Uber Officially Deemed a Taxi Company in Europe

Orgasmo

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Well I guess that's the end of their joyride in Europe. They will now have to abide by any labor and transport legislation applicable to regular cabs. I wonder if this will have any implications here.

Uber is officially a transport company and not a digital service, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) has ruled.

The ride-hailing firm argued it was an information society service - helping people to make contact with each other electronically - and not a cab firm.

The case arose after Uber was told to obey local taxi rules in Barcelona.

Uber said the verdict would make little difference to the way it operated in Europe, but experts say the case could have implications for the gig economy.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42423627

Already the case for Uber and the even more popular "grab" app here in Singapore. Drivers need a 'private hire' license that needs to be renewed every year, the process is the same as the process for taxi drivers license if I'm not mistaken.

Doesn't make much difference to end user.

Uber thinks they are above the law.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Good. Uber in it's current form is a taxi company, even if they don't want to admit it.

Well I guess that's the end of their joyride in Europe. They will now have to abide by any labor and transport legislation applicable to regular cabs. I wonder if this will have any implications here.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42423627

Europe has never really fostered individual entrepreneurship. Now, is this just in the Fourth Reich (aka EU) or all of Europe???

What do big all encompassing governments love beside genocide? Regulations--cha ching--regulations--cha ching---regulations--cha ching!!!

6ip5jz7pT.jpg

giphy.gif

Good. Uber in it's current form is a taxi company, even if they don't want to admit it.

Not really. Taxi companies have their own cars that cabbies drive for. It is kind of like saying a kid selling lemon aid on the street corner is a minimart.

Not really. Taxi companies have their own cars that cabbies drive for. It is kind of like saying a kid selling lemon aid on the street corner is a minimart.

That's an awful comparison

They've already started getting banned in UK cities London, Sheffield and now York.

If you can't beat them, tax them.

Well, the whole reason taxis couldn’t compete is because they were subject to more regulation and taxes. Uber and Lyft were so successful in part due to the fact that they got around those regulations when I’m not so sure they should have been exempt.

It's why there aren't here in my province in Canada because they are considered a taxi, and don't want to pay insurance for drivers.

Europe has never really fostered individual entrepreneurship. Now, is this just in the Fourth Reich (aka EU) or all of Europe???

What do big all encompassing governments love beside genocide? Regulations--cha ching--regulations--cha ching---regulations--cha ching!!!

6ip5jz7pT.jpg

Thats actually not true, at least not here in California. I have spoken to a lot of cab drivers and they buy the cars from the cab company a lot of the time.

Thats actually not true, at least not here in California. I have spoken to a lot of cab drivers and they buy the cars from the cab company a lot of the time.

Who is responsible in the end? The cabbie or the cab company? Do the cabbies go to the central station?
Uber is in lots of places that cabbies are not.

Well, the whole reason taxis couldn’t compete is because they were subject to more regulation and taxes. Uber and Lyft were so successful in part due to the fact that they got around those regulations when I’m not so sure they should have been exempt.
They are heaven sent for south-east asia where rapists/robbers moonlights as taxi drivers.

they were also successful because taxi drivers are dicks and constantly fuck over passengers

I was always on Uber's side.

Not because they were right, but because I just enjoyed being able to take a ride in a nice clean car for a fraction of the price of a dirty cab.

But yeah, I have to admit Uber is totally wrong, and should be subject to the taxi laws.

I actually don't like Uber very much anymore, since they started allowing tipping. Is there another service that doesn't allow tipping?

I like Uber because it gives people who live in their car a chance to work from home.

It's different wherever you go, here in Singapore, all the taxis are rented from the company....what's more, the majority of Uber cars are rented from Uber! with a minority being rented from elsewhere and a small fraction being owned by the driver. It's why most of the Uber rides here are one of three type of car.

Back