bigger gloves let you get away with that the smaller gloves do not, covering a larger area of your face blocking being one of them. The Arlovski example from a few weeks ago is a recent testament to this.

I'm not sure, WWE keeps saying it's a one off but from my understanding he has it in his contract to fight mma when he wants. I can't imagine him coming back and getting a win and not wanting to keep fighting. Could get interesting. As for opponent, I have no clue. Carwin said he would take the fight, as did Todd Duffee and Stefan Struve. You know damn well Mark Hunt will take it.
Even if he can, the dude is turning 39 when he fights, and relies too much on his size.

This whole thing spells disaster for him.

The WWE have said it's only one fight. I thought the UFC picking Hunt was to make sure he gets fucked up ha ha.

Seriously though, there'll never be another opportunity to make Brock and Fedor, now that would be amazing (if completely irrelevant).

I don't gamble either, I don't like not being in control of something so that steers me away from it. I'd say as an overall fighter Rockhold is quite a bit better than Bisping but that doesn't mean on one night that Bisping can't catch him and win. The gloves do make a huge difference in not only defense but offense as well imo. Most guys who have trained attest to that. There are some things that the bigger gloves let you get away with that the smaller gloves do not, covering a larger area of your face blocking being one of them. The Arlovski example from a few weeks ago is a recent testament to this.

If you know you are fighting in 4-ounce gloves, then you have to train to use 4-ounce gloves. You develop your skills around the equipment that you use. The problem is not the gloves, the problem is that MMA fighters often have incredibly sloppy defense and get caught directly in the face with their hands completely down.

If Rockhold had attempted to parry the punch, then you might have a point. But no, he got punched square in the chin without attempting to dodge or block it. That is not the gloves fault, that is his fault.

It gets old hearing the 4-ounce gloves excuse when a guy gets blasted directly in the chin with your hands down. You could be wearing 16-ounce gloves, you still cannot let that shit happen.

If you know you are fighting in 4-ounce gloves, then you have to train to use 4-ounce gloves. You develop your skills around the equipment that you use. The problem is not the gloves, the problem is that MMA fighters often have incredibly sloppy defense and get caught directly in the face with their hands completely down.

If Rockhold had attempted to parry the punch, then you might have a point. But no, he got punched square in the chin without attempting to dodge or block it. That is not the gloves fault, that is his fault.

It gets old hearing the 4-ounce gloves excuse when a guy gets blasted directly in the chin with your hands down. You could be wearing 16-ounce gloves, you still cannot let that shit happen.

Completely agree that the defense needs improving, guys are still making basic mistakes that shouldn't happen. I wasn't referring to rockhold losing as a reference of the smaller glove, that was because he overextended with his jab and totally didn't respect Bisping's ability. I was talking in a general sense, the 4 ounce gloves give you little to no protection where the 8 or 10 ounce glove can basically block anything with a high guard. Just the reality of the sport, you're always one punch, one elbow, one kick, one knee away from losing, which is part of what makes it exciting and interesting. Look at Guida vs Ortega yesterday, Ortega fakes a jab, Clay anticipates a right hand and ducks down to the side and eats a knee and gets knocked out. MMA fighters are more vulnerable to these techniques and more exposed to danger at all times. I don't think it's smart to be sparring with 4 ounce gloves on either all the time and be taking punches, have to find some medium between the two.

The WWE have said it's only one fight. I thought the UFC picking Hunt was to make sure he gets fucked up ha ha.

Seriously though, there'll never be another opportunity to make Brock and Fedor, now that would be amazing (if completely irrelevant).

Hunt is a very tough fight for him, I'm not sure what type of opponent they are going to throw at him, he adds big business to that card though either way.

Completely agree that the defense needs improving, guys are still making basic mistakes that shouldn't happen. I wasn't referring to rockhold losing as a reference of the smaller glove, that was because he overextended with his jab and totally didn't respect Bisping's ability. I was talking in a general sense, the 4 ounce gloves give you little to no protection where the 8 or 10 ounce glove can basically block anything with a high guard. Just the reality of the sport, you're always one punch, one elbow, one kick, one knee away from losing, which is part of what makes it exciting and interesting. Look at Guida vs Ortega yesterday, Ortega fakes a jab, Clay anticipates a right hand and ducks down to the side and eats a knee and gets knocked out. MMA fighters are more vulnerable to these techniques and more exposed to danger at all times.

I really don't think it's the gloves. If you eat a clean punch with 10-ounce gloves, you are going to sleep. Ask Kirkland and Khan. Anybody from WW and down uses 8-ounce gloves. I think MMA fans tend to over estimate how padded they are. Put on a pair and you kinda realize they aren't the pillows you imagined.

The bigger issue is that MMA fighters do not defend punches well. It's a combination of not spending enough time boxing, and not being able to concentrate only on the other guy's hands during the fight. I fully understand how difficult it is to avoid being punched in the face when somebody can also throw a kick at you, I've been there. When I did it, they couldn't take me down, which also adds another big problem to worry about. It must be difficult, but you still gotta keep your damn hands up.

If you watch the knockout, Luke had his hands straight down at his sides about a second before the knockout. I'm not sure if that's arrogance or what, but he paid for it.

Thats why I think he will fight a no hoper. I just cant see the WWE allowing him to fight a decent guy, in case of embarrassment, then probably headlining Summer slam. Which is one of their biggest PPVs.

I really don't think it's the gloves. If you eat a clean punch with 10-ounce gloves, you are going to sleep. Ask Kirkland and Khan.

The bigger issue is that MMA fighters do not defend punches well. It's a combination of not spending enough time boxing, and not being able to concentrate only on the other guy's hands during the fight. I fully understand how difficult it is to avoid being punched in the face when somebody can also throw a kick at you, I've been there. When I did it, they couldn't take me down, which also adds another big problem to worry about. It must be difficult, but you still gotta keep your damn hands up.

If you watch the knockout, Luke had his hands straight down at his sides about a second before the knockout. I'm not sure if that's arrogance or what, but he paid for it.

So you think that you can defend the same way with smaller gloves that you do with bigger gloves? That's the only point I'm making. I agree with you about the defense, I'm right with you. Sport has come a long way in evolution but the defense still needs to take another step. I believe that it was arrogance that did him in, I believe he felt that Bisping couldn't hurt him. The way he was talking leading up to this he definitely looked past him and he paid for it. Some guys carry their hands low to help defend takedowns, but there is an obvious detrimental trade off to that.

Back