UFC 221: Javier Mendez & Bob Cook: "Lucky Strike" Is Yoel Romero's Only Chance Against Luke Rockhold

Arm Barbarian

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score

AKA coaches Javier Mendez & Bob Cook break down several upcoming fights, including DC / Stipe, Khabib vs Cucuy, and Rockhold vs Romero.

DC vs Miocic:

Javier says he believes the Cormier vs Miocic fight will ultimately come down to who wants it more mentally on fight night. He thinks both guys match up well against the other, and it may be a battle of will to determine who comes out on top.

Bob Cook says he thinks DC & Stipes wrestling will cancel out each other, and it will wind up being a stand-up brawl. lol

Nurmagomedov vs El Cucuy:

In regards to Khabib vs Ferguson, Javier says that Khabib has made the most improvements he ever has in recent times, and to expect Ferguson to get "crushed."

Mendez dismisses Khabibs manager Alis comments about Tony "never fighting again" after the fight, saying that Ferguson is a warrior, on a ten-fight win streak. He also says that despite being Khabibs coach, he is a fan of El Cucuy.

Bob Cook says in terms of Khabibs preparation, it's more about focusing on what Tony will do to try and STOP Nurmagomedov, as everyone knows what Khabib is going to do. lol

Both coaches reiterate that this fight will be for the REAL belt, regardless of the McGregor situation.

Rockhold vs Romero:

Javier says that Yoel has very specific strengths, such as wrestling and explosiveness, but that he is limited in his ability to finish Luke, depending where the fight takes place, whereas Rockhold can finish the fight wherever it goes.

Both coaches think that Luke will use his reach and pick Yoel apart from the outside. Javier says that Yoel cannot out-point Luke, nor will he out-grapple him. He says that Romeros only chance is to land something big on Rockhold.

Both coaches say that Luke switching camps to Hooft is a non-issue, and that he let them know way ahead of time what he was going to do, and that he would still want them to corner him here and there, regardless of what team he is training with.

They say Rockhold will always remain part of AKA, no matter where he goes.

Last edited:
MindlessFaintBlackrhino-size_restricted.gif

Unfortunately for them Rockhold's defense is terrible, so Yoel will have tons of opportunities to land the lucky strike.

Unfortunately for them Rockhold's defense is terrible, so Yoel will have tons of opportunities to land the lucky strike.

He cannot afford to make a SINGLE mistake against Yoel, or it's lights out.

I think DC is slower than Stipe, that is the only thing I disagree with.

He cannot afford to make a SINGLE mistake against Yoel, or it's lights out.

It comes down to whether Luke is able to stay away from that while landing kicks and maybe winning the grappling exchanges vs if Yoel can land the shot. I have way more faith in Yoel at this point doing so than I do of Luke stopping Yoel.

Yoel’s only been stopped I think by Feijao who is a legit power puncher (hell, even his leg kicks used to be heavy), Luke doesn’t have nearly as much power. Not that it’s always required but, Yoel is built like a tank and he’s taken a shot very well so far in his UFC career.

Back