Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder fight is set for December in Staples Center

Who wins?

• Total voters
If Wilder is all what his fans think, then Fury has absolutely no chance and will be blown away.

I think we may see a different fight in a reality though

yea I saw this too last week on 5dimes.

I might have to drop some coin on Wilder.

I don't understand why the odds are so close.

@Seano , @PUO3 , @nac386 , @JayE , and other regulars...

what are you thoughts on this fight?

am I completely missing something here?

I think they're pretty reasonable odds at the moment. If we had the Fury coming off the Wlad performance, I think he'd be a slight favourite (I'd still see it as a very tough fight to handicap, though). We might get that Fury, but there is a fair amount of reason to suspect that we won't, so Wilder being a bit of a favourite seems pretty reasonable.

As for how I see the fight, it's really tough to breakdown for a variety of reasons. They're both weird fighters. Wilder is a bizarre package of freak power, decent speed, great stamina, and sloppiness mixed with moments of genuine skill and polish. The biggest revelation from the Ortiz fight was that he is durable and mentally strong. As odd as it is to say about a guy who loses his shit when hurts a guy, he is actually patient and doesn't get demoralized even when he's getting outboxed. Maybe that changes against a better fighter, but Fury doesn't have the big power counter-punching deterrence that a guy like Ortiz had, and even though Fury is a genuinely good boxer and mover, he's not a defensive maestro.

At the same time, lesser boxers than Fury have given Wilder plenty of problems. If Fury is genuinely sharp (it's tough to make too much of his warm up bouts), then he'll pick up rounds on Wilder. I think he'll make mistakes, though. When Wlad finally stopped trying to outbox Fury and started going after him, he had some success. Wilder isn't going to come in and try to outbox Fury, he'll come after him, and he'll find some openings. Fury's durability and recovery (two things that aren't exactly helped by a 3 year hiatus where you balloon up 100 pounds while doing mountains of coke) will probably come into play at some point and could be the most important factor in the fight.

Weighing everything, I think it's most likely that Wilder eventually finds an opening and stops Fury after getting outboxed, but there is a ton of unpredictability in this matchup (to the point that I likely won't put money on it). The unpredictability makes this one of the more intriguing fights in the last number of years for me.

The odds should be very close imo. Fury might have been inactive for a while and looked unremarkable in his tune ups but from his training vids and physique hes arguably looking better than ever physically atm, and seems to be very focused mentally. He looks like a man on a mission. Theres also the possibility he was holding back against Pianeta and Seferi instead of showing his hand to Wilder, probably not the case but if anyone would do something like that its him.

Wilder has never given up a height or reach advantage as far as i'm aware, and on top of that Fury will probably have a good 30lbs or so on him too. Ortiz is the only opponent Wilder has faced who has comparable boxing ability to Fury but Ortiz is much smaller, older and less mobile (granted he hits harder).

Remember Wilder has gone 8 rounds with Arreola, 9 with Molina and Szpilka, 11 with Duhaupas and went the distance with Stiverne in the first fight. Those guys are much smaller and more hittable than Fury is, cant remember much of those fights tbf but I do remember he at least caught Szpilka and Duhaupas flush with a lot of heavy shots before he could stop them.

Not saying Wilder doesnt hit hard as fuck, he does, and because of that he does pose a significant threat whether its round 1 or 12 and whatever the scorecards say up to that point. But its probably not going to be as simple as land one flush and its all over.

Last thing to take into account is, lets be honest, the judges will not give close rounds to Fury and the ref will probably not allow him to take much of a beating, so that could be a factor.

Right now i'm 60/40 towards Fury. Gut feeling is he wins and then next year Joshua ends the fairytale comeback and silences the detractors by sparking him.

If Wilder is all what his fans think, then Fury has absolutely no chance and will be blown away.

I think we may see a different fight in a reality though
Really overblowing what his fans think.

yea I saw this too last week on 5dimes.

I might have to drop some coin on Wilder.

I don't understand why the odds are so close.

@Seano , @PUO3 , @nac386 , @JayE , and other regulars...

what are you thoughts on this fight?

am I completely missing something here?
I think the odds are accurate. Im going to take Wilder and Wilder ITD.

Is wilder the worst hw champ of all time actual boxing skill wise? He looks like an mma fighter in the boxing ring....

so what you're saying is, you're racist. got it.

no but seriously, I remember grossly underestimating Fury against Wlad as well. I was sure that Wlad would flatten him the fuck out, but fat ass Fury proved me wrong.

I think I may sit this one out.

