Uber, Lyft Drivers Earning A Median Profit Of $3.37 Per Hour

I am sure there are some uber drivers that do OK. They are in the better locations, they drive the higher paying times of the day or night on the best days, they drive economical cars etc...They probably don't drive the slow times etc.... It sounds like you are one of those people and that is great. If it works for you and you have accurately and honestly run the numbers, fantastic, you are making some easy money.

A few things in the thread does make me think there can be more variance then I originally though, especially now that I know city by city fares can be different. What I will say is the study itself (whether you think uber pay is low or high) isn't a good one. It is a survey that didn't have actual data. The Stafford study did have access to all of Uber's drivers information and the fares paid out. I just think to go by this study over the Stafford one is a little off.

With that said, the Stafford study also got to see the dropoff rates, the amount of time it took a new driver to reach peak efficiency in their fares, etc which somewhat could play into how we are seeing an average but some drivers could be doing way worse and some way better. I just assumed I must not be the way better driver because my revenue number matched the Stafford study almost exactly. Pan mentioned a page or so back that number might be the fare before ubers cut. If that is the case, then my number would be above a decent amount.

Double standard imo. The workplace is multiple locations I need to go to. I'm technically not at work until the first location which is almost always shorter than my commute to my first job each day.

If you turn on the app, you are in business. As long as you are picking up passengers once you get the request, you are good. i.e. you aren't turning it on, riding around all day long, not picking up anyone when requested, running personal errands and then trying to claim a business expense for the miles.

If you turn on the app, you are in business. As long as you are picking up passengers once you get the request, you are good. i.e. you aren't turning it on, riding around all day long, not picking up anyone when requested, running personal errands and then trying to claim a business expense for the miles.

Yea, I definitely don't mix errands with it. I pretty much know the amount of trips I plan to do and usually know how many hours that will take to do so. Like we mentioned previously, you make better money doing a longer shift for a few reasons.

Yeah.. They make it off turnover. It's a scam.

Quick someone tell me about the wonders of the unregulated market and how competition works for everybody.

And while, you're at it, make sure to dump on the medallion system that allowed cabbies to make a living for generations.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...g-a-median-profit-of-3-37-per-hour-study-says

Medallion system aint perfect. There are people who take out loans just to "borrow" someone else's medallion, and they too are struggling. Apparently in NYC for example, medallions have been kept for decades by people who don't taxi, but can make money off of it like a banker.

As with Uber, and Lyft, etc those who can't sustain it will stop. Those left will be able to get more business. Maybe it gets to the point where each individual driver may as well just do his own advertising, and just get direct calls from people instead of going through Uber, then Uber will be obsolete.

what are your thoughts on working amazon flex? Im trying to make some extra cash.

It's easily the best paying gig there is. It's fairly easy, simple work. Even if you only work a couple of shifts a week, it's an easy ~500 bucks extra a month.

Wait until self aware cars replace them.

Knight-Rider.jpg
I have a sudden urge to start looking for an '82 firebird.

@panamaican did u read the .ca supreme court case that ruled on indecent contractors it seems to me uber needs to consider them employees soon

I had heard about it but I hadn't read it yet. I think it's a reasonable decision, gaming the classification is something most states should probably try to put an end to. It's a lot better than lawyers sitting around and drafting contracts that are functionally like employee contracts but legally defensible as ICs.

Didn't Uber settle a case that lets them keep their drivers as ICs? I wonder if this affects that.

Medallion system aint perfect. There are people who take out loans just to "borrow" someone else's medallion, and they too are struggling. Apparently in NYC for example, medallions have been kept for decades by people who don't taxi, but can make money off of it like a banker.

As with Uber, and Lyft, etc those who can't sustain it will stop. Those left will be able to get more business. Maybe it gets to the point where each individual driver may as well just do his own advertising, and just get direct calls from people instead of going through Uber, then Uber will be obsolete.
The next app will just be creating an app that lets people make their own Uber app. Mind blown. But also probably true

Back