Tyson Fury looking in shape & ready for come back

I agree. His outside the ring problems are troublesome. But if he is able to come back and be the same? I think he continues winning. Hes so awkward in their but at the same time, his jab is sound, his techinque is good in the sense that it works for him and he has enough power to get by. Hes not 1973 Earnie Shavers. But I think he has some good power and has rocked/knocked out a lot of guys. Chisora whether or not you think hes a great fighter, went 12 rounds with Vitali in a back and forth fight. In his second fight with Fury he took such a bad beating he got stopped in the corner. and to make it even weirder Fury fought as a southpaw for most of the fight! Dillian Whyte hit him with some bombs as well and he stayed in there. I think Fury def has some power in him

I saw Chisora/Fury 2. It was more that Chisora was completely and utterly outclassed than anything else (as well as perhaps being in poor form, not that Chisora was going to beat that version of Fury regardless of the form he was in). Fury is a big enough puncher that it doesn't prevent him from being very good, but in certain matchups it could be a real detriment. Vitali/Chisora wasn't really a back and forth fight, either. It was an old broken down version of Vitali and it was a very one sided fight.

I do actually think Fury is a fairly gifted boxer (and actually a very gifted athlete for a man his size), but it's hard to look into the future and expect great things from someone with his temperament outside of the ring. He reminds me a bit of Tony Tubbs as a fighter. Problems outside the ring, questionable discipline, but a really skilled boxer when he actually puts things together.

I saw Chisora/Fury 2. It was more that Chisora was completely and utterly outclassed than anything else (as well as perhaps being in poor form, not that Chisora was going to beat that version of Fury regardless of the form he was in). Fury is a big enough puncher that it doesn't prevent him from being very good, but in certain matchups it could be a real detriment. Vitali/Chisora wasn't really a back and forth fight, either. It was an old broken down version of Vitali and it was a very one sided fight.

I do actually think Fury is a fairly gifted boxer (and actually a very gifted athlete for a man his size), but it's hard to look into the future and expect great things from someone with his temperament outside of the ring. He reminds me a bit of Tony Tubbs as a fighter. Problems outside the ring, questionable discipline, but a really skilled boxer when he actually puts things together.
I disagree on a few fronts. I thought Fury was puting beating on Chisora in addition to outclassing him. Ill take a look at it again though. And Vitali vs Chisora was relatively competitive for 12 rounds if i am remembering correctly. I remember Chisora having a lot of success going to the body. But again ill take a look at it.

And i think Fury is better than Tony Tubbs was. Tubbs rarely put it together. His win over Greg Page he did and the loss to Bowe he did. Tyson has been more consistent imo

I disagree on a few fronts. I thought Fury was puting beating on Chisora in addition to outclassing him. Ill take a look at it again though. And Vitali vs Chisora was relatively competitive for 12 rounds if i am remembering correctly. I remember Chisora having a lot of success going to the body. But again ill take a look at it.

And i think Fury is better than Tony Tubbs was. Tubbs rarely put it together. His win over Greg Page he did and the loss to Bowe he did. Tyson has been more consistent imo

Not sure that first-hand experience matters, but from ringside (& I was about twelve feet behind Chisora's corner) it didn't seem that Chisora was ever hurt by a punch (though he was rattled a fair few times), just demoralised & outclassed & suffering massive facial damage. He never really got to Fury like he did in the first fight, obviously hadn't trained to deal with a moving target, & was nullified every step he took & by midway through he was cut over the eyes & both were closing. He was also carrying too much timber & only really started hacking at the body during the fourth, about four rounds too late.

Like most modern heavyweight fights, if you're not emotionally-invested in either fighter, it was excruciating to watch from ringside, to be fair: the sort of thing where you scream at the bigger guy to "fucking do something! Stop backing up!" & at the smaller guy "Just fecking get to him! Why're you so passive?!?"

& then you watch it back on tape & realise it's one guy totally shutting down another, which is impressive, in its own way.

I think with Fury at his best—much like the Wlad fight—he wins on being so big & mobile & awkward & sneaky & using those attributes so well... His mission when his uncle is in his corner is "Win Ugly At All Costs", so you can't really appreciate it in pure "boxing" terms as it happens... If you go in as a spectator with that "boxing" mindset you're just gonna get disappointed. It's the Late Wlad blueprint without the power (but with enough pop to keep an opponent honest/stop them from wailing away with imnpunity).

Tony Tubbs was a much, much more gifted boxer. But I'd take an on-form Fury over Tubbs.

Not sure that first-hand experience matters, but from ringside (& I was about twelve feet behind Chisora's corner) it didn't seem that Chisora was ever hurt by a punch (though he was rattled a fair few times), just demoralised & outclassed & suffering massive facial damage. He never really got to Fury like he did in the first fight, obviously hadn't trained to deal with a moving target, & was nullified every step he took & by midway through he was cut over the eyes & both were closing. He was also carrying too much timber & only really started hacking at the body during the fourth, about four rounds too late.

Like most modern heavyweight fights, if you're not emotionally-invested in either fighter, it was excruciating to watch from ringside, to be fair: the sort of thing where you scream at the bigger guy to "fucking do something! Stop backing up!" & at the smaller guy "Just fecking get to him! Why're you so passive?!?"

& then you watch it back on tape & realise it's one guy totally shutting down another, which is impressive, in its own way.

I think with Fury at his best—much like the Wlad fight—he wins on being so big & mobile & awkward & sneaky & using those attributes so well... His mission when his uncle is in his corner is "Win Ugly At All Costs", so you can't really appreciate it in pure "boxing" terms as it happens... If you go in as a spectator with that "boxing" mindset you're just gonna get disappointed. It's the Late Wlad blueprint without the power (but with enough pop to keep an opponent honest/stop them from wailing away with imnpunity).

Tony Tubbs was a much, much more gifted boxer. But I'd take an on-form Fury over Tubbs.
Hmm ill take a look at the fight later today. Perhaps i am mistaken.

Anyways,

While I agree Tubbs was talented i am not really buying that he would have given Fury problems.

Tubbs isnt like Kirkland Laing where he was talented but troubled, but still put on a fantastic performance against an ATG.

Tubbs had a 9-6ish type fight with Greg Page where he won his title. Some years later he had a back and forth fight with Riddick Bowe where some thought he should have gotten the nod. I honestly havent seen that fight, but ill add it to the to do list. Strangely i have seen the page fight but not the Bowe one lol.

But imo he never put it together in a way that suggests hes on Fury's level or would beat fury.

Fighters make money and just stop trying. No dedication, no hunger.....well....actually nevermind...the wrong kinda hunger

He sucked before the Klitschko fight, and I doubt he will even be that good anymore, considering he has mentally cracked. Wilder, while not very good himself, knocks Fury's head off.

Back