Tyson's height

proncley

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
JCVD is allegedly 5'8 or 5'9 at best.

Eubank is 5'10.

That would make Mike around 5'8 or maybe max. 5'9 ... in his prime he was officially listed at 5'11, which seems unrealistic... based on that it makes it even more impressive that he was doing to 6'2 - 6'5 legit heayweights.

He really wasn't even a big middleweight based on height.

actor-jeanclaude-van-damme-and-professional-boxer-mike-tyson-picture-id50734788

adox1g.jpg

im remember reading once that tyson himself claimed to be a "pathetic 5'10."

Last edited:
Why is it pathetic? It’s impressive that being that height he was one of the most dominant HW champs at the time

tyson himself described 5 10 as being pathetic.

this was when he was already retired

i shouldve put it in quotations

im remember reading once that tyson himself claimed to be a "pathetic 5'10."
I remember reading that same one but thought he said 5 11.

I’m sure I’ve just made it all the more confusing.

Why is it pathetic? It’s impressive that being that height he was one of the most dominant HW champs at the time

Most likely he meant he was 5'10 by the slightest of margins, which would be a "pathetic" 5'10.

Tyson interview before his fight with Berbick. He claims that his height gives him leverage when it comes to throwing punches and helps when making opponents miss.

it really is tough to tell from pics. sugar ray leonard said he was "nowhere near" his listed 5-10 but he looks about an inch taller than the 5-9 Hagler and tyson looks a bit taller than leonard and he looks a few inches shorter than ali. It's hard to tell, a person's posture affects it too, escpecially when you have a muscular guy like tyson (or a tall guy, tall guys often slouch to not draw extra attention). hbo supposedly measured him on camera at 5-11 1/2 unless they doctored the footage or allowed him to wear heels, then that's what he was. might sound crazy but i've heard that height can fluctuate by about an inch or so. foreman was taller in his comeback than he was in the 70's, evander had a strange growth spurt, maybe because of all the chemicals, in his mid 20's. he was 6-1 as an ammie and he was 6-2.5 when he fought tyson. strange.

Tyson interview before his fight with Berbick. He claims that his height gives him leverage when it comes to throwing punches and helps when making opponents miss.

It can help a fighter but it really hurt him when he lost some of his skills. size/strength make a difference especially in that division. I remember when Toney was making inroads to the heavyweights, my answer to a friend was that he'd do well but that he wouldn't be able to beat the big punchers. Holyfield was a fine fighter but not on the night he fought Toney and he wasn't a big puncher.

JCVD is probably rocking some substantial lifts in his shoes. I can't envision Tyson being shorter than Van Damme.

Lets have a nice discussion before @Sunfish discovers the thread and starts pissing around.

Did you lose to @Sunfish at poker and had to let him have his way with your girl as collateral or something? Kind of amusing you consistently going after him in these threads lol

That's only because he was drunk/high, otherwise he probably wouldn't get into fights.
I wouldn't know but if he was serious about his business, he wouldn't be drunk or high to begin with, it leaves you vulnerable and makes you do stupid shit.

ya, I recall that one, I think wes said there wasn't a fight and of course he admitted that he wouldn't have been a match for him anyway. Tyson was wild back then so who knows. He also interesting said that "most fighters have never been in a streetfight" after the lewis loss which obviously didn't mean him and I don't think it would necessarily pertain to most fighters. Most fighters have grown up in conditions where they'd get into fights and unfortunately, a lot of fighters end up having to deal with issues from wannabees. It's interesting that Ali never had a problem like that that I'm aware of, he got in rare fights as a kid but as an adult you never hear of it even though he was always horsing around with people. Maybe Ali was just such a clown that people were too busy laughing with him. He was pretty easy going too so when someone got up in his face he didn't seem to have a problem backing down.

ya, I recall that one, I think wes said there wasn't a fight and of course he admitted that he wouldn't have been a match for him anyway. Tyson was wild back then so who knows. He also interesting said that "most fighters have never been in a streetfight" after the lewis loss which obviously didn't mean him and I don't think it would necessarily pertain to most fighters. Most fighters have grown up in conditions where they'd get into fights and unfortunately, a lot of fighters end up having to deal with issues from wannabees. It's interesting that Ali never had a problem like that that I'm aware of, he got in rare fights as a kid but as an adult you never hear of it even though he was always horsing around with people. Maybe Ali was just such a clown that people were too busy laughing with him. He was pretty easy going too so when someone got up in his face he didn't seem to have a problem backing down.

I was thinking about that too recently how Ali never got into fights outside the ring, or at least there are no stories about it.
But then again, there are a lot of boxers who didn't, like Holyfield.

That doesn't mean anything though...I have no doubt though that they could take care of themselves if it came down to it.
A bare knuckle punch from Ali could result in the loss of an eye.

I know that a middleweight (I'm not gonna mention his name) got in an argument with 3 aggressive teenagers who were armed with batons.
They approched him in an underground garage...he took away the batons from them and defended himself accodingly.
Of course he got into a lawsuit because his hands are registered as deadly weapons, but the judge understood that he was in the right
and wasn't too harsh with the penalty.

Last edited:
Back