UFC 229: Constructing The Main Card

UFC178

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We're 43 days away from UFC 229, and the card is finally beginning to come together. For the first couple of weeks, we all agreed that aside from the Main Event, the card was looking super weak.

With the somewhat recent news of Sean O'Malley vs Jose Quinonez, and the extremely recent news of El Cucuy's return vs Anthony Pettis, I think the (main card) is pretty much complete. Anything else, would be a cherry on top.

card.PNG

Here's the card as it stands (without Tony vs Pettis). ^^

If I were to construct the main card to maximize its potential, I'd lay out the following.

Khabib Nurmagomedov (c) vs. Conor McGregor (Main Event)
Tony Ferguson vs. Anthony Pettis (Co Main Event)
Derrick Lewis vs. Alexander Volkov
Ovince Saint Preux vs. Dominick Reyes
Sean O'Malley vs. José Alberto Quiñónez
(This is ideal)
The last fight on the prelims, would be Michelle Waterson vs Felice Herrig.

Let's all be honest though, the UFC will most likely put the top WMMA bout on the main card. It's not the worst possible Women's fight, but I think we'd all rather see OSP vs Reyes on the main.

What would your line up be for the UFC 229 Main Card?

getthumbnail.jpg

Dana can't resist. We'll see WMMA on 229 Main Card.

after all the shit people were giving the UFC for this card it's actually extremely solid

after all the shit people were giving the UFC for this card it's actually extremely solid

100% agree. Tony Ferguson vs Anthony Pettis on the main card just solidified the entire main card. No matter who pulls out, our main event will be solid.

Sean O'Malley wanted to be on the prelims for greater exposure

Where’s Kevin lee? I know he was lookin to fight Pettis but can’t we find him literally anyone?

Either way it’ll be fine but it would be nice to squeak him in there

Where’s Kevin lee? I know he was lookin to fight Pettis but can’t we find him literally anyone?

Either way it’ll be fine but it would be nice to squeak him in there

I predict James Vick (if he wins) will call out Kevin Lee. Then they'll fight for in a main event fight night.

Ferg v Pettis has got to be co-main. But it will be a three rounder wherever it is so it doesn't matter really. 15 minutes in a Ferguson fight is usually more than enough time for all kinds of crazy shit to go down. I'm a fan of Pettis and I am happy he got this matchup over Kevin Lee who was calling him out. Not saying he is going to win but it should be more entertaining. If Ferg does take him down he won't just keep a dominant position. I am hoping for wild scrambles as they both go for subs. I do see Ferg pressuring Pettis standing and that being a problem but Pettis could wobble him early. It looks to be a fun matchup stylistically even though Ferg's durability, pressure and just the way he is always switching things up in the cage being too much for Pettis but who knows? that's why we tune in.

Looks like a pretty sick card, now we've got a backup if godforbid something happens to khabibib

Ferg v Pettis has got to be co-main. But it will be a three rounder wherever it is so it doesn't matter really. 15 minutes in a Ferguson fight is usually more than enough time for all kinds of crazy shit to go down. I'm a fan of Pettis and I am happy he got this matchup over Kevin Lee who was calling him out. Not saying he is going to win but it should be more entertaining. If Ferg does take him down he won't just keep a dominant position. I am hoping for wild scrambles as they both go for subs. I do see Ferg pressuring Pettis standing and that being a problem but Pettis could wobble him early. It looks to be a fun matchup stylistically even though Ferg's durability, pressure and just the way he is always switching things up in the cage being too much for Pettis but who knows? that's why we tune in.

What I love about the fight is, no matter where it goes, it'll be pretty even & entertaining. On the feet, Ferg and Pettis are both high level strikers with good chins, and on the ground, they're both BJJ black belts. Can't wait.

Looks like a pretty sick card, now we've got a backup if godforbid something happens to khabibib

If Khabib falls out, we'll get Tony vs Conor which is equally as exciting in my opinion.

Last time both Pettis were on a card they got their ass kicked.

tumblr_nl8q8aPdt91tugoyjo1_400.gif

Waterson vs. Herrig on main and O'Malley as featured prelim.

No incident… the Main and Co-Main happen.

I hope they dont left Michelle out of the card to put some nobody in there.

We're 43 days away from UFC 229, and the card is finally beginning to come together. For the first couple of weeks, we all agreed that aside from the Main Event, the card was looking super weak.

With the somewhat recent news of Sean O'Malley vs Jose Quinonez, and the extremely recent news of El Cucuy's return vs Anthony Pettis, I think the (main card) is pretty much complete. Anything else, would be a cherry on top.

View attachment 426321

Here's the card as it stands (without Tony vs Pettis). ^^

If I were to construct the main card to maximize its potential, I'd lay out the following.

Khabib Nurmagomedov (c) vs. Conor McGregor (Main Event)
Tony Ferguson vs. Anthony Pettis (Co Main Event)
Derrick Lewis vs. Alexander Volkov
Ovince Saint Preux vs. Dominick Reyes
Sean O'Malley vs. José Alberto Quiñónez
(This is ideal)
The last fight on the prelims, would be Michelle Waterson vs Felice Herrig.

Let's all be honest though, the UFC will most likely put the top WMMA bout on the main card. It's not the worst possible Women's fight, but I think we'd all rather see OSP vs Reyes on the main.

What would your line up be for the UFC 229 Main Card?

it doesn't really matter conor sells itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back