UFC 211 - Stipe vs JDS II - Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd play the moneyline. Masvidal has great wrestling and he's very hard to hold down, throws long straight punches too, will keep Maia at bay.

Maia's grappling is on another level. Even at his age, he's continually improved and made chain wrestling and position advancement into an art form in MMA. Mas being "very hard to hold down" will be irrelevant here imo. If he's put on his back he's in survival mode to try to ride out the round. Trying to work your way back to your feet vs Maia generally leads to him advancing position and suffocating you. Eventually getting mount or more often taking your back.

I can see an argument for Mas in that he controls distance well, has good tdd, and throws great combos with really good power. There's a clear path to victory for him obviously. But it sure as hell doesn't include being taken down and relying on him being "very hard to hold down". Not here, not in this fight. Maia is a freaking tube of expoxy when he gets guys down. Suffocating control, and capitalizes positionally on EVERY opportunity. He takes an inch here, an inch there until "Oh shit, how the hell does he have my back??"

Maia's grappling is on another level. Even at his age, he's continually improved and made chain wrestling and position advancement into an art form in MMA. Mas being "very hard to hold down" will be irrelevant here imo. If he's put on his back he's in survival mode to try to ride out the round. Trying to work your way back to your feet vs Maia generally leads to him advancing position and suffocating you. Eventually getting mount or more often taking your back.

I can see an argument for Mas in that he controls distance well, has good tdd, and throws great combos with really good power. There's a clear path to victory for him obviously. But it sure as hell doesn't include being taken down and relying on him being "very hard to hold down". Not here, not in this fight. Maia is a freaking tube of expoxy when he gets guys down. Suffocating control, and capitalizes positionally on EVERY opportunity. He takes an inch here, an inch there until "Oh shit, how the hell does he have my back??"
Masvidal is looking better than ever and I just think its a bad style match up for Maia. I don't think he'll have much success trying to get Masvidal down. Maia is going to get boxed up on the feet. I'm confident Masvidal wins.

Pretty sure I'm on Mas as well

I feel like edgar is declining so i think im loving yairs price. I need to watch tape tho. Someone talk to me on this?

I'm not really a dog bettor as most you know. But Andrade, Mas and Yair are tempting as fuck.

oww shit didn't know that my boy Jotko is fighting on that card, thats nice .
As a huge JJ fan first time i am a bit worried.
Initial picks : JDS, JJ o3.5 , JJ dec , Maia, Alvarez , Jotko, Frankie .

for me the card is amazing, will go big as for me .

edgar's definitely declining, the thing is he's declining from such a high lvl that he's stil world class. yair's range could cause edgar issues. not got a lean either way right now tbh. prices out for this yet?

edgar's definitely declining, the thing is he's declining from such a high lvl that he's stil world class. yair's range could cause edgar issues. not got a lean either way right now tbh. prices out for this yet?

Yair +150

Funny but Penn was winning the first minute of the fight. He closed the distance and had Yair against the cage. I bet Edgar can do the same while having better cardio.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not counting out Mas at all either, his TDD is very good and maybe he can keep the fight standing. But if Maia does get him down, he's either going to get subbed or he's going to be there for rest of the round IMO. Also, isn't Maia going have at least a decent size/strength advantage here? This is a former MW vs a former LW.

I'm a big fan of Mas and I was hoping to play him here, but I wanted better odds. With lines this tight, I think I have to take Maia. Maybe I'll change my mind when I look at the fight some more. Either way, love this matchup and can't wait to see it.

Elite bettors are on Masvidal

Apparently so are overconfident people. And trolls...

Not saying they're wrong, mind you, I'd be taking a shot at masvidal if he was +200ish.. but Maia clearly the side near pickem in my book.

Apparently so are overconfident people. And trolls...

Not saying they're wrong, mind you, I'd be taking a shot at masvidal if he was +200ish.. but Maia clearly the side near pickem in my book.
Well elite bettors would disagree with you, Masvidal is the OG of #teameasymoney

Maia is old and slow, TD won't be there, Masvidal will most likely embarrass him.

GL but you are not only going up against Masvidal but also elite bettors like myself.

Masvidal is looking better than ever and I just think its a bad style match up for Maia. I don't think he'll have much success trying to get Masvidal down. Maia is going to get boxed up on the feet. I'm confident Masvidal wins.

Reasonable stance to take on the fight for sure. I was only taking issue with you mentioning Mas being "very hard to hold down" because even though I tend to agree, that's irrelevant in this particular fight. IF Maia takes Mas down, the BEST case scenario for Mas is to play defense and survive the round most likely. When it comes to positional grappling Maia is playing chess and almost everyone else is playing checkers.

Reasonable stance to take on the fight for sure. I was only taking issue with you mentioning Mas being "very hard to hold down" because even though I tend to agree, that's irrelevant in this particular fight. IF Maia takes Mas down, the BEST case scenario for Mas is to play defense and survive the round most likely. When it comes to positional grappling Maia is playing chess and almost everyone else is playing checkers.
I think this will be similar to the Maia vs McDonald fight.

Maia has had some good style match ups on his latest run and I think he has over performed. He turns 40 this year and I think his luck runs out against Masvidal, it's a nightmare match up for him. Unlike Condit who was a gift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back