UFC 209 - Twood vs Wonderboy II - Vegas (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bekitic getting parlayed up. Elkins nearing +600. {<jordan}<36>

Imma take a stab for a full unit once it reaches that. Thats utter madness.

It seems like you do not like the number on Woodley...
I do though, I just gotta look at things objectively. Totally possible he puts his back to the cage and does nothing the whole fight, also possible that he has a new gameplan. Woodley is always one punch away from winning but I really hope he goes for TD's, he's not going to win rounds on the feet unless he does big damage.

Ferg has a high level Darce, that is very dangerous, if he hurts khabib or khabib gasses, I think he can finish him with it.

But just stick to that. Don't try to tell me that khabib has never done anything to anyone with a guard game, it makes me think you can't understand what you are seeing. Know the strengths of your fighter without losing your objectivity About the likelihood of other outcomes. Khabib is a guard destroyer, look at plekz comment if you need to understand technically why. I'd like you to respond with something that technically describes how ferg will deal with khabibs clinch and posture control from guard.

I didn't say he's "never done anything" to guys with good guards. I said he's never hurt them or come close to finishing them. Unless I messed an example of it? I understand what I'm seeing just fine, so save the attempt at being condescending. Khabib is absolutely terrific at top control, chain wrestling, passing to half guard. He'll wreck guys on the ground who don't have the skills off their back to to re-attain guard, or who don't understand they can't get lazy when Khabib is going to trap their arm.

I mean, did I miss Khabib really doing damage and even coming close to finishing someone with a good guard? Do we agree that Ferg at the least has a "good" guard and feel for what guys are trying to do if he's on his back? I mean, there's a chance I'm just seriously overrating Ferg's abilities off his back (and it's not like I think he's Marcelo here) but I don't think so.

As I already said, Ferg is gonna have to make some adjustments to his guard game here if put on his back, especially early. He can't just rely on high guard because Khabi's posture is too good. He needs to mix it up, create small amounts of space and make Khabib WORK to get that space back. I don't think Ferg on his back early in the fight is gonna have a ton of success. But I think he can avoid any serious damage and make Khabib work, which could play into cardio. And I'll take Ferg's cardio over Khabib's (or to be fair anyone else's in the division or maybe in MMA).

Again, please don't condescend. I've been doing this too long to read that silly nonsense. Khabib can win for sure. Hell he can even look good doing so. I'd be pretty stunned if he finished Ferg, but I've been wrong before.

I do though, I just gotta look at things objectively. Totally possible he puts his back to the cage and does nothing the whole fight, also possible that he has a new gameplan. Woodley is always one punch away from winning but I really hope he goes for TD's, he's not going to win rounds on the feet unless he does big damage.

Round 3 was very close on the feet with one judge giving it to him. He definitely can win on the feet, its just that the back against the cage is a bad look.

Round 3 was very close on the feet with one judge giving it to him. He definitely can win on the feet, its just that the back against the cage is a bad look.
True but I don't trust him to win rounds on the feet unless he does big damage. Having his back on the cage is something he's been doing a long time. TD's seem key for Woodley to win this fight unless he lands a bomb

Bekitic getting parlayed up. Elkins nearing +600. {<jordan}<36>

Imma take a stab for a full unit once it reaches that. Thats utter madness.
holy fucking balls. I took it at 525 and am happy with that. This line is bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

What are you opinions on WB being the Fav in NSC and TWood being the dog? Yeah I could see WB finishing Woodley with a Tekken combo, but Woodley is so deadly as seen from the first fight.

In the UFC, he probably should have lost to Tibau. Lame fight, Tibau a roider, etc. But Khabib went 0 for 13 on takedown attempts in that fight.

When was the last time you watched that fight? If it's been a while, watch it again on mute. It shocks me that people actually scored it for Tibau and I think it's the Rogan effect. Tibau basically backed up the whole fight and had zero effective offense. At least Khabib was coming forward and landed some punches.

Count me in on the Teymur train. I think this fight is close, and Teymur is far more technical. Put a unit on it.

When was the last time you watched that fight? If it's been a while, watch it again on mute. It shocks me that people actually scored it for Tibau and I think it's the Rogan effect. Tibau basically backed up the whole fight and had zero effective offense. At least Khabib was coming forward and landed some punches.

Last week LOL. I scored it for Tibau (again). Coming forward and doing nothing else isn't "effective" aggression to me. Tibau outlanded him in 2 rounds (both sig strikes and total strikes) and one round was even (for sig strikes, Tibau I think landed more total strikes that round too). I watched it with sound off on my computer.

I mean, I kinda hate the word "robbery" unless it's like Diego vs Pearson. And this fight was too lame by both guys to get called any sort of robbery anyway. But as little as Tibau did in that fight (and it was VERY little), I actually think Khabib did less. Judging is also subjective I realize. Maybe some people give more credit to cage hugging and moving forward than I do. I look at it thinking that you don't get credit for those things unless you do SOMETHING else to go along with it. And Khabib really did nothing at all.

Anyway Tibau was roided to the gills and Khabib is just way better now so it's not very relevant imo.

I'm thinking of playing the over in khabib/ferg to hedge my ferg bets. Heck it may even win!

