Tyron Woodley has only fought 4 times since January 2015

Alpha_T83

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
One thing that annoys me about this forum is people saying Tyron is one of the most active champions.

Yes, Tyron did fight 4 times in 12 months between July 2016 and July 2017. However, what people forget is that he had 18 months off before his title fight against Robbie Lawler!! Since his split-decision win against Gastelum in January 2015, Tyron Woodley has only fought 4 times. That's 4 fights in almost 3 years.

A lot of fighters could stay active after that amount of time off, and Tyron probably didn't have a choice -- I'm sure he had bills to pay and after 18 months without a fight. Now that he's champion and more financially secure, surprise surprise -- he hasn't fought in 6 months and has no scheduled fight in sight.

And don't give me the injury excuse: Tyron should have had his shoulder surgery back in SEPTEMBER (link below), but waited 3 months trying to "rehab" his injury. He just dragged out having his surgery to give himself an excuse and avoid contenders.

Link that Tyron knew he needed surgery in September 2017:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...rgery-for-shoulder-injury-considering-options

Now that Tyron has some money, I predict he will be very selective with his fights.

To be fair, Tyron did average 3 fights per year from the start of his career until his fight with Gastelum (18 fights over six years between February 2009 and January 2015). However, now that he's fighting top contenders regularly he will likely fall to 1, maybe 2 fights per year. That's not exactly what I'd call a very active champion. Pretty average, actually.

Because Johny Pig Rig fucked up with his weight cut, and Woodley waited for his title shot, dummy.

He wasn't even injured in those 18 months he sat out. He was adamant that he deserved a title shot after a weak split decision win over Gastelum. So he pouted and sat on the sidelines until there were no more legit challengers and the time was right.

Ermmm, but he won the title and defended it 3 times within a year. That 100% makes him an active CHAMPION.

All the WW contenders were booked when they tried to get him a fight at 219. Hence they chose Nate (lol)

Now, there's talks about him coaching TUF against Colby, so he's as active as the UFC wants him to be.

He wasn't even injured in those 18 months he sat out. He was adamant that he deserved a title shot after a weak split decision win over Gastelum. So he pouted and sat on the sidelines until there were no more legit challengers and the time was right.
This.

More like Dana White promised him a title shot and Woodley held him to his word.

He broke his foot in the Gastelum fight. Stop being misinformed

Screen_Shot_2015-02-03_at_9.21.15_AM.0.png

Who gives a shit? Seriously. None of anything you said matters

One thing that annoys me about this forum is people saying Tyron is one of the most active champions.

Yes, Tyron did fight 4 times in 12 months between July 2016 and July 2017. However, what people forget is that he had 18 months off before his title fight against Robbie Lawler!! Since his split-decision win against Gastelum in January 2015, Tyron Woodley has only fought 4 times. That's 4 fights in almost 3 years.

A lot of fighters could stay active after that amount of time off, and Tyron probably didn't have a choice -- I'm sure he had bills to pay and after 18 months without a fight. Now that he's champion and more financially secure, surprise surprise -- he hasn't fought in 6 months and has no scheduled fight in sight.

And don't give me the injury excuse: Tyron should have had his shoulder surgery back in SEPTEMBER (link below), but waited 3 months trying to "rehab" his injury. He just dragged out having his surgery to give himself an excuse and avoid contenders.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...rgery-for-shoulder-injury-considering-options

Now that Tyron has some money, I predict he will be very selective with his fights.

To be fair, Tyron did average 3 fights per year from the start of his career until his fight with Gastelum (18 fights over six years between February 2009 and January 2015). However, now that he's fighting top contenders regularly he will likely fall to 1, maybe 2 fights per year. That's not exactly what I'd call a very active champion. Pretty average, actually.
No moron.

Woodley specifically said he was going to sit out until he got his promised TS because he didn't need fighting for money. He specifically said he had other avenues of income so he didn't mind waiting for a TS. I like how you didn't mention he came back to a title fight. LOL at "he had bills to pay." Right there gave away that you don't actually no the story and are just trying to bash Woodley.

And Woodley was trying to headline UFC 219. Nate Diaz turned the fight down. He also gave his reasoning for potentially fighting Nate instead of getting surgery.

“Fighting at UFC 219 was a Nate Diaz or nothing situation for me. You know mentally I was already rehabbing my shoulder. I was trying to see if I could go the stem cell and rehab route versus the surgical route. And thinking about all of the guys in my weight class that are coming up have the wrestling background and what not, it is tough to fight those guys with a shoulder that is unstable. There is a lot of under hooking, clinching, wrist control, breaking locks and close quarter static wrestling that you need your shoulder to be one hundred percent for. Nate (Diaz) just wasn’t that type of opponent. I felt like it would have been a tough fight and a stand up war. It would have been a nice handsome payday for myself. It would have also directly connected me to potential fights with Conor (McGregor) and maybe Nick Diaz. He probably would have wanted to try and avenge his baby brothers loss. So it was a strategic play for me that made sense and I said ‘I’m in’. I’m really surprised Nate didn’t take the fight though. Especially with the knowledge that I was hurt and might need surgery.”

That's normal. Most guys dont fight much once they reach the UFC.

Most guys it seems fight 1-2x per year.

...AND I am thankful

The dude may not have fought a ton the 2 years prior to becoming champ, but atleast he defends a shit ton. Better than the opposite IMO.

More like Dana White promised him a title shot and Woodley held him to his word.
This. My only issue with the now with tyron is he has that complex that people don't deserve to fight him. I hate champions with that attitude

3fptYu4.gif
Me reading the OP...

No Goofy.

Hendricks vs Woodley was suppose to be a contender's fight. Hendricks pulled out. DW then announced they Woodley would be given the next title shot.

Instead of being screwed by DW Woodley stuck to his guns and sat out until DW made good on his word.

Is something wrong with canadian fans in here or what?

Back