1. Season 6 of the International Shoop League is now active! Click here to vote on your favorite shoop submissions!

UFC 221 PBP/Discussion

Discussion in 'MMA Betting Discussion' started by EzFlyer, Feb 10, 2018.

1. MidgardSerpent

MidgardSerpent Brown Belt

Don't really disagree with most of what you said. People have personality quirks that may come with certain advantages and disadvantages. And going a 100% every training is gonna be a quick way to burn out your body long and short term. If you put GSP's mind in Hunt's body, the total sum wouldn't be Hunt, and who knows, he might be making a lot less money now or be less of a fan favorite, or just flat-out be a worse fighter.

But somewhere between the space of an all-out work ethic and just being lazy and negligent, there's gotta be some wiggle room, I'd say in his case, a LOT of wiggle room.

He's been smoking since he was 10, he was still smoking when he won the k1 grand prix at 26, and I'm pretty sure he was also smoking during his Pride stint. Not sure if he still smokes, but that's at least a period of 20 years of smoking for an athlete who's highly depended on cardio. And I think he ballooned up to over 300 pounds before his fight against Werdum, there is no way that helped him increase his chances of beating Werdum because eating shitty foods made him so happy and relaxed. I also generally don't think winging the training is better for longevity, because you will pay for it in the actual fight.

There has got to be some realistic form of improvement there without compromising your base personality and happiness, if he claims otherwise he's just being dishonest imo. So I maintain my opinion he wasted a lot of potential.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  2. northsofia

northsofia Orange Belt

And what do you think about Hunt`s autobiography? Is it interesting reading? Does it worth the time spent to read it?

3. Gugabe

Gugabe Green Belt

Yeah. I really enjoyed it.

northsofia likes this.
  4. stretcharmstrong

stretcharmstrong Purple Belt

Wow, Hunt is making at least 650k a fight more than he should be.

5. Shoulder

Shoulder #29 most average paid MMA bettor on Sherdog.

More like everyone else is making 650 k less than they should be.

rille31 and waiguoren like this.
  6. Gugabe

Gugabe Green Belt

Yeah, and Hunt has more ability to make money elsewhere than most. I believe he'd be the favorite in the Bellator HW tournament right now, and his earning potential for Rizin would be pretty high. He also appeared in a top 5 GFOAT, which helps a bit.

On a side-note, the Tapology Greatest Fights list confuses the fuck out of me. Sonnen-Silva was a great moment, but it was a one-sided mauling for 95% of its runtime. Rory-Lawler had one of the great visual moments with the bloodspit, but I wasn't on the edge of my seat watching it live. I was just kinda sad for how Rory's body gave out like that after he'd won 3/4 rounds pretty comfortably.

7. MidgardSerpent

MidgardSerpent Brown Belt

I have read 4 auto-biographies of fighters, Ronda, Hari, Iron Mike, and Hunt. Tyson is my favorite, but Hunt is a pretty good read also. Hunt is an avid gamer, he played Streetfighter, Mortal Kombat, and tons of counter strike (where he preferred one-shot weapons like the sniper). He was playing CS in an online cafe when he got flamed by some troll, he found out where the troll lived, which happened to be very nearby his location. So went over there with the intention to kick his ass. Turned out to be a 10 year old kid when he got there at the front door. :D

LEMONZEST likes this.
  8. LEMONZEST

LEMONZEST Planning parlays...

Yeah I dunno I could be wrong just a theory. Many of the people that excel to a high level have some major quirks. I am not just talking about fighting.

Its like math or coding genius dudes with no social skills. There is a trade off for being really good at one thing.

Jon Jones and Hunt are great fighters but part of their greatness package includes some weaknesses that any normal person could avoid.

its a package deal ...you get great attributes with the quirks.

9. Soccer Steve

Soccer Steve Blue Belt

pToJGHo.jpg

Happy valentines fellow degenerates.

(Not mine, stolen from reddit, completely. Thought you'd all enjoy)

EzFlyer, greenmouse and Naught2Sixty like this.