Ude-gatame/razor-armbar

Gorbag

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of the classical judo armbars, but for some reason I think its not that common in BJJ, don't know why. It should work well in no-gi also.

Here some clips how it can be used;

Last edited:
mounted crucifix -> neon face -> ude gatame

Marcello Garcia does it pretty often. I hit this pretty regularly from side control. As the person above said you either need your knee on their face or use your leg to stop them from turning into you, atleast from side.

A monster I train with uses this from butterfly guard very effectively.

I would love to see more instruction videos on this, tbh.

I'm trying to remember the DREAM fight where it was used from the guard I believe and bye bye arm. It was used like a strike.

I'm trying to remember the DREAM fight where it was used from the guard I believe and bye bye arm. It was used like a strike.
Michihiro Omigawa vs Cole Escovedo. A very impressive scalp, at the time.

Old Japanese JuJitsu weapons control/disarm technique found in every modern military training.

You know Judo and Bjj are both from "old Japanese jiujitsu" right?

I wondered why it wasn't common in BJJ as well, and my guess is that there must be some skill disparity to get ude gatame opportunities. It's really a matter of timing, when uke makes and error or when you force an error. You don't "construct" it they way you might a regular armbar. Like a footsweep, adding more force won't make up for technical errors.

The actual move takes quite a bit of skill itself, so combined with the fact that BJJ people are very aware of armbars compared to Judo people, means that investment towards learning this move gets put off until later or never. You just won't get beginners or intermediates hitting it on each other.

Ude-gatame can be applied when fighting for grips already, so a way to drill them is when practising kumi-kata. Its a nice tool to have in the toolbox though and sometimes its quite possible to trap opponent "off guard" even before the match has started properly...

Michihiro Omigawa vs Cole Escovedo. A very impressive scalp, at the time.

Nice.

I've seen the neck-trapping version in BJJ a hundred times, but never seen the arm-entangling version in the videos on this thread.

One of the classical judo armbars, but for some reason I think its not that common in BJJ, don't know why. It should work well in no-gi also.

Here some clips how it can be used;

I've learned a lot from John Frankl's videos and this one explains how to attack in BJJ with this esoteric arm attack. It is fucking amazing. I'm going to try this on everyone.

It's not exactly the same variation, but the straight arm lock from top side control is one of my most frequent submissions. I get an underhook with my wrist under uke's elbow and their wrist over either of my shoulders. Step over the head, triangle my legs, and stretch out across them for an easy tap.

That's still ude gatame, if I'm picturing it correctly. It's a bastard of a sun.

Back