UFC 215 & 216 Early PPV Numbers ...

This is no longer a matter of casuals. Many people who watch UFC PPVs every month just don't care that much about 125lbs ers, most WMMA and an interim title. For UFC 215, the bars were empty, and people saved their money for the next PPV that their friends can get excited about. If you love the NBA but you don't watch the Detroit or Minnesota games, that doesn't make you a casual. You just don't care about Detroit or Minnesota.

Hey man I'm not arguing that. That's a whole other argument there. Money fights are big business which will lead to more ppv buys.

My statement is the fact that when people don't shell out the dough for a card then they are simply streaming the event for free.
If you don't believe me then head over to reddit mma streams during a bland card.
Try to illegally stream the card and you will run into stream after stream crashing because too many users are streaming the event at the same time.

Bottom line is eyes are watching even if they aren't paying

r/MMA? Why the fuck would I want to do that???

<DisgustingHHH>

This has always been the case from what I've read...

People illegally streaming something isn't a thing that just emerged in the past year. It's been going on forever. Specially with the UFC.

The streams don't crash because of the traffic, they crash because the hosts get e-mailed by reps. of the organization to immediately take them down, which they do.

I remember some years ago Zuffa being big after the pirates as they caught a ton of people illegally streaming their events.

I also remember someone on Twitter replying to a Tweet from the UFC telling them they missed the fight they were Tweeting about because the stream they had gotten had been taken down by the UFC.

This was especially hilarious when it happened...

Wake up, WME.
215 was worse than the majority of UFN cards in the U.S., not the overseas ones. Nobody cares about WMMA unless the support cast is immense.

216 had a good main event for a pointless interim title that nobody took seriously enough to consider it an actual title fight. MM does not draw. Rest of the card was average.

No surprises.

Is the problem wme or that joe silva got done . 100,000 & 120,000 ppv numbers are like 2004 and thats not good .

Starting to wonder if super fights are like taking hard drugs such as meth. After you do that enough, you become desensitized to that cup of coffee that used to get you up.

We are now a fanbase of overdosed, desensitized addicts that need a big fix shot straight into a vein just to feel brahs.

If the billionaires and accountants that run the UFC are fine with the current PPV numbers, we should be as well.

There is no way they are, but since the company is being restructured & both UFC & WME both went up in value since the sale - they are not panicking.
But nobody can spin this as good news.
They can only look at how to change things in 2019 & that was always the plan

Conor is the reason for this mess. But it will help out the fighters in the end.

Source for 216 PPV numbers?

giphy.gif

215 actually cracked 100K? Shit. I'd say that was a success.

Not surprised about 216, I had to call about 7 bars before I could find one showing the fights, and when me and a few friends go there, everyone left after the Michigan/MSU game and we were the only ones there for the fights lol

Nunes went from back to back 1M+ buys

To less than one tenth that buy rate.

Conor still needs to fight Tony but

don't expect the UFC to push for it​

Nunes riding the coat tails of of Brock and Ronda.

Seems to me that there is a portion of the US audience (around 80-100k) that just buys the PPV based on the brand's name: UFC.

You could put whoever in there and it would break 100k.

Why do fans care about PPV numbers is beyond me.

Let me break it down for you, buddy.

UFC has a business model based on PPV.
PPV buyrates have a strong impact in some of the business decisions that are directly related to the final product that us fans will receive. Decisions such as:

• The continuation of PPV model vs leaning towards a 100% Cable or Online streaming model.
  • Matchmaking and quality of fight cards (if numbers are low, chances are they will make adjustments to improve future PPV cards)
  • Number of events and roster size (less events, better quality, a la 2005-2010)
  • New network deal (where will we watch?, how much it will cost us?)
  • Sponsors (High/Low PPV numbers have an impact in the number and type of sponsors. (Do ya like Reebok, brah?)
  • Fighter pay and fighter pay structures (which can attract new talent and/or maintain valuable talent (Rory, Moose, etc.)
And I'm sure there are more.

And ultimately, many of us care about the sport and and don't want to see the greatest MMA promotion in the world fold. If the UFC prospers, we will continue to enjoy watching the best fighters in the world face each other.

So, yeah. I care about PPV numbers; they are a driver for how the brand/sport will look like in the future.

Back