Tyrone Woodley:"Maia Told Me He Wanted A Break"

Yes, but champions can't wait for contenders. Get someone else in there and give Maia the next shot.
Bullshit and you know it.
Any fight is a consensus by both parties.
Let us not forget Woodley himself shot movies like Sultan (2016) that were shot right before his title shot, while he sat and waited.
So don't tell me Robbie could have called him to fight while he was filming, it would be ok to move to the next contender instead.

It's not happening regardless of what Woodley does or doesn't say.
He's pushing because he was apparently told he could be on one of the summer cards earlier in the year, but Diaz didn't want to entertain a fight. He's just trying to get on the Jones/DC card. It's not happening, it'll already happen later in the year. This was just a last push, probably a quote from before Cyborg/Megan was confirmed.
I see.
Interesting point, one I did not think of.
I still think this is probably a mental game, just to mess with Maia and his title shot, but I can see how he would want to get into a good card (and make more money) instead of being the main event on a lesser card...

Maybe he wants to stay active and be part of one of the biggest cards this year, in 214?

Or he's angling for the fights he's been whining for forever. STFU and fight and build a legacy. FFS

Sounds like UFC is planting the seeds to set up another money fight, by trying to force Maia to take this fight on short-ish notice then if he doesn't, giving someone else like GSP or Nick DIaz a title shot.

look again.
Fought Gastelum at January 31, 2015.
his next fight was his title shot on July 30, 2016.
Yeah, someone else showed me the errors of my way. Conclusion was I need to learn to read better.

Yeah, someone else showed me the errors of my way. Conclusion was I need to learn to read better.
hahaha no worries!
we are all guilty of misreading things from time to time :)

Please, check The comment I made on a similar thread ,
Called "I don't understand Maia" or something like that. Things are not how Tyron is making them seem. We will see what happens. In the end, it's not really about what Demian wants, or what Woodley wants, but also with what the UFC wants and can do, and how this is doable for all parts involved. The rest is just attempts at using the media for pressure.

Maia just fought less than a month ago, and it was only a 3 round fight.

He needs more time to prepare for a five round title fight than one month.

Woodley is shady

Even when Woodley is actively campaigning to fight a top contender people like you still find a way to bitch. What would YOU like him to do pal? Say he doesn't want the fight so you can really shit on him?
I'm not bitching. Respect to Tyron for staying active.

UFC fucked up by having Maia fight Jorge. 2 months is a pretty fast turn around for a title fight. I'd love to see the fight but I'm not entirely sure what Maia means by a "break".

Shitty situation for both fighters. UFC doesn't know what they're doing. Had Maia just been able to wait for Tyron, this fight would be booked already. Neither fighter is to blame.

Please, check The comment I made on a similar thread ,
Called "I don't understand Maia" or something like that. Things are not how Tyron is making them seem. We will see what happens. In the end, it's not really about what Demian wants, or what Woodley wants, but also with what the UFC wants and can do, and how this is doable for all parts involved. The rest is just attempts at using the media for pressure.

What is the actual situation? Because what it seems to most of us is that Tyron Woodley wanted to fight over the summer, but Maia won't be ready and Woodley is just angling for a bout that probably won't happen.

But he did take a break, for over a year and a half and refused fights constantly during that period of time. Demanding a titleshot without ever earning it.

Maia on the other-hand has been fighting very regularly and has been promised a shot at the title multiple times - he should have got the shot over Woodley in the first place. Woodley won a split decision over a bloated Gastelum - took a break for a year and then fought for the title.

Maia deserves a break if he wants one at this point, he's steamrolled the entire WW division to get this shot finally handed to him - although I will only believe he has the shot when he's standing in front of Woodley on the other side of the cage.

It's totally different bro, Maia earned this spot by NOT taking a break and fighting anyone. Woodley fought no one and took a self imposed break without fighting the top challangers - which Maia did. First thing Woodley did when he got the belt was call out a guy who is 0-2-1 in his last 3 fights.
You forgot to add Johnny Hendricks messed up the number 1 contenders fight between him and Woodley by missing weight and getting hospitalized.

I've always been of the opinion if the champ is ready the ufc should get him on the first card possible. Ideally he'd fightthe #1 contender but if that person is not ready you kind of go on down the line. This is a bit of a weird circumstance cuz literally only maia is deserving but that doesn't really matter to me, if the champ wants to fight a lot he should be able to. Give him kamaru usman. Dude has no hype but he's done pretty well for himself and the fight doesn't need to be huge if its on the Jones-DC card. Maia can just get next.
While I generally agree with you, there has to be some leeway. It was UFC's fault they gave Maia a unnecessary bout in May, so now you have to allow some time for him to rest then set up a camp. Just the way it goes.

Keep in mind Maia fighting in August/September would be a quick turnaround of only 3-4 months.

Last edited:
Yep.

Tyron has shown us for the past several years that he is deeply irrational and completely dishonest in his presentation of "facts."

The guy also sat out for an absurd amount of time while whining for a title shot he never really deserved after a slew of losses.

Will never be a Cryin Woodley fan.
Only dishonest person was WB who campaigned that Woodley was trying to duck him when they both knew 10 days after Woodley won the title they were each other. They had to keep it hush-hush for the NYC card but WB acted like Woodley didn't want to fight him

Didn't woodley "take a break" for one and a half years before fighting for the belt?
Besides, this is pretty low from TW. Mais noted he had previous commitments right after his fight with Masvidal.
So calling maia out AFTER Maia noted he had a previous commitment is pretty low IMHO.
This

Maia just fought less than a month ago, and it was only a 3 round fight.

He needs more time to prepare for a five round title fight than one month.

Woodley is shady
saying you need a break is different than saying you want to prepare. Maia is stupid for ever mentioning wanting a break. He's just opening the door to get passed over again by showing that he's not that hungry for the belt.

Does it matter if Woodley is lying? He should say stuff to get Maia pissed. Thats his right and job as champion.

Back