UFC announced Tony/Khabib will NOT be for the REAL belt at UFC 223. Press conference this FRIDAY.

That’s all speculation on your part. The facts point to Conor returning in September and fighting the winner of this fight in Russia.
Your "facts" are speculation and conjecture, your business semantics are shortsighted.
Holding up a divisions because of one guy who may or may not return is bad for the sport, the fans and the brand.

Yes it does. Why go through the trouble of giving him the interim belt then? Please explain the role of an interim champ to me. 100% sure it is a temporary title that is immediately unified with the real belt.

What trouble? An interim belt is to recognise a champion when the original champ is unavailable to fight for whatever reason (here it’s money). Conor is unavailable to fight so Tony is recognised as the current champ of the division. When Conor is available to fight again he is entitled to a match with the champ that will decide the undisputed champ. It’s not a big deal. Calling the winner of Khabib/Tony an undisputed champ would be silly and liable to ‘paper champ’ claims from casuals when Conor exists as the unretired lineal champ.

If that is the case I won’t be buying this card.

This is some excellent fuckery on Connor's part.

The hardcore fans know whats up, and it may just be a matter of time until Connor gets dethroned.

The casuals will come out the woodwork to see Connor "defend" his belt.

It is stupid, but that what the sport has succumbed to unfortunately.

This is getting close to the last straw. Conor has broken the record for length of time without a title defense and will shatter that record now.

The guy he beat? Frank Mir who had a life threatening motorcycle accident.

Conor has the UFC by the balls and there is no excuse for it. It should be the other way around. He has a contract. Reign him in and teach him who is boss. He's not going to change until you show him he's not in control.

What trouble? An interim belt is to recognise a champion when the original champ is unavailable to fight for whatever reason (here it’s money). Conor is unavailable to fight so Tony is recognised as the current champ of the division. When Conor is available to fight again he is entitled to a match with the champ that will decide the undisputed champ. It’s not a big deal. Calling the winner of Khabib/Tony an undisputed champ would be silly and liable to ‘paper champ’ claims from casuals when Conor exists as the unretired lineal champ.
When an interim belt is defended due to inactivity then that all goes out the window.
Conor does not want a consequential fight and will likely not return to fight the winner, he knows he doesn't match up well against them, especially Khabib.

This is getting close to the last straw. Conor has broken the record for length of time without a title defense and will shatter that record now.

The guy he beat? Frank Mir who had a life threatening motorcycle accident.

Conor has the UFC by the balls and there is no excuse for it. It should be the other way around. He has a contract. Reign him in and teach him who is boss. He's not going to change until you show him he's not in control.
Refreshing to see another fight fan around these parts.

It is for the real belt.

No...it's for the interim belt.

giphy.gif

The fact that any mma fan, any fan, anyone, can defend or find any merit in Conor's attitude regarding this mess is mind boggling.
What a royal fuckery this all has become.

If I'm Tony, I'm not defending the interim unless I'm getting at least a million. They could strip me for all I'd care, the media would be all over it and both ufc and mcgregor brand would take a massive hit

Except Conor is available to fight, he chooses not to, wich makes him the paper champ.

No, interim belts are there for when the champion is unable to fight for reasons beyond his control. If he refuses to fight he gets stripped.

There is nothing wrong with calling Khabib or Tony undisputed champ if the lineal champ retired.

Not surprising at all. Conor makes Bisping look like one of the greatest champs in UFC history. Hell even GDR gave the belt up when she didn’t want any.

Lol.

Just goes to show that beating Kevin Lee doesn't make you a real an interim champ.

Conor has been a champion for 768 days, he has never defended a belt once. Money went to his head and fucked up his neurons.

Such absolute fucking bullshit. I will not be watching this bullshit fight. Fuck Dana, fuck Conor and fuck Tony and Khabib too for accepting these terms. I am DONE

Means they've reached, or are VERY close to reaching, an agreement with McGregor about his new contract.

This is some excellent fuckery on Connor's part.

The hardcore fans know whats up, and it may just be a matter of time until Connor gets dethroned.

The casuals will come out the woodwork to see Connor "defend" his belt.

It is stupid, but that what the sport has succumbed to unfortunately.

It's a business.

If you want honour, grace, or Ying & Yang theory...go watch a Bruce Lee movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back