UFC 224 and UFC 225 main events?

johncola

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With the rumored 3 champion vs champion title fights for UFC 226, that means there are 6 fewer champions available for the UFC 224 and UFC 225 cards. So who will headline these cards?

UFC 224 is May 26 in Rio de Janeiro
UFC 225 is mid-June location TBA

Stipe and DC fighting UFC 226. Could they make an interim LHW title fight? Gustafsson vs Jones II? Gustafsson vs OSP?

Rockhold and Romero fighting February 11, so they could be available. Whittaker status unknown. Weidman, Gastelum, Jacare/Brunson are lined up next.

Woodley will surely fight on one of these cards. Likely opponents are RDA and Covington. Woodley/RDA could headline in Brazil. McGregor or GSP are the opponents Tyron wants, but it doesn't look like either is gonna happen. edit: @peterparker66 pointed out that Woodley/Nate is a possibility too.

Tony and Khabib fighting April 7, so they probably aren't available for 224 or 225. Plus Khabib has Ramadan.

Holloway and Edgar fighting March 3, so there's a small chance the winner could be ready to fight on 224 or 225. Ortega or the Emmett/Stephens winner are likely as next contender. Or Holloway and Edgar could rematch if there's reason to.

TJ and DJ fighting UFC 226. Could they do an interim BW title fight? Garbrandt vs Rivera?

Cyborg and Nunes fighting UFC 226. Could they do an interim BW title fight? I can't think of who it'd be between.

Nicco Montano still hasn't got a fight scheduled. She could fight the Shevchenko/Pedrita winner. Or Sijara Eubanks. But these aren't PPV main events.

Rose and Joanna fighting March 3, so there's a small chance the winner could be ready to fight on 224 or 225. Andrade/Torres and Herrig/Kowalkiewicz are the next big contendership fights. Plus if Rose wins, she has the option of fighting Carla Esparza next to try and avenge that loss.

So, what do you predict will be the main events of UFC 224 and UFC 225? I'm gonna guess:

UFC 224: Woodley vs. RDA
UFC 225: Middleweight title fight. Rockhold/Romero winner vs. Whittaker or Weidman

Last edited:
Nunes/Cyborg makes the most sense for 224 but they want it on 226.

It would be a bit unfair to make Woodley defend in Brazil, he also wants on 226.

Nate said he's coming back for a Fight maybe Woodley will fight him as the UFC tried to make that fight previously .

Down for a Super PPV. But this leaves a few events with Fight Pass guys on the main-card... But Is Normal in 2018. Thought they didn't want to hold up anymore divisions...

Jones gets 6-9 months retroactive suspension

Gus X Jones II LHW interim title for UFC 225
I would love for that to happen. The fight, I mean. I don't think Jones is coming back that early though.

I don't really care whether it's for an interim title. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

make Tyrone fight RDA in Rio as payback for the shitshow he put on against maia.

the entire build up for the fight will be tyrone crying about race.

Nunes/Cyborg makes the most sense for 224 but they want it on 226.

It would be a bit unfair to make Woodley defend in Brazil, he also wants on 226.
I agree with you. I'm not sure the UFC wants it on UFC 226 though. I think that's just what Cyborg wants. She wants to be on a big card with other champions to try and piggyback off their drawing power for the PPV points. I think the UFC are the ones who want it on 224.

If it isn't Cyborg/Nunes, and it isn't Woodley/RDA, what else could the main event be? Are there any other big fight possibilities involving Brazilians?

Anderson Silva vs someone, I guess. But isn't he in USADA purgatory right now?

Rockhold/Romero winner vs Jacare if he beats Brunson. That's another possibility.

If they were gonna do an interim fight at bantamweight, that'd be the fight. But I don't think so. This is a bit much, even by the UFC's recent standards.

Yea exactly, was just speculation. Tried to look at WBW as well but that division is an absolute wreck. No stand out contenders at all

I think if Cyborg doesn't take the Nunes fight on UFC 224,
they will give up the super fight idea and book Nunes vs someone on UFC 224.
UFC 225 could get Woodley vs RDA.

Back