UFC 226 PPV buyrates affected by co-main cancellation?

berserknick

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Do you guys think this hurts buyrates or does it ultimately not matter much?

I personally was looking forward to it but still plan to buy the PPV anyway.

Not many people know who Max is. Sucks for the fans who follow him

I don't think it will make a huge difference, I don't think this card does very well regardless. The UFC seems to think it's on the fighters to promote themselves.

For once they put out some promotion for this card and one of the main fights gets cancelled.

<31>

it was the best fight on the card an the one i was most excited for.

so honestly at the moment i may not buy it.

I was considering ordering the event but now there's only 4 fights on the main card so it's not really worth it.

I think it will hurt sales... yes

Every year I pick one “big” UFC event to host a party for my coworkers and family at my house. This event was going to be the one a month ago but my wife made plans for a mini vacation this weekend. Glad she did now.

The fight i wanted the most gone THIS IS BULLSHIT were the interim belt.... Shouldnt ortega get that with a fight agaisnt the n3 or who ever .....

Do you guys think this hurts buyrates or does it ultimately not matter much?

I personally was looking forward to it but still plan to buy the PPV anyway.
It should hurt at least a bit. Was a solid co main...

Fuck this card anybody other weight theyda made an interim belt book ortega khabib now nobody wants to wait for ever for another missed fight

Probably not a big affect. It was going to be an intriguing fight and one that fans who really know these guys and what has been going on the division wanted to see. Good HW fights draw interest so DC/Stipe and Lewis/Ngannou may still hold onto whoever was intending to buy.

For once they put out some promotion for this card and one of the main fights gets cancelled.

<31>

What promotion is that? WME is a promotional-based company, this card should be on every mainstream media show there is. Unfortunately I don't see that happening.

I'll gladly admit my mistake if 226 does a huge gate and PPV buys, say in excess of 600K.

Well I'm from Hawaii and I know there was a large amount of people out here, locals who are mainly casuals going to purchase the card just to support Max. Now after speaking with a good amount of people on the 4th, the majority will not be buying the card anymore due to the Hawaii boy being taken off.
FWIW

This in particular doesn't hurt it. What hurts is that UFC 224 was Nunes vs Pennington.

Cards used to have high buy rates because the UFC always put on great fights. The UFC name was a stamp of good fights and good names. 99% of fans only know who Brock and Conor are. When a card wasn't headlined by Brock or Conor, those 99% of fans bought cards because the UFC name meant that it would be headlined by someone like Stipe, Romero, or Cormier. Fans were ok with spending $65 knowing that they would get that product.

Now, the UFC name means that $65 cards might be headlined by Pennington.

So, that 99% doesn't buy the UFC name anymore. That means that Romero, Stipe, and Cormier will only sell slightly above what Pennington does instead of a bit below what Brock does. That 99% only buys when they see Brock or Conor now. They don't know who DC and Stipe are. They could be manlets or bums and casual fans are not going to research it for themselves (research is what "hardcores" do). They don't trust anymore that the UFC didn't load the main card with women, journeymen, and manlets. The UFC lost that trust by doing just that.

Holloway, just like Stipe and DC are, was mostly meaningless to this card's buy rate.

Back