Tyron Woodley Is In Discussions To Headline UFC 219. Nothing Yet Finalized.

Ariel mentioned UFC pulled a rabbit out their hat. I’m guessing it’s Nate Diaz.

Just posted a thread on this. Would shock me but I wouldn't hate it.
Usman and Till don't deserve title shots yet, but if they want to keep the division moving, I guess?

Maybe RDA/Lawler is off with one of the guys hurt, and they are secretly working out a fight with Woodley. That's the only thing that makes sense if it isn't Colby. I highly doubt GSP is coming back before the end of the year. And giving Nick a title shot would be absolutely ridiculous. And surely they aren't doing Wonderboy 3...

Possiblities:

Covington - highest ranked available contender
Nate Diaz - Just entered a fight camp according to his trainer
GSP - Really don't see him taking a fight on short notice
Ferguson - He's crazy
Usman - Already in training camp, apparently Meek might be having visa issues

Ariel mentioned UFC pulled a rabbit out their hat. I’m guessing it’s Nate Diaz.
too expensive, since he expects to get that Conor fight sooner or later, unless they give Nate Conor as the fight opponent he ain't doing shit, he made too much money during those two Conor fights to take orders from anyone. The UFC really has to pay him, and it is probably not worth it for the UFC unless they put Nate against Conor?

I will say this unequivocally: if Nate Diaz gets a shot at the 170 pound belt against Tyron Woodley at UFC 219, I'm out. All the way out. I'll even give up my blues.

Imagine if Nate won that Conor would be rushing to sign a contract for the 3rd fight.
would be a dream scenario for UFC. It makes the third fight so much bigger and allows McGregor to pursue a third belt if Diaz pulled off upset, it’s also one of the only ways they can make a Woodley fight sell since GSP is out.

Edit: unless robbie gets moved up and they make RDA vs Covington.

I like that proposal a lot. It would make sense to move Lawler up, and RDA would probably beat Covington.

However, I'll believe Woodley fighting at UFC 219 when I see it. My suspicion is that he didn't just offer to fight out of the goodness of his heart. I'm SURE he had some silly demand, trying to use the leverage that the card needs a main event.

Woodley probably demanded to fight GSP or McGregor, or requested something silly like 5 million dollars guaranteed to fight. If it's Woodley vs Lawler, he's getting 500k + PPV cut, and that's it.

About 6 weeks left to this event, they must have been more skilled to avoid leaks because something tells me that both parts who are about to paricipate in this main event is already in camp?
Why would they not?

Any press conferences scheduled?

It'll be a calculated fight by Woodley, later filled with excuses from him blaming the boring fight on his opponent. I'm excited.

Just announce it already! I don't wanna get excited for nothing....

Back