UFC 158: Georges St-Pierre vs Nick Diaz PBP (Discussion)

I'll be polite . . . I've been watching this game probably before you were born. Don't try to sound smart with me. Read first phrase. You likely have no right talking to me.

So I'll take that as a no. Ill be sure to address you properly next time your grand sire!

1zwevlgjpg.gif

Would you feel the same way if these were two guys both in their first UFC fights. You probably would have called for their heads.

If had exercised as much active control on the ground (not simply laying in guard or half guard) as GSP had in their UFC debut, no, nobody but an idiot would be calling for their heads.

The fuck? Takedowns and top control are the most rewarded aspects of a fight.

No, it's not. Go look at the unified rules. Grappling, including the takedown, is only highly rewarded under certain circumstances. A strikers game from standup can be just as, or even more highly rewarded. http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations

Grappling is a slow, grueling, technical game. The round system inherently works against grappling in favor of striking. Guard is limited with things like kidney strikes and up-kicks being removed.

Those are progressions of MMA rules. Sure, there are some things that were also limited from the stand up game, but those posed far greater risk to fighters and simply had to be removed if we were to have any level of safety in the ring and longevity in a fighters career. A soccer kick to the head is likely to land you with a subdural hematoma, in which case you're lucky if your neurosurgeon can save your life.

GSP dominated that fight from start to finish. He deserves to be considered arguably the best P4P fighter.

Problem is, his fights are soooo boring now. This latest fight has only reinforced this truth. He won't/can't finish, but the other top guys in their respective weight divisions do finish their opponents. GSP doesn't. This is not good.

I'm never going to purchase a GSP-headlined PPV again. I'll go to my local sports pub to watch his fights.

If had exercised as much active control on the ground (not simply laying in guard or half guard) as GSP had in their UFC debut, no, nobody but an idiot would be calling for their heads.

I'll admit GSP was amazing the first round. His control was literally second to none, but eventually you need to impose your will on people. Position isn't everything

I'll admit GSP was amazing the first round. His control was literally second to none, but eventually you need to impose your will on people. Position isn't everything

Unfortunately it is everything when the fight has GSP in it.

Hated that fight so much.

True. But at best Diaz did slightly better than GSP standing, and and half the fight was on the ground where he got dominated. Both guys were bleeding, and neither guy was swollen badly anywhere. GSP will probably have an ice pack the size of a suitcase on his head at the post fight press conference though.

GSP got Nick's back a couple of times, but little came from that. Nick initiated a few scrambles and attempted a few submissions, blocked most of GSP's ground strikes - of which there was not an awful lot. I'm not sure dominating is really the right word for what happened on the floor, but GSP did get the better of it depending on how you value different things.
Anyway, the original comment was just that it wasn't a blowout and Nick should at least be acknowledged for what he managed to do too.

Back