UFC 228 prelims do lowest number in past year

Surprised numbers ain't much lower. Ended up being a fun card, but before hand it wasn't that appealing & certainly not to the casuals.

A lot of no-name fighters and zero promotion (as usual). I enjoyed the prelims, but I wouldn't have known they were even on unless I had logged into Sherdog. The UFC is a joke of a promotional company.

Was a fun card though and the prelims were good.

Zero guys with PPV drawing power (brits get it free) so really, not surprising , this could’ve easily been a free card

I recorded it. Texas A&M was playing Clemson in a classic

“Identify the needs and wants of your target audience by organizing a focus group. Different programs have different "target" viewers; some programs (such as dramas) are geared to women, while sports programming is designed to attract male viewers. These are called "demographics." One way to identify the wants of your target demographic is to hold a focus group. This can be done online or in person. It involves gathering a small group of people -- typically from your target audience -- and asking them what they like or dislike about a certain program. The program's directors can then make changes based on the results of the focus group.

Change your talent. For a news program, this would mean changing your anchors or your meteorologist; for an entertainment program, this would mean changing the stars of the show. The popularity of a given personality is rated based on something called "Q" scores. When a TV personality has a low "Q" score, it means he is not liked by the viewing public. Sometimes firing this individual can lead to an increase in ratings.”

Source: https://itstillworks.com/12454855/how-to-improve-broadcast-tv-ratings

Damn, the live prelim thread on sherdog almost surpassed the tv ratings. Yikes...

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/9/12/17848192/ufc-228-prelims-do-lowest-number-in-past-year

A combination of the UFC 228 prelims being moved to unfamiliar territory on FX, college football competition, along with no major interest in the show, led to the lowest numbers in one year.

Saturday’s show averaged 560,000 viewers, peaking with 683,000 viewers for the Tatiana Suarez win over Carla Esparza in the final of the four matches on the show.

It was the lowest number since the prelims before UFC 215, held on Sept. 9, 2017. That night saw a series of circumstances that hurt the number, notably the Walker Cup golf tournament going long and delaying the start of the FS 1 show by one hour, leading the second hour to only do 418,000 viewers, before the Amanda Nunes vs. Valentina Shevchenko headlined show, which ended up being among the lowest pay-per-view number in modern company history with about 100,000 buys.

Thus far in 2018, prelims held on FS 1 have averaged 789,000 viewers while those on FX have averaged 617,000 viewers.

-

No way to spin it
That doesn't bode well for the PPV buys
So why did Dana say on the Tony Robbins podcast 2 weeks ago that the UFC is now worth 7 Billion, almost double what it was just sold for. Complete bullshit or does ESPN deal make up for all of it?

Dana was right. Tyron doesn’t draw. Sad to say.

Colby is the last best hope for the WW division. He could be a monster heel/massive babyface depending on one’s political leanings if he can defeat Woodley. The WWF did the same thing with Bret Hart in 1997, with a USA vs the rest of the world angle that was absolutely red hot and created the blueprint for the Attitude era.

Colby is the man to make WW great again.

People are probably going to bash me for this, but the Woodley-Till fight was a snorefest. That first round was cringe-worthy and physically painful to watch. This is what you get when your main fight is crap.

Not surprising

The only promotion I saw of the event was the BT sport pieces on Darren Till
There was zero hype, fight week was bland and forgettable, and I heard from people who went to the show that even on the ground there wasn't much promotion (though apparently the gate and attendance were bad)
Shame because it was a fantastic card, but this is gonna do basement numbers

My guess going in was 125k

Where you at, Woodley cucks ?

Dana F. White has every right to storm out of the PPV enraged after Woodley won. Mofo is bad for business.

@FrankieNYC Is UFC now worth 7 billion or was that the most egregious bald-faced lie from the bald one ever answer my question it's about numbers that's what youre here for right? Flex your shit.

Whole card was crap. True some good finishes, but in non-meaningful fights that don't affect the title picture. If you just want to see finishes, go to a Gladiator Challenge card and see 15 first round KO's.

This was the first event I skipped in almost a year, and so I only caught the preliminary fights and gladly saved the $65, but I was pretty skeptical when I began reading on here from multiple people that it was the best card of the year. Then again, the majority of humans seem to have the memory of house flies.

Back