No idea why i'm going to join in on beating this horse even further into the grave, but for me the X factor is still exactly what Tony keeps saying about slicing and dicing...we've never seen Khabib have to grapple through a blood bath and this fight could become that with a guy that is much craftier on the ground that anyone hes faced. The more chances to slip away = the more the odds keep shifting in Tony's favor

Maybe Tony will pay homage to the god of elbowing against the smothering wrestler himself..hopefully with better results and less fence grabs 10ft in the air lol

l.jpg

Btw, Tony is waaaay waaaay slower than Khabib, Tony was considerably slower than Edson and Lando and MJ and the list goes on, anyone saying he has a speed advantage is smokin

so long he can maul ferguson against the fence he'll do just fine most likely, i really don't think ferguson is going to have much success if he winds up playing clinch game with khabib, it's really only in open space khabib has to mind his p's and q's. i also think you and multiple others are disregarding how freakishly strong khabib is in those positions, and how developed his sense for posture on the ground is. you need space to work '10th planet' khabib is not a fighter that gives you space, he suffucates people until they can't take it anymore and essentially give up.

who are you trying to convince exactly? if that's actually accurate, then fergusons whole ''style'' & ''mindset'' is essentially a mistake waiting to happen. meaning it's just a matter of time before his opponents capitalize on his 'stupidity' and make him pay for it.

and this is the guy you are trying to make a case for why it makes sense to throw money at him? REALLY!?

he illegally upkicked barboza on the ground before winning that fight, and he scratched rda's cornea

so what happens when he has a fight where he can't get away with that type of stuff?

he was BADLY hurt against barboza, and he was BADLY hurt by vanatta, but he somehow ''knew'' he can take that type of punishment?......

Ferg was never hurt by barboza let alone badly hurt i suggest you rewatch that fight.

Confidence increase ferg not seen plekz this involved since his anti conor rants

I just want to address a few things here.

I see the Ferg is stupid comments rearing their head again. This is the most creative fighter in the game that level of creativity does not come from a stupid man. Yeah he's eccentric but he's a maverick these types of people no matter what field of work they are in generally do not conform to conventional wisdom. He goes completely against conventional thinking with his training camp he doesn't go to big gyms he has formed his own gym where he is the centre of attention that's a smart guy. He's as nutty as a fruitcake but that's a good thing that's why he is the fighter he is.

Secondly, i see a lot of comments that Ferg does this and that and is reckless, etc. Hell, I was guilty of it myself saying i don't want him to leg kick as that's how he gets taken down. Ferg is as good as he is, and has got to where he is due to his offensive dynamism, creativity and as he calls it free flow style. You cannot try to contain or modify his style no matter who he is fighting. Yes the conventional train of thought will be against someone like Kebab to watch his p's and q's and not do half the risky shit he does. But the more i have thought about this and the more you have to just let Ferg go out there and do his thing. I've bet him pretty big and i know he is going to give me a few heart attacks in this fight, he always does, and yes he may lose this is a close fight. But i don't want Ferg to fight any different his creativity is what makes him soooo good and so dangerous if he contains himself we get half the fighter and he will probably lose. Having said all this the one thing i do not want to see is the Immanri/Ryan Hall role - he only did it once against RDA so i think that shows he can still fight creatively while at the same time not being stupid.

I think it was Plekz who mentioned how overly aggressive Ferg is. Yeah he can be but against someone like Barboza it was the perfect strategy. Watch the RDA fight he applies intelligent aggression he wasn't overly aggressive in that fight at all. He showed against RDA that he can fight to a gameplan. Ferg has to apply aggression in this fight but he needs to do it intelligently. Kebab has shown particularly against Healy and r3 against RDA that he does not like being pressured. The worst thing you can do to someone who is not that comfortable striking is put them on the back foot, as fighting off the back foot is very difficult even for some very good strikers. It is far more natural to attack on the front foot. Being backed up is a whole different world.

My reasoning for betting Ferg is mainly he has three paths to victory compared to Kebab's one, and the value is on Ferg. This should be a pick 'em. Even Firas couldn't pick a winner.

Last edited:
Last week LOL. I scored it for Tibau (again). Coming forward and doing nothing else isn't "effective" aggression to me. Tibau outlanded him in 2 rounds (both sig strikes and total strikes) and one round was even (for sig strikes, Tibau I think landed more total strikes that round too). I watched it with sound off on my computer.

I mean, I kinda hate the word "robbery" unless it's like Diego vs Pearson. And this fight was too lame by both guys to get called any sort of robbery anyway. But as little as Tibau did in that fight (and it was VERY little), I actually think Khabib did less. Judging is also subjective I realize. Maybe some people give more credit to cage hugging and moving forward than I do. I look at it thinking that you don't get credit for those things unless you do SOMETHING else to go along with it. And Khabib really did nothing at all.

Anyway Tibau was roided to the gills and Khabib is just way better now so it's not very relevant imo.
Fair enough. I actually thought Khabib outlanded Tibau (not in terms of numbers necessarily, but in terms of how clean his shots were). I'm sure you can understand why I'm not interested in watching it again to see if you are correct :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back