UFC 215 & 216 Early PPV Numbers ...

394Qm3p.gif

Yes, and cinco de octubre.

"Bigger than soccer.."

images

Well, don't forget the World Series is also coming up and people that filed IRS tax extensions back in April have to get them finalized by October 15th (unless it falls on a weekend).

@FrankieNYC Damn these numbers are extremely low. Its just further evidence that the move towards free cards and less ppvs is definitely the way to go in the new deal imo.

People are no longer just gonna buy cards because of name brand, the UFC has to start promoting fighters more or just stacking the hell out of cards. There are no stars in the ufc currently and casuals simply don't care about the majority of fighters anymore.

Its the PPV climate as a hole.
Boxing PPV does crap unless its a big event
Mayweather did 400k or under in between his two biggest fights

Very few buy PPV by themselves.
The current climate of having 3-10 people over, just bc there is a fight (boxing or MMA) is history.
They need a big reason to have a "party"
Otherwise people just wait for a result, stream, torrent or watch on FP later on.

You're right for the short term but they need to look beyond conor and do some heavy promotion for other fighters. Push might mouse as a crazy motherucker get him talking some shit.. promote bisping etc.
Conor ain't going to be there much longer and he's made that fairly clear
Lol MM as a crazy mfer

Its the PPV climate as a hole.
Boxing PPV does crap unless its a big event
Mayweather did 400k or under in between his two biggest fights

Very few buy PPV by themselves.
The current climate of having 3-10 people over, just bc there is a fight (boxing or MMA) is history.
They need a big reason to have a "party"
Otherwise people just wait for a result, stream, torrent or watch on FP later on.
Yeah a good number of people stream the events

We don't really buy

hmmm... solid numbers guys

Wow. I thought 215 might be 125k, but 216 might hit 200k. But that is terrible.

Casuals only care about Conor (previous Ronda, GSP, Brock, etc) and most hardcores don't buy PPVs. But even still it seems the average PPV is trending well down.

120k buys... okay then nope no Conor vs Tony .. sorry Tony you get Khabib and Nate gets the trilogy.

Lol...why? TJ is a huge PPV star all of a sudden?

<{vega}>
well no but he is a former champion still highly ranked at Bantamweight

ten times as popular as Ray Borg who is mostly known for missing weight

That's what happens when you put on 1 event per week.

Also, it feels like they only promote other shows/PPV's while you're watching the one that's happening in front of you. I see no other marketing for any PPV's ever. At least when you had The Ultimate Fighter, they would plug the PPV's during every commercial so it's embedded in your brain that you need to see GSP vs Penn 2, or whatever the fuck.

And when you only put on 2 big names at the top of the card, and the undercard are a bunch of relative no names.....No one's going to want to shell out $60 for that.

Used to be a spectacle to see an Anderson Silva, GSP, or Jon Jones fight - we would have 10 guys at the house willing to throw money in to watch the show. Now it feels like people barely even remember the UFC exists (in Canada anyway)

not too surprised. i myself, was pretty excited for 216 because of the main event, but when i took a closer look at the card i realized that it was kinda underwhelming. having women and flws on the main card isnt a good combo

Last edited:
The issue is the UFC creating these weak cards and trying the convince the public they're stacked and worth the PPV money, but we all know they're not. I think an answer is less PPV events over all, but actually stack them.

If they had combined the best fights of 215 and 216 into one card you'd end up with something that fans can actually get excited about and not feel ripped off on, and I have no doubt would match the 220k buys 215 and 216 got combined.

They could have had a card made up of

Nunes - Valentina
Mighty Mouse - Borg
Ferg - Lee
Doom - Black Beast
RDA - Magny

Plus they could have had the two title fights and not needed to make a pointless interim belt.

If the billionaires and accountants that run the UFC are fine with the current PPV numbers, we should be as well.

well no but he is a former champion still highly ranked at Bantamweight

ten times as popular as Ray Borg who is mostly known for missing weight

Don't think the former champ thing means much these days.

OKAY...

I'm not saying the UFC is dying or anything, but you're wrong.

If PPV is dying, then why did Mayweather vs. Pacquiao, Mayweather vs. McGregor, Canelo vs. GGG, McGregor vs. Diaz I, McGregor vs. Diaz II, McGregor vs. Alvarez do big buys?

Edit: If this PPV is dying narrative was true, then no one would draw big PPV buys, no matter who they were or who they were fighting.

Heck even Jon Jones vs. DC II drew decent PPV buys.

It's not that PPV is dying, it's that these fighters just aren't compelling enough to a non small hardcore fan base.
Hey man I'm not arguing that. That's a whole other argument there. Money fights are big business which will lead to more ppv buys.

My statement is the fact that when people don't shell out the dough for a card then they are simply streaming the event for free.
If you don't believe me then head over to reddit mma streams during a bland card.
Try to illegally stream the card and you will run into stream after stream crashing because too many users are streaming the event at the same time.

Bottom line is eyes are watching even if they aren't paying

Don't think the former champ thing means much these days.
so you are telling me with a straight face that Mouse vs TJ would not sell an additional 10k or more PPV buys than Mouse vs Borg?

Honestly the proof is there to see. No matter how much they try to bullshit and say mighty mouse is the GOAT, it will never be true. His division does not sell and it never will. Strip the title and send him up to 135.
I don't understand, if PPV and gate figures make you the GOAT then why are so many Shertards not willing to admit McGregor is the GOAT. You can't have it both ways. Either MM would s GOAT based on dominating performances and title reign, or McGregor is based on PPV and gate figures.

so you are telling me with a straight face that Mouse vs TJ would not sell an additional 10k or more PPV buys than Mouse vs Borg?

Sure...10k probably. I'm glad MM stood his ground and fought the opponent the UFC originally offered for him to fight in the first place.

Are we going off PPV buys as a requirement for title shots now?

My statement is the fact that when people don't shell out the dough for a card then they are simply streaming the event for free.
If you don't believe me then head over to reddit mma streams during a bland card.
Try to illegally stream the card and you will run into stream after stream crashing because too many users are streaming the event at the same time.

Bottom line is eyes are watching even if they aren't paying
This has always been the case from what I've read...

People illegally streaming something isn't a thing that just emerged in the past year. It's been going on forever. Specially with the UFC.

The streams don't crash because of the traffic, they crash because the hosts get e-mailed by reps. of the organization to immediately take them down, which they do.

I remember some years ago Zuffa being big after the pirates as they caught a ton of people illegally streaming their events.

I also remember someone on Twitter replying to a Tweet from the UFC telling them they missed the fight they were Tweeting about because the stream they had gotten had been taken down by the UFC.

Back