I wasn't surprised that he 'outboxed' wlad and didn't get ko'd because wlad couldn't bully him, couldn't fight his usual fight, and doesn't like to get hit. My surprise was that Fury got a decision in Germany.

Wilder isn't going to be gun shy, so I expect this fight to look very different. I think Wilder knocks him out at some point, but I also think theres a decent chance that fury gets the stoppage. This fight will be much more open and Wilder will have to take some big risks trying to knock fury out, that could end up with him walking on to shots

Is wilder the worst hw champ of all time actual boxing skill wise? He looks like an mma fighter in the boxing ring....
No I don't think he is. He does a few things remarkable well. He has a decent stinging jab when he wants to use it. And his straight right hand is pretty good when he throws like that. And somehow he almost always manages to land his bombs. The fact that he's knocked out every man he has faced so far supports that. He does have some glaring faults though so I can see where you are coming from thinking he is unskilled. His footwork is quite clumsy and he often loses balance. But the fact is he gets results. It will be interesting to see how he copes with Fury who is probably the best boxer he will ever have faced. I think Fury will give him some real problems with his movement and skill set. But I wouldn't bet against Wilder managing somehow to get a home for that right hand.

Valuev and it’s not even close. The guy was champion because he was too big to hit

I'm another who thinks Wilder is going to beat Fury. Fury's been out too long and this fight is happening too soon. Wilder's a better boxer than people give him credit for as well. I think Fury will pick up some rounds but Wilder will be hurting him and eventually getting Fury out of there imo.

Valuev and it’s not even close. The guy was champion because he was too big to hit
Charles Martin, though

Always said I was a big fan of Fury, but I am thinking I want Wilder to win. Fury has said in recent interviews that he will likely retire again after this fight, and that he isn't really interested in fighting Joshua.

I like Fury more, but Wilder is American, will keep fighting if he were to win. If Fury wins and retired, it cuts off the lineal championship again.

Still picking Fury tho

Always said I was a big fan of Fury, but I am thinking I want Wilder to win. Fury has said in recent interviews that he will likely retire again after this fight, and that he isn't really interested in fighting Joshua.

I like Fury more, but Wilder is American, will keep fighting if he were to win. If Fury wins and retired, it cuts off the lineal championship again.

Still picking Fury tho
He ain't retiring, LOL

If Fury manages to win, he's essentially stolen the golden ticket that Wilder has been after. That's a huge payday fighting Joshua, I don't care how much Hearn tries to devalue the besides coming in against his boy... who ever wins THIS has the best payday potential against cashcow Joshua yet. Fury wont piss that away

I'm another who thinks Wilder is going to beat Fury. Fury's been out too long and this fight is happening too soon. Wilder's a better boxer than people give him credit for as well. I think Fury will pick up some rounds but Wilder will be hurting him and eventually getting Fury out of there imo.

Charles Martin, though

Yeah fair one!

Still picking Fury tho

Watched an old video of fury talking about sparring a young amateur kid who smacked him about for a few rounds until he figured him out! It seems he has more respect for Joshua than he lets on!
I think he’s a really tough fight for Joshua because of his movement. AJ struggles to close the distance to wlad until he slowed down. Furys gonna be much harder to hit

He ain't retiring, LOL

If Fury manages to win, he's essentially stolen the golden ticket that Wilder has been after. That's a huge payday fighting Joshua, I don't care how much Hearn tries to devalue the besides coming in against his boy... who ever wins THIS has the best payday potential against cashcow Joshua yet. Fury wont piss that away

Fury could easily get a fight with Joshua without wilder in reality. Tyson doesn’t seem difficult to deal with at all, the fight would be huge in Britain, and the fans would demand it. Wilder appears to be able to fight whoever he wants under the WBC whilst Joshua has mandatories. No one expected wilder to give fury the shot after only 2 fights back, and based on who he fought

Seems to me that wilder swapped his golden ticket for the fury fight

Fury could easily get a fight with Joshua without wilder in reality. Tyson doesn’t seem difficult to deal with at all, the fight would be huge in Britain, and the fans would demand it. Wilder appears to be able to fight whoever he wants under the WBC whilst Joshua has mandatories. No one expected wilder to give fury the shot after only 2 fights back, and based on who he fought

Seems to me that wilder swapped his golden ticket for the fury fight
Yeah there is a big difference between how the WBC treat Wilder with regards to mandatories and how the other belts treat Joshua. Whyte should have had his shot at Wilder by now being the WBC Silver belt holder but instead Wilder got to fight Fury who the WBC have ranked at no.3. Wilder won't fight Whyte probably ever, that much is clear from his actions and it doesn't look like the WBC will enforce it either.

Back