U.S. Strikes Killed Scores of Russian Fighters in Syria

Not sure why we are involved in this. However they attached our advisors not we attacked them. Fuck them.

The Russian officials quoted in the article don’t really challenge that the mercenaries attacked the base. They just emphasize that it wasn’t the Russian military.

Wondering if this is connected to the Iran and Israel thing. Continued retaliation.

Of course I'm one that thinks the Isreal and Iran fighting was linked to the drone swarm that attacked the Russian base. Just a big game of chicken at this point.

Wondering if this is connected to the Iran and Israel thing. Continued retaliation.

Of course I'm one that thinks the Isreal and Iran fighting was linked to the drone swarm that attacked the Russian base. Just a big game of chicken at this point.
I don’t think so, the article speculates that the contractors were employed by Russia’s version of Blackwater, hired by the Syrian government. Supposedly the contractors were offered a stake in the oil refineries if they seized them back from the Kurds for the Syrian government. So Russian mercs fighting for shares in the oil fields.

I don’t think so, the article speculates that the contractors were employed by Russia’s version of Blackwater, hired by the Syrian government. Supposedly the contractors were offered a stake in the oil refineries if they seized them back from the Kurds for the Syrian government. So Russian mercs fighting for shares in the oil fields.

Sure, but that is obviously part of a wider strategic objective by all parties involved in Syria. What is that now btw, 8 countries operating in Syria. Turkey, Isreal, Iran, Russia, US, Iraq, the kurds i guess(not a country of course), who am I missing?

Sure, but that is obviously part of a wider strategic objective by all parties involved in Syria. What is that now btw, 8 countries operating in Syria. Turkey, Isreal, Iran, Russia, US, Iraq, the kurds i guess(not a country of course), who am I missing?
Right, but I’m inclined towards Occam’s Razor here. I would guess the Syrian government wanted the refinery and base for the oil profits so they can continue to operate, as well as rebuild parts of their country. In addition, seizing the refinery denies the profits generated from the Kurds. They most likely used contractors so as not to divert forces from other fronts. I’m not sure Israel or Iran had a ton to do with this.

Right, but I’m inclined towards Occam’s Razor here. I would guess the Syrian government wanted the refinery and base for the oil profits so they can continue to operate, as well as rebuild parts of their country. In addition, seizing the refinery denies the profits generated from the Kurds. They most likely used contractors so as not to divert forces from other fronts. I’m not sure Israel or Iran had a ton to do with this.

You don't think russia, iran, and Syria are coordinating everything they do there?

Turkey of course is the wild card.

I am sympathetic to the kurds, but it is hard for me to take our intentions seriously there, as helping the kurds, when we deny them their own country in Iraq by with holding our political support.

There is so much going on here that we aren't being told about.

You don't think russia, iran, and Syria are coordinating everything they do there?

I am sympathetic to the kurds, but it is hard for me to take our intentions seriously there, as helping the kurds, when we deny them their own country in Iraq by with holding our political support.

I think they coordinate to a certain degree, and especially on overarching strategic goals, but I’d be hesitant to say they coordinate on small scale tactical operations like this. The fact that so many Russian contractors were killed, making Russia itself look bad, sort of indicates that they didn’t know this was going down. This strikes me as the Syrian government looking to reclaim some oil production they lost over the past several years. I doubt they knew about the Americans, otherwise they wouldn’t have attacked. Our airpower tends to keep other countries from fucking with our advisors.

I looked for it earlier and couldn't find it. I saw it on liveleak a few days after the Russian jet was shot down. It's not denied by anyone so I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

Resources and other shit at stake. It definitely isn't what it appears at face value.

If they are individuals who are there for a job, a paid contractor security job, and not under the authority of the Russian government, then these casualties are not considered a loss by the Russian State or an attack on the Russian State.

Agreed, these were not even to the level of the "little green men" Putin used in the past.
th

If they are individuals who are there for a job, a paid contractor security job, and not under the authority of the Russian government, then these casualties are not considered a loss by the Russian State or an attack on the Russian State.

No doubt that's one of the reasons contractors are so popular in recent wars. No numbers on those damn casualty lists.

Wonder if they want a mulligan on that one. Didn't end too well for them.

I think Russia likes Israel more and coordinate with them more. Syria is just about having there base and some resource control.

What does this have to do with Putin? Isn't this the equivalent of some Black Water dudes getting blown up?

Were the Russian nationals employed by Russian military or what? Kind of read the article, maybe I missed it.

Wonder if they want a mulligan on that one. Didn't end too well for them.
I’m pretty sure they didn’t know that American advisors were there. The Russians are smart enough to know not to fuck with our airpower, especially CAS. What’s a guy in a T-72 going to do against a Hawg?

I’m pretty sure they didn’t know that American advisors were there. The Russians are smart enough to know not to fuck with our airpower, especially CAS. What’s a guy in a T-72 going to do against a Hawg?

No doubt. Couldn't have seen that coming.

Back