UFC 167: Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks PBP (Discussion)

sherdog is breaking down. close fight, think J won. 3rd round in the questionable one i take it

Round 1 was the split, the judges disagreed on round 1. You either had it 1,2,4 Hendricks or 1,3,5 GSP, the entire fight was decided by the first round.

Good on GSP for showing up at the post-fight conference. I think he owed it to the fans and Johny after that fight and post-fight comments. Nothing but class. I thought Hendricks handled himself well at the conference as well.

split decision? check

champ fight? check

GSP? check

mma webs go boom

gpa look like he got pugilistic dementia. i hope he hangs it up on top, this fight should have been a wake up call that hes slowing down.

here is the scorecard

ACVEL6f.jpg

Round 1 was the split, the judges disagreed on round 1. You either had it 1,2,4 Hendricks or 1,3,5 GSP, the entire fight was decided by the first round.
Nop,its allowed in the free world to disagree with the judges scoring,even the unanimous rounds for them.
2,4 Hendricks
5 GSP
1 round, could go esither way,gsp could have been more effective grappling wise
3 round, being round 1 to gsp for his takedown, this only can go to Hendricks

Effective striking, Hendricks got GSP rocked and smashed him through the fight
GSP effective striking was way less dangerous

Got to see it again,cause i came home from a heavy night and started watchin the fight. Hoping GSP solves his problems and come back,this win its not the way to finish a career,he will be back and gives good fights again,i trully hope that.

Crappy decision really put a damper on the night, but one of the few moments of levity was seeing Joe Rogan staring off into space during the post fight wrap-up with this "WTF just happened?" look on his face.

Johny Hendricks is lucky he even did as well as he did. GSP's head clearly wasn't in it. Next time GSP will beat him again. This time more decisive.

This is an excerpt from bloody elbows play by play for round 2. I think it explains the round perfectly, but I feel GSP won it. I feel GSP may of won it as he was busiest in the later part of the round. Extremely close round though.

Round two: Leg kick from Georges. Johny blocks a couple body kicks. Hendricks with a 1-2 and GSP with a jab. Hard left from Hendricks and GSP is wobbly. Uppercuts here from "Bigg Rigg" and Johny lost his mouthpiece. Yamasaki calls time to get it back in. Left from Hendricks again. Knee. Right. Hendricks is looking fantastic here. Clinch to the cage with GSP trying to stop the takedown. Knees to the thigh from Hendricks. Hook from GSP and a jab. Another. Hook from Georges and another jab. Superman jab from GSP. Low kick from Hendricks. Hendricks misses a left. Straight right from GSP. Jab meets an attempted kick from Hendricks. He hits a jab of his own. Head kick lands from GSP. Hook from GSP, left from Johny and a counter from GSP. Hendricks looks to have slowed down a bit here. They clinch. Hendricks hits those thigh knees about four times.

Close, close round. Hendricks 10-9

Johny Hendricks is lucky he even did as well as he did. GSP's head clearly wasn't in it. Next time GSP will beat him again. This time more decisive.

Johny beat up GSP and now he was lucky? lol. If Hendricks knocked him out in the first round you would say that he was lucky then too. Now he systematicly beat George down and still it isnt good enough for you. Is there any legimate way Bigg Rigg could have won this without you trying to discredit him?

I propose opening scoring system. If Hendricks knew it was dead even going into the 5th, he wouldn't have been so passive.

Johny beat up GSP and now he was lucky? lol. If Hendricks knocked him out in the first round you would say that he was lucky then too. Now he systematicly beat George down and still it isn't good enough for you. Is there any legimate way Bigg Rigg could have won this without you trying to discredit him?

Not committing either way to this controversy, but that's a dumb question. Obviously FINISHING HIM would be the "legitimate way" here. Also, there's an argument to be made that GSP tends to be terrifying in rematches where the first one didn't go his way, or left a bad taste in peoples' mouths. Penn knows this, Hughes knows this, Serra knows this. The worst advantage GSP can have over you is knowing he can hang in there with you 5 rounds and come out conscious. GSP has been down the road with Hendricks now and knows the path, he's a bit more studied and strategic than Johnny, who relies on what I'm sure he thinks is a limitless supply of youth, power and gumption. But whatever, sounds like Georges wants out, anyhow, so we should all move on.

Not committing either way to this controversy, but that's a dumb question. Obviously FINISHING HIM would be the "legitimate way" here.

People would just say Hendricks was lucky and you know that too. Hell he just dominated GSP in a fight and somehow he still got "lucky". Fucking unbelievable, and i wanted George to win.

People would just say Hendricks was lucky and you know that too. Hell he just dominated GSP in a fight and somehow he still got "lucky". Fucking unbelievable, and i wanted George to win.

Had Hendricks finished GSP after the first couple of rounds last night, nobody in their right mind would call that lucky, and if they did, you'd be justified in being annoyed at this vague mob of "people". As it stands, Hendricks failed to do the job, leaving the issue in doubt, bottom line. I don't like it anymore than you do...

Had Hendricks finished GSP after the first couple of rounds last night, nobody in their right mind would call that lucky, and if they did, you'd be justified in being annoyed at this vague mob of "people". As it stands, Hendricks failed to do the job, leaving the issue in doubt, bottom line. I don't like it anymore than you do...

except the only people it is in doubt to is the judges and GSP nut-huggers.

Back