U.S. Warship Just Collided With a Tugboat in Japanese Waters

Lord Coke

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
How does this keep happening? This has to be a record for a peace time year. I really think the Navy needs to reconsider how it is training people/.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...or-damage-collision-japanese-tug-boat-n822101

A U.S. Navy destroyer was involved in a minor collision with a Japanese tugboat Saturday during a scheduled exercise, according to the U.S. Navy's 7th Fleet.

The USS Benfold, a guided-missile destroyer, sustained minor damage when a tugboat lost propulsion and drifted into the ship, the Navy said. No one was injured on either vessel and an initial assessment of the damage showed that the destroyer only sustained minimal damage including scrapes.

The guided missile destroyer USS Benfold arrives in port in Qingdao in eastern China's Shandong Province, on Aug. 8, 2016. Borg Wong / AP
But the accident comes at a time when the Navy's 7th Fleet and the U.S. Pacific Command have come under increased scrutiny after several deadly collisions in the region earlier this year.

In June, seven sailors died when the USS Fitzgerald collided with a Philippine container ship. Then, in August, the USS McCain collided with a tanker off the coast of Singapore, killing 10 sailors. After the collision, the Navy ordered the entire fleet to take a one-day “operational pause” to ensure that the ships were meeting safety standards.

Related: Pacific fleet Commander to retire in wake of deadly crashes

In the wake of the accidents, several of the 7th fleet’s leaders were ousted and Admiral Scott Swift, the commander of the U.S. Navy’s Pacific fleet, announced that he would retire from his position after he learned there was no chance for him to be promoted.

In September, Swift said in a statement to NBC News he was retiring "with great appreciation and gratitude for the honor of having served so many Sailors and their families for what will be 40 years in January."

The article says that the tugboat lost power and steered into the path of the destroyer. I'm not a sailing wiz, but aren't ships of that size rather difficult to timely steer away from such? Isn't this the tug's fault?

The article says that the tugboat lost power and steered into the path of the destroyer. I'm not a sailing wiz, but aren't ships of that size rather difficult to timely steer away from such? Isn't this the tug's fault?

Well its thug boat!!

Thanks Obama.

Ever since he allowed Gays in the millitary shisp collided Jet fighters drawing big digs in the air!

In fairness the ship was distracted trying to draw a dick in the water.

When I hear tugboat I think of something else.

81swmo1.gif

Curse you internet.

Not really. They generally can just go forwards. I assume of they got drifted into that they were stopped.

That makes it 3, during peacetime. Now another whole chain-of-command will be relieved of duty. Boy, if the sailors are stressed now, imagine what would happen if they were in combat. So much for high tech. Maybe we should go back to these:

basically this.

/thread

The only thing worse than posters replying to a thread without reading the article in the OP is a TS creating a thread without reading the article in his own OP.

The only thing worse than posters replying to a thread without reading the article in the OP is a TS creating a thread without reading the article in his own OP.

And only a retard would Jump face first in the water!

LOL

Well, if you're gonna crash, you may as well be the substantially bigger ship in the game of chicken

It might be a minor crash but man imagine if someone actually wanted to hurt us. The Cole incident was not that long ago. Imagine a tugboat full of explosives.

As someone who sailed for three years in seventh fleet, tug boats are in very close proximity near port. So they lose control and go on the radio with that. Knowing they won’t sustain any real damage they let them hit them since you also can’t speed up to get out of the way that close to land.

Last edited:
seriously? its 2017 wheres the radar,sonar, friggin people with functioning eyes etc....in a giant ocean hows do 2 boats collide? other than gross human error?

seriously? its 2017 wheres the radar,sonar, friggin people with functioning eyes etc....in a giant ocean hows do 2 boats collide? other than gross human error?
Explained above

Back