UFC 215 & 216 Early PPV Numbers ...

lmfao so where are the idiots who said "NUNEZ THE PPV QUEEN DOES 1 MILL EVERY TIME SHE HEADLINES" you fucking dumb goof balls

I don't think anyone actually thinks that.

But I do think the UFC dropped the ball by basically not promoting her at all before the Rhonda fight. That was a moment when a lot of casual fans tuned in, they should have used that exposure to build her up, make her out to be some sort of Brazilian killer or something, so that if she won- which she did- more people might take in interest in her.

It's not so different in Hollywood where they put a young up and coming star in with an established star to ride their coattails a bit.

She may not have the same total potential as RR, but still they dropped the ball with Nunes.

UFC still had PPVs that did 100-150k when Joe Silva was around
yes they did but not as many as now , i was thinking maybe the internet is the reason more watching illeagal streams than 10 or even 5 years ago .

Last edited:
UFC 217 is going to do over a million buys

Of course it will!! The casual fan knows and loves gsp. He has always been a huge draw..bisping is one of those rare personalities that you have fans who love him and watch
I agree with rb3b3. Outside of Mcgregor, who can draw big numbers? Jon Jones is out. RR is retired/semi. The only potential fight on the outlook that might make big numbers is GSP's card with that one eye Brit. It all makes sense now on why they are giving Conor Mcgregor so much leeway in his career and why GSP vs Bisping is happening. The UFC ain't dying but they are stepping into dangerous territory here with the lack of starpower. Maybe they are going for broke with the TV deal.

Look at the current champions right now:

Stipe Miocic. Fought once this year; contract disputes. 300k-450k draw? Gonna" fight Cain sooner or later. Cain gets injured and the division goes on standby again. Yay!

Daniel Cormier. Close to retirement. Probably damaged goods after his last fight. Outside of his two big fights with Jon Jones his drawing power is around 300k+/ ppvs.

Michael Bisping: His fight with Henderson and Rockhold did around 290-300k buys. Even if he beats GSP and does huge numbers if he does fight again after his fight with GSP, I doubt his drawing power will go up much. The guy plans to retire soon and he's gonna duck till the end.

Tyron Woodley: Boring and safe fighting his way to victory; If you call that fighting.. lol? His fight with Wonderboy did like 300k. I can't see the UFC wanting to keep him around for long. I bet they are hoping GSP or Conor fights him in the future or he loses the belt.. to anyone. Mike perry?

Max Holloway: Exciting fighter, low ppv drawer. Can't see big draw power in the future sadly.

Necktat: Exciting fighter. I can see him potentially drawing bigger ppvs if he holds the belt and continues to win. It sucks he's been out for so long due to back injury.

Cris Cyborg: Exciting. Fake belt. Fake Division. Why is it even around? Good card padding for Brazilian cards.

Amanda Nunes: Exciting fighter. Foreign Lesbo. Did UFC 215 do low numbers? Probably.

Joanna Jedrzejczyk: Great technical fighter. Unfortunately she doesn't finish fights oh too often and that probably hurts her significantly. Has she ever headlined a PPV number? I don't think so. She most likely has the same or less drawing power than Mighty Mouse (lol).

This is SPOT on!!!! The bottom line is oversaturation and NO star power!! people have lost interest.. Ronda losing hurt big time, jon jones cheating again hurt big time, mcgregor is in charge of his own career, the ufc is at his mercy this hurts the ufc, the current champions are just BORINGGG af except mcgregor. gatje could be a star but he will probably get kod before that happens. maybe cody can be a star he is actually really exciting. in the meantime it will be a long time before the ufc does big ppv numbers consistently.. its too bad dana was a prick to the diaz brothers because they have more star power than any of the current champs. dana should be kissing their ass!!

Illegal streams and Roku are the same...

You know, there are these things called computers, and you can use them to watch sports and other stuff online. You can even hook them to your tv. They existed and people started using them to stream shit way before Roku and Chromecast other similar devices existed.

They look like this:

desktop_full_view_alt.jpg

Sure...10k probably. I'm glad MM stood his ground and fought the opponent the UFC originally offered for him to fight in the first place.

Are we going off PPV buys as a requirement for title shots now?
well those are different points for different arguments

originally i remarked on how this event should not be seen as a surprise low PPV numbers. The good news is that going forward Tony and Mouse should draw better, even Werdum might get good viewership on Fight Night Sydney

OKAY...

I'm not saying the UFC is dying or anything, but you're wrong.

If PPV is dying, then why did Mayweather vs. Pacquiao, Mayweather vs. McGregor, Canelo vs. GGG, McGregor vs. Diaz I, McGregor vs. Diaz II, McGregor vs. Alvarez do big buys?

Edit: If this PPV is dying narrative was true, then no one would draw big PPV buys, no matter who they were or who they were fighting.

Heck even Jon Jones vs. DC II drew decent PPV buys.

It's not that PPV is dying, it's that these fighters just aren't compelling enough to a non small hardcore fan base.

perhaps "dying" is the wrong measuring stick?

seems to me that both boxing and MMA are seeing very similar trends. a handful of events driven by a handful of fighters are doing bigger PPV numbers than in the past.

the other 90% of PPV events are doing consistently worse than in the past. in both sports.

(caveat - I haven't done any real analysis. observational only)

so you are correct that the entire PPV industry is not dying. but 90% of that market seems to be on a downward trend as the hardcore "I will watch every single PPV" event shrinks, in both sports

if there are fewer events that make sense for the PPV economic model, how will that impact the other distribution channels? will ESPN, HBO and Showtime really increase their budgets to absorb the budget for boxing matches that would have been PPV in the past? Will the UFC's new tv deal provide economic incentive to shift smaller MMA cards to tv?

I follow your comment about "compelling" events. but I will also add that it is quite possible that there is a real ceiling for how many stars can really thrive in a sport at once. stars like Conor and RR bring more eyes to the sport but they also suck the oxygen out of the room for other fighters. to put it another way, could MMA really have a half dozen Conor type stars at a time? or is the total pie more fixed and it becomes more of a zero sum game after awhile?

didnt buy 216 because DJ wasnt headlining or getting PPV points.

WME only understands the bottom line so i have been withholding my $ as a form of protest.

MM did get PPV points.

So you just screwed him over.

Haha.jpg

Never fear, Bellator has been putting in reps on the Hungry Hungry Hippo game.
Bellator sucks. They've improved slightly because the UFC sucks too. But in no way are those guys ready to be the premier MMA org. As the UFC sinks, the quality of MMA overall is sinking with it.

Starting to wonder if super fights are like taking hard drugs such as meth. After you do that enough, you become desensitized to that cup of coffee that used to get you up.

We are now a fanbase of overdosed, desensitized addicts that need a big fix shot straight into a vein just to feel brahs.

Nah, its more the way people consume events.
Very few purchase a PPV by themselves.
Its just tougher & tougher to get people to dedicate a Sat night for non superstar fighters.
If someone is watching solo, there are various ways to consume the fight.

Asking 5 friends to come over & watch a Mighty Mouse PPV is sadly not as big enough event

Bellator sucks. They've improved slightly because the UFC sucks too. But in no way are those guys ready to be the premier MMA org. As the UFC sinks, the quality of MMA overall is sinking with it.

I thought his post was sarcastic.
I hope so at least.
I mean this bomb PPV did the same or better than BFC's biggest card ever

Nah, its more the way people consume events.
Very few purchase a PPV by themselves.
Its just tougher & tougher to get people to dedicate a Sat night for non superstar fighters.
If someone is watching solo, there are various ways to consume the fight.

Asking 5 friends to come over & watch a Mighty Mouse PPV is sadly not as big enough event

Yes but the question is why it is getting tougher.

He did for this fight
In the past he negotiated more guarantee & no points

I wonder if MM screwed himself, maybe should have stuck with upping his guarantee. Those numbers are pretty bad, even for him.

Which PPV of McGregor's did better than that (before that event)? I'm chuckling to myself right now. You'll figure out why.
still, he was already a bigger draw than the GOAT manlet

